Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for a music player with Artist Sort (Read 1847 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for a music player with Artist Sort

I'm trying to find a music player for my computer that has the following in it.

1.  Can sort artists using the Artist Sort tag, but display using the Artist tag
2.  Doesn't need to be installed
3.  Doesn't require a subscription
4.  Runs on Windows (and optionally supports WASAPI)
5.  Can display embedded lyrics.
6.  ReplayGain support.

I believe iTunes does this, but I need to install it, which won't work.

I have tried Foobar2000 and AIMP and neither seems to be able to sort by Artist Sort, while displaying Artist.  Looking at Clementine now.  Any other suggestions welcome.

Re: Looking for a music player with Artist Sort

Reply #1
I created a column called "Album Sort" in fb2k with the following string:

$if2(%albumsort%,[$swapprefix(%artist%)[ - %date%]])

Where "albumsort" is derived from the year and artist tags in the source flac and created during encoding (via batch file) to mp3 via the --tv tsoa argument.

If the artist is a name then I manually edit the tag to "lastname, first name".  Additionally I'll make manual edits to best suit my needs.

As you can see there's a fallback if albumsort doesn't exist.

Reply #2
I created a column called "Album Sort" in fb2k with the following string:

$if2(%albumsort%,[$swapprefix(%artist%)[ - %date%]])

Where "albumsort" is derived from the year and artist tags in the source flac and created during encoding (via batch file) to mp3 via the --tv tsoa argument.

If the artist is a name then I manually edit the tag to "lastname, first name" as well as make other alterations for beginning words like A and The.  I normally use iTunes for playback, which does the latter automatically.

As you can see there's a fallback if albumsort doesn't exist.

That's a good idea, I'm going to need to tinker.

Reply #4
You can move the Album Sort column all the way to right to get it out of view.

I just read your signature and laughed out loud.