Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is it possible to detect if the source was audio-CD or some lossy form (Read 12884 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it possible to detect if the source was audio-CD or some lossy form

I have some CDs that I'm not sure if I burned them from mp3 files or if I made a 1 to 1 CD-copy. Is there a way to find out if the source was mp3 or CD? I have the original CDs as well, ripped to FLAC, for reference.

Reply #1
That could be a challenge, when making an audio CD all input will simply become CD audio. If the mp3s were very compressed you could just tell by bad sound quality.

Reply #2
If you also have the original CDs in FLAC and just want to compare the copy to those, then the easiest way is to rip one track from the copy to FLAC (or WAV), open both FLACs in some audio editor and compare the frequency spectrums (there is a tutorial somewhere here on this topic). If the copy was made from mp3, there will be noticable differences in the high frequencies. If the copy was made as a 1:1 image, they will be identical.

Reply #3
http://www.true-audio.com/

I have seen auCDtect and Tau Analyzer used to good effect.

Reply #5
If you also have the original CDs in FLAC and just want to compare the copy to those, then the easiest way is to rip one track from the copy to FLAC (or WAV), open both FLACs in some audio editor and compare the frequency spectrums (there is a tutorial somewhere here on this topic). If the copy was made from mp3, there will be noticable differences in the high frequencies. If the copy was made as a 1:1 image, they will be identical.

You don't need to compare the spectra. Just use a bit comparison. Apart from a possible small shift in the data, they should be identical, or not.

Reply #6
You might also want to check out Informer... But yeah, like Pdq says, just do a bit comparison if you have the original files.  Invert -> Copy -> Mix Paste