Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Won't play anything. (Read 4261 times) previous topic - next topic

Won't play anything.

I did a full install on Windows 7. Maybe this is a common error? I'm sorry if it is, but I searched around. All the topics I could find were only relevant to Vista.

Foobar won't play any music. I'll click on the play button, and it will show up as "Opening..." for a quick second before reverting to "Stopped".

I read someone suggesting to turn on hardware acceleration for my soundcard, but dxdiag has no option for that.

Any help is appreciated!

D:

Won't play anything.

Reply #1
What is your output set to?
File -> Preferences -> Playback -> Output -> Device Dropdown

Try setting it to DS: Primary Sound Driver

Won't play anything.

Reply #2
Check your output settings in the preferences, change the device to your soundcard.

whoops too slow
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Won't play anything.

Reply #3
I tried both of the options and neither of them worked.

I should also reveal that I have ASIO4all running on my lappy.

Won't play anything.

Reply #4
I tried both of the options and neither of them worked.

Can you turn on the console view when this happens? Perhaps there is some information in there that may help identify the problem.

Also, just to make sure, you can hear sounds with other apps and stuff right?

Won't play anything.

Reply #5
Yup, all the sound from my lappy is running fine. Just played a few LofL games while waiting for some advice.

I opened up the console and all it recorded was:

Watching: D:\mine\Demos
Watching: D:\My Music
Album List refreshed in: 0:00.127582
Startup time : 0:00.352247
Album List refreshed in: 0:00.055219
Album List refreshed in: 0:00.134517

I spammed the play button while this was open and nothing happened. The copypaste here was made right before I closed it.

Thanks for your help! I really wanna use this player. I can't take this iTunes crap anymore. Bonjour, QuickTime, "Would you like to update to a larger but not any more useful...", etc.

Won't play anything.

Reply #6
The console in fb2k (view->Console) doesn't give you any errors?

I should point out that ASIO4all is pointless to use with fb2k.
elevatorladylevitateme

Won't play anything.

Reply #7
I'm not using ASIO4all with fb2k. All I said was that it was on my computer for other applications.

Errors did not show up in the console. I copy pasted what was there onto this thread.

Won't play anything.

Reply #8
Yup, I can hear sounds from other apps.

I opened up the console and all I got was:

Watching: D:\mine\Demos
Watching: D:\My Music
Album List refreshed in: 0:00.127582
Startup time : 0:00.352247 (I clickspammed play around here)
Album List refreshed in: 0:00.055219
Album List refreshed in: 0:00.134517

Won't play anything.

Reply #9
I seem to experience the same problem.

Foobar used to work fine, but recently I did a clean install of Windows 7 after purchasing an SSD. Now Foobar refuses to play any track when I:
1] double-click on it in the playlist
2] clicking the 'play' arrow on the menu bar
2] choose 'play' from the playback dropdown menu
3] use the play button on my natural multimedia keyboard

It does play a track when I choose 'play' from the context menu, but it stops after one track.

Just like leslie I do not get any error messages in the console, and Foobar can be seen to attempt to open the track before stopping.

I have done multiple clean installs, with or without the latest SP and updates for Windows 7. I have tried the latest stable build (1.1.7)  and the latest beta (1.1.8 beta 4), both of which used to work before I bought the SSD and reinstalled Windows 7. Playback output is set to Primary Sound Driver.

My OS is installed on C: (the SSD), Foobar is installed on M: (a hard disk partition that holds my music files). Access permissions seem to be correct.

Any suggestions?

edit:

I activated the 'Library Viewer Selection' playlist with the 'activate when changed' option, and Foobar playback functionality works on all files displayed within that playlist, but only after I play the first track using the context menu. When stopping playback, I can't start up a track by double-clicking it, but when I use the 'play' button on the menu bar it works, and then (while a track is playing) I can use double-click to change tracks.

Deactivating 'Library Viewer Selection' disables virtually all playback functionality again. When I then (for instance) send a complete album to the playback queue, it plays the tracks when I use the 'play' button in the menu bar, skipping one track ahead with each press of the button.

Then I sent a complete album to a New Playlist, and full playback functionality was available in the created playlist.

So it seems playback functionality is compromised on the default playlist (created from monitoring one of my music folders on M:), but works fine on other playlists? I can't help but think it has something to do with some Windows 7 UAC setting, but I can't figure out which exactly.

Won't play anything.

Reply #10
What do you have set as action for double click on your playlist viewer, and which one do you use?
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Won't play anything.

Reply #11
What do you have set as action for double click on your playlist viewer, and which one do you use?

It is a clean install of Foobar without any changes, so everything is default.  I did not assign any action to double-click myself, so it should be 'play'. It's completely vanilla.

The fact that Foobar attempts to open the file but then stops indicates to me double-click indeed corresponds to 'play'. If you can tell me where to check this setting I would be grateful since I can't seem to find it myself.

Won't play anything.

Reply #12
I am beginning to think it is mostly a misunderstanding on leslie and my side.

I am assuming that we both are trying to play directly from the Album List/Media Library View tab, but this is not allowed. Standard double-click action in this list is Expand/Collapse, other options are limited to actions involving playlists, not single tracks.

We should tick the 'Library viewer selection playlist' option on the Media Library tab and then (for instance) click on 'All Music' in the Media Library window to create a playlist of all tracks in the Library Viewer Selection tab in the Playlist window.

Apologies for any confusion caused, seems I am not as familiar with Foobar functionality as I thought I was. Must be the changes made since incorporating the expanded user interface options a while back.