Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz in Vista? (Read 12596 times) previous topic - next topic

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz in Vista?

Has anyone gotten a Santa Cruz to work with Vista?  I'm about to install Vista because my girlfriend likes the "eye candy."  I've read horror stories on the web.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #3
Maybe they mean, if it works on vista then you are lucky, but dont call us for tips or howto get it working if it doesnt.

I belive its an older card, i  heard about it 10 years ago, it was the best audio card if i rememeber right.

Reply #4
Yeah, I know TB doesn't support it any more.  I guess I'll try and see what happens/
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #6
Yeah, I know it's not supported, but they did *unofficially* support it during the beta stages of Vista and I know that there are a number of folks here that have or had used the Santa Cruz.

Reply #7
http://support.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/585219833.asp

Wow! Now not only clueless persons are spreading FUD about Windows Vista, but hardware manufacturers have joined in. Outstanding.

*sigh*

-  We recommend Vista only to those who simply insist on using the cutting
  edge of Microsoft operating systems, and who don't necessarily have a
  particular task to accomplish with their computers.

I don't know about you, but that's one of the funniest things I've read recently. "We recommend Vista to shallow trendwhores who don't actually use their computers."

I didn't think I could love TB any more, but here we are.

Reply #8
You know a soundcard is old when you can get it for 3.90 Euro from an eBay Powerseller.

Reply #9
Yeah, I know it's not supported, but they did *unofficially* support it during the beta stages of Vista and I know that there are a number of folks here that have or had used the Santa Cruz.

I have the Santa Cruz during the XP age as well. Now I am on Vista.

Frankly, even their last XP driver still needs some work. I am not confident that their Vista driver is really stable. Though I hope you can get this good card work on Vista.

Reply #10

Frankly, even their last XP driver still needs some work. I am not confident that their Vista driver is really stable. Though I hope you can get this good card work on Vista.

I never had any issues with my SC under XP. Not on my last computer anyway. Unfortunately the SC causes my new computer to hard lock when I try to install it. I guess integrated audio isn't that bad, although it has been far buggier than the SC ever was. I do like the way it automatically downmixes 5.1 to two channel.

The Santa Cruz sleeps for now...

Reply #11

indeed, the XP driver is very buggy (the latest version even buggier than the pre-last release). It generates a BSOD if you change stuff in the turtle beach control panel (switched between headphones/speakers for versajack, enable/disable equaliser) multiple times and at the same time you have extended uptime periods (like 30-50 days). Not touching those, and my PC can easily get hundreds of days of uptime in XP.

I can see that MS changed the way the audio stack works in Vista when a very significant percentage of the BSODs in XP were generated by bad audio drivers...

Reply #12
works no prob for me in vista, with the xp drivers ( the sc_4193.exe ones)

i can't remember is the installer worked but i certainly got the card working and the santacruz control panel app just fine
"...ambience?, I AM ambience!"

Reply #13
I can't recall ever having a crash with the XP driver but I only keep my system up for 3-4 days max before I reboot out of habit or necessity.
"Have you ever been with a woman? It's like death. You moan, you scream and then you start to beg for mercy, for salvation"

Reply #14
Well, I used a couple of TBSCs on a number of systems under XP and never had any issues.

Slightly OT, and bound to cause some fun(!!), I am having trouble getting my head round the idea that any sentient being would even look at Vista in the first place! 

But just to keep some perspective and demonstrate that I too need help, I currently have these available/in use:

Audigy 2
X-Fi Extreme Music
Audiophile 2496
Terratec SixPack 5.1
Hercules Game Theater 7.1

The last two are, of course, close relatives of the TBSC. The Hercules even has official 32 bit Vista drivers!!