Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playlists synchronizing on remote location? (Read 892 times) previous topic - next topic

Playlists synchronizing on remote location?

Hi

My setup consists of  3 devices, a PC, a laptop and an android tablet. I like to be able to synchronize my playlists remotely across all devices rather than locally.

I'm wondering if anyone has had some success in using playlists on a remote server location (for example I wish to have my foobar playlists on my external usb drive attached to my wireless router)?

Also, would it be possible to have foobar playlists on cloud storage for foobar to access?

Thanks, R.

Re: Playlists synchronizing on remote location?

Reply #1
Re-opening this topic.... similar question as @afx777   Ignoring a mobile device, assume I have 3 Windows PCs:
* music library exists at the same exact path on all PCs
* I want to be able to create and edit playlists on PC1, so that PC2 + PC3 will inherit those changes.  Then I may edit playlists on PC2, and want PC1 and PC3 to inherit this edit.

How are Foobar users doing this in 2019?

thanks

Reply #2
Your question seems more about how to syncronize a bunch of files (basically just a folder) across multiple machines rather than something foobar specific.

Therefore you can identify what those folders/files are and sync them to cloud storage (Dropbox, Google Drive, whatever) or you can let the devices directly sync from each other with something like Syncthing.

Either sync the folder containing the playlists or possibly sync a portable install of foobar as whole. I'm not sure how foobar handles file locks, so I would be careful with leaving it open in more than one place at a time.

Always have backups.

Reply #3
Either sync the folder containing the playlists or possibly sync a portable install of foobar as whole.
FYI to folks, I tried the latter once with Microsoft OneDrive. It was a disaster. Instead of replacing updated files with newest versions (ie, "syncing") it decided it was smarter idea to rename everything, appending the computer name as duplicates or something. Add a third source and triple the files.

So, fair warning on that fantastic Windows feature. ::) >:(

(Daeron's advice is solid though)