Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CPU benchmarks for Samsung GT-S5830 (Read 5382 times) previous topic - next topic

CPU benchmarks for Samsung GT-S5830

Phone: Samsung GTS 5830 / Android 2.3.6 / player = PowerAmp

Wavpack Lossless :

wv fast  - 12%
wv        - 15%
wv high - 20%
wv vhigh- 26%

Wavpack Lossy:

wv 320        -  19%
wv 320 vhigh -  29%

Lossless Others:

flac        - 10%
ape fast  - 28%
ape        - 40%
ape high  - 55%
ape extra->70%  (phone  slow +  hot !) Audio played fine though.

Lossy others:

mp3 320      - 23%
ogg 320        - 19%
aac SBR/PS - 24%
aac LC 320  - 14%
mpc 320        - 13%

Reply #1
This is only one test but I hope it shatters some myths. IMO Wavpack normal / fast mode can be competitive with flac. WV -h is also 'fast' and -hh is heavier but only a bit more compared to mp3  / ogg.  The -h -hh are faster encodes / better compression than flac -8 and competitive with APE -c1000

Monkeys Audio which has been criticized for slow cpu decoding. The -c1000 fast mode is a surprise. On par with WV -hh and maybe a bit faster to encode and compress slightly worse. The -c2000 normal mode was heavier @ 40% but the phone and playback were fine. This is still acceptable for those needing extra compression , the encoding is fast, decoding a bit worst than WV -hh.  -C3000 high mode also played ok but cpu was %55 .  Maybe this is the absolute maximum for compression freaks. Its still encodes fast but IMO -c2000 is more sensible while -c1000 for raw speed while still better than flac -8 for compression and much faster. The -c4000 extra high may produce a disaster. Phone slow and HOT, slow seeking, cpu >70%.  Not suitable IMO only for PC use or for better H/W. Its also encodes much slower to wv -hh and the other modes but better compression.

Reply #3
Interesting results.

However ARM9 and ARM11 are considered  as legacy. The most of mobile device today have Cortex A chip which have NEON instrustion set. Even  Cortex A9 is considered today as  "old" .
All low-budget lines with ARM11 were replaced by Cortex A5 a few years ago. 

Reply #4
Great post shadowking.

I've been listening to my lossy WV files (encoding params as per my sig, no correction files on mobile) on my budget Motorola Moto G 4G (1st Generation, Qualcomm MSM8926 Snapdragon 400, Lollipop 5.1.1) via Rocket Player Premium for more'n 2 years now and still haven't been able to notice any additional battery drain compared to MP3 VBR or AAC TVBR playback.
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100