Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: soundcards (Read 6972 times) previous topic - next topic

soundcards

i was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions as far as soundcards go.  i was looking for something that can playback 5.1 so i can watch dvd's on my home theater system, but at the same time something that i could record things easily w/ multiple inputs (im a drummer).  im looking to keep the cost as low as possible, but i would really appreciate anyones suggestions.  basically im just looking for something w/ exceptional sound quality for a reasonable price.  thanks in advance.

soundcards

Reply #1
Depends on what you consider a reasonable price... In the $50-100 price range, I´d recommend Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo II or VideoLogic SonicFury... I wouldn´t recommend any Creative SoundBlaster cards since they have poor hardware compatibility and "noise shielding"... But that´s just my opinion...

soundcards

Reply #2
A nice soundcard for the professional musician is the Audiophile 2496, which features 4 in/4 out.

Of course, the price tag is a bit steep there compared to the card suggested in the previous postings - you should be able to pick it up for U$150 in music stores.

The only drawback, perhaps, is that you can't connect the audio wire from your CD-ROM directly to the card, but that won't affect its capability to deliver decent sound for your home theater system.

soundcards

Reply #3
another vote for the ap 24/96...

soundcards

Reply #4
Originally posted by Amadeus
A nice soundcard for the professional musician is the Audiophile 2496, which features 4 in/4 out.

The only drawback, perhaps, is that you can't connect the audio wire from your CD-ROM directly to the card, 

And hey,  you want better sound,  why aren't you using direct digital reading from CD to your really good DAC in the sound card anyway?  ;-)

Don't know if for every player there is a solution,  but  copah's CD reader plugin is a way to go,  for Apollo, Sonique, and Winamp...

http://www.url.ru/~copah/CDReader.htm

soundcards

Reply #6
I recommend you Midiman (M-Audio) product
Hi-Quality=Reasonable price,i using Delta Audiophile 24/96
DELTA44 or DELTA66 include 4in-4OUT 24bit/96kHz Samplerate.

soundcards

Reply #7
Originally posted by fewtch
IMHO, the best "consumer" sound card is the Turtle Beach (Voyetra) Santa Cruz.  At under , you can't go wrong.

Edit -- it will do 5.1.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/s...producthome.asp
Same card as the VideoLogic SonicFury... In fact, it even says "Turtle Beach" on the box and "within" the drivers...  http://www.videologic.com/Images/JPG/Produ...00/VL-60444.jpg

Fortissimo II from Hercules is a cheaper version of the circuitry, but it works just fine... Offers just about the same functions as its "brother"...

I´d bet both VideoLogic SonicFury and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz costs approximatly the same... Not sure though...

soundcards

Reply #8
If your just looking for 5.1 SPDIF out put then you cant go wrong with the Zoltrix Nightengale Pro for $40. Plug and Play with XP/2K unlike any other sound card I've tried.

Whatever you do though..avoid Creative cards like the plague:)