Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Search issue in 1.4b11 or am I missing something? (Read 1653 times) previous topic - next topic

Search issue in 1.4b11 or am I missing something?

Hi,
Well, normally I listen to Trance and Progressive House, but I like all the good music, not only electronic, so today it happened that I wanted to listen to "Get Lost" by Gossip. I switched to playlist with all my physical CDs ripped, hit F3 and typed "GET LOST". Exactly "GET LOST" as Caps Lock was accidentally pressed a while ago. And guess what - I found nothing... I switched off Caps Lock and typed simply "get lost" and I found the track that I wanted to listen to. I thought that maybe "get" and "lost" are some key words, as at least "get" seems to be HTTP command - I was thinking about searching in foobar with words like HAS, IS, NOT. So I just witched CL on again and typed "JOYFUL NOISE". And again nothing showed up. Typing "joyful noise" returned whole Gossip album.

So - is it a new bug or is it an old feature, that search queries typed in Caps Lock does not give results? I never tried that before...

Re: Search issue in 1.4b11 or am I missing something?

Reply #2
Aaaand? Does that asymmetric search disregard "all-caps" strings? I remember it was all about diacritic characters (in Polish: ą, ę, ś, ć, ń, ż, ź, ó, ł). And as far as I remember it was supposed to work like this:
- non diacritic search gives both non diacritic and diacritic results;
- diacritic search gives only diacritic results

EDIT:
Looks you edited your post with link. Seems we have tertiary model, while secondary could be better...

Reply #3
Since the change log refers to "similiar" , only the dev's can really answer .

Reply #4
&
Menu\File\Preferences\Advanced\Networking --> Keep reconnecting dropped connections for (seconds): 10
Not working on 1.4 beta 11!

Reply #5
&
Menu\File\Preferences\Advanced\Networking --> Keep reconnecting dropped connections for (seconds): 10
Not working on 1.4 beta 11!

Don't hijack a topic, make your own. Your post has nothing to do with the topic of this thread which is about search issues.

Reply #6
All caps query isn't disregarded. It finds matches that use the same spelling. In my opinion the current search is optimal, type lower case letters to get as loose matching as possible and if you know exact spelling, use that and get only 100% matching hits. If you disagree, please explain why. Forgetting caps lock on isn't a good reason.

Reply #7
In my opinion the current search is optimal, type lower case letters to get as loose matching as possible and if you know exact spelling, use that and get only 100% matching hits. (...) 
Forgetting caps lock on isn't a good reason.

Hm. OK. I have to admit, it sounds reasonable :)
Sorry for all the bother.

Reply #8
Yeah, this is A Good Thing [tm] - especially for those who have more music by Pärt than I have.

Reply #9
All caps query isn't disregarded. It finds matches that use the same spelling. In my opinion the current search is optimal, type lower case letters to get as loose matching as possible and if you know exact spelling, use that and get only 100% matching hits.
That's the way incremental search also works in GNU Emacs, and I like it!

Reply #10
Stop your necroposting already.