Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ipod battery story true? (Read 5726 times) previous topic - next topic

Ipod battery story true?

Yikes!  Anybody know if this is true about the Ipod?

Ipod's Dirty Little Secret

Ipod battery story true?

Reply #1
It was indeed true, but now Apple has backed off of their previous position and you can get out-of-warranty battery replacement service from Apple for the low, low price of $105.95
edited syntax

Ipod battery story true?

Reply #2
Well depends what you're asking. Does the iPods battery commonly go dead in 18 months? No. Did his? Seems like it. Did Apple have a cheap replacement option? No. Do they now? Yes. Are there cheaper solutions to be had for quite some time? Yes.

Ipod battery story true?

Reply #3
I don't think there's a good excuse for making the battery non-modular in a case like this. Creative does exactly the same thing with the nomad ZEN, IIRC.
The replacement after warranty expiration costing what it did was pretty obviously customer gouging, which Apple has done before (like so many others).

Knowing Apple, it probably "clashed with their aesthetic vision" to have external lines on the back of the casing where a battery slot would be. Put it inside then!

Either that or they thought $299 replacement fees after warranty expiration were profitable. Which I have no doubt that they were in the instances that people bothered to go through with it.

Ipod battery story true?

Reply #4
Blessingx: yes, you can get a non-Apple replacement, but then it voids your warranty (although by the time your battery dies your warranty sure better be over).

Ipod battery story true?

Reply #5
The problem with the cases I encountered so far is that it was not the battery the problem. It was the iPod's Power Manager that went berserk.
(30 Min lifespan on charge rather that 8/12 H)

The solution is to open the iPod (not for the weak) disconnect the battery, wait some secs and replug it. The results were always good. Finding back the standard battery life.

It's sad that Apple has not included either a hidden switch or a procedure in the firmware to reset that *%$#  Power Manager, that would have helped a lot.

Ipod battery story true?

Reply #6
Blessingx: yes, you can get a non-Apple replacement, but then it voids your warranty (although by the time your battery dies your warranty sure better be over).

If your country has a half-way decent consumer protection legislation, that shouldn't be a problem since Apple would have to replace the battery. For instance, in Denmark, if the iPod breaks within the two year protection period, you are entitled to have it fixed - at no charge. I assume it's pretty much the same in the rest of the EU.

Ipod battery story true?

Reply #7
People in the UK haven't realised but everywhere in the EU has to give you 24 months repair/replace warranty on goods sold (so ignore the 12 months warranty being up guys get back to that store and point out your rights!)

Ipod battery story true?

Reply #8
Damn, I almost feel like I SHOULD move to the EU.
r3mix zealot.