Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Organising of audio files (perfect paths) question (Read 12010 times) previous topic - next topic

Organising of audio files (perfect paths) question

Reply #25
www.musicbrainz.org acts as a central repository of this kind of info giving the benefits of many hands make light work, an offsite backup for metadata, and a near magical system for identifying songs based on listening to the first 30 seconds.

It recently added support for storing the year, month, day and country of release.

If you're anal about your tags then its worth checking out.

Reply #26
I'm about to start saving albums within an archive, since I just found out that foobar is running well under linux.

I believe it's almost completely necessary to have artist, album, tracknumber and title all in the filname, because it's needed when sharing (only non-copyrighted music, of course). People just having tracknumber and title in their filename should recieve some kind of punishment. Relying on tags does not work in practice.

Relaxing the ISO-standards makes it possible to have longer filenames when burning on cd, if your not using rock-ridge that is! Try burnfree for a very good, small, free program supporting long filenames.

My current naming scheme is /alphabetic letter/Artist/Album (Year)/Artist (Album #tracknumber) - Title

When using archives I just name them Artist - Album (Year)
Keeping archives is making things a bit more tidy I think, the amounts of files is sure reduced anyway.

/Johan

Reply #27
I'm about to start saving albums within an archive, since I just found out that foobar is running well under linux.

I believe it's almost completely necessary to have artist, album, tracknumber and title all in the filname, because it's needed when sharing (only non-copyrighted music, of course). People just having tracknumber and title in their filename should recieve some kind of punishment. Relying on tags does not work in practice.

Relaxing the ISO-standards makes it possible to have longer filenames when burning on cd, if your not using rock-ridge that is! Try burnfree for a very good, small, free program supporting long filenames.

My current naming scheme is /alphabetic letter/Artist/Album (Year)/Artist (Album #tracknumber) - Title

When using archives I just name them Artist - Album (Year)
Keeping archives is making things a bit more tidy I think, the amounts of files is sure reduced anyway.

/Johan

OK, when you have all of that info in a file name, there STILL is a maximum amount of characters to go in a filename, ISO restrictions relaxed or not. I have the problem you are speaking of with Joliet filenames only when I try to burn to CD-R when using Nero 6. I have many CDs with long album & track names, as well as Various Artists CDs that will overflow the character limit even if I just put the album's ttle and CD ###s in the file name (big file).

Reply #28
BTW - are you saving to CD as a form of backup? or is this to acutally play the CDs?

If you are just archiving then you could use a compression program like winrar to condense down the long file names into 1 archive with a name that will fit.

PS - I told you about the long filename problem because I was down that path already.

Reply #29
(for a regular artist album) C:\Archive\Audio\Music\Albums\Artist Name, The\yyyy\Album Name, The\CD ###\(files)

(for a Various Artists album) C:\Archive\Audio\Music\Albums\Various Artists\Album Name, The\CD ###\(files)

Bahh ! - In my eyes this is a terrible compilcated sorting-scheme, as you have to click a thousand times until you come to what you want. Creating sub-sub-sub-sub-directories is never a good idea.
Always remember: "Easy things should stay easy." So my sorting-scheme
- for albums just is:
Artist-name - Albums Name\Artist Name - Songnumber - Songname
- for samplers:
Album Name\Songnumber - Artist Name - Songname

But, okay, it´s your harddisk (or CD) and you have to live (and work) with it....
My used codecs and settings:
FLAC V1.1.2 -4 / APE V3.99 Update 4 -high / MPC V1.15v --q 5 / LAME V3.97b2 -V2 --vbr-new / OGG aoTuV V4.51 Lancer -q5

Reply #30
here are my schemes

all in one folder (when the filename has to carry all the information... don't ask me when i use this but i do):

..\Biohazard [2003 Kill Or Be Killed] 01 - Intro.ape
..\Biohazard [2003 Kill Or Be Killed] 02 - World On Fire.ape
..\Biohazard [2003 Kill Or Be Killed] 03 - Never Forgive Never Forget.ape
..\...
..\Black Sabbath [1970-02 Black Sabbath] 01 - Black Sabbath.ape
..\Black Sabbath [1970-02 Black Sabbath] 02 - The Wizard.ape
..\Black Sabbath [1970-02 Black Sabbath] 03 - Behind the Wall of Sleep.ape
..\...
..\Black Sabbath [1970-09 Paranoid] 01 - Luke's Wall + War Pigs.ape
..\Black Sabbath [1970-09 Paranoid] 02 - Paranoid.ape
..\Black Sabbath [1970-09 Paranoid] 03 - Planet Caravan.ape
..\....

on my hd (yeh one folder for one cd, just like in my shelf):

..\Biohazard [2003 Kill Or Be Killed]\01 Intro.ape
..\Biohazard [2003 Kill Or Be Killed]\02 World On Fire.ape
..\Biohazard [2003 Kill Or Be Killed]\03 Never Forgive Never Forget.ape
..\Biohazard [2003 Kill Or Be Killed]\...
..\Black Sabbath [1970-02 Black Sabbath]\01 Black Sabbath.ape
..\Black Sabbath [1970-02 Black Sabbath]\02 The Wizard.ape
..\Black Sabbath [1970-02 Black Sabbath]\03 Behind the Wall of Sleep.ape
..\Black Sabbath [1970-02 Black Sabbath]\...
..\Black Sabbath [1970-09 Paranoid]\01 Luke's Wall + War Pigs.ape
..\Black Sabbath [1970-09 Paranoid]\02 Paranoid.ape
..\Black Sabbath [1970-09 Paranoid]\03 Planet Caravan.ape
..\Black Sabbath [1970-09 Paranoid]\...

on my mp3 portable (one more folder inbetween cos of its small display)

..\Biohazard\2003 Kill Or Be Killed\01 Intro.mp3
..\Biohazard\2003 Kill Or Be Killed\02 World On Fire.mp3
..\Biohazard\2003 Kill Or Be Killed\03 Never Forgive Never Forget.mp3
..\Biohazard\2003 Kill Or Be Killed\...
..\Black Sabbath\1970-02 Black Sabbath\01 Black Sabbath.mp3
..\Black Sabbath\1970-02 Black Sabbath\02 The Wizard.mp3
..\Black Sabbath\1970-02 Black Sabbath\03 Behind the Wall of Sleep.mp3
..\Black Sabbath\1970-02 Black Sabbath\...
..\Black Sabbath\1970-09 Paranoid\01 Luke's Wall + War Pigs.mp3
..\Black Sabbath\1970-09 Paranoid\02 Paranoid.mp3
..\Black Sabbath\1970-09 Paranoid\03 Planet Caravan.mp3
..\Black Sabbath\1970-09 Paranoid\...

generally: i'm gonna add the month behind the year only where it's necessary
for "EP", "MCD", "CD1", "CD2" i'll just append it to the album title

for v.a.'s i'm not gonna bother now

Reply #31
Beatles. It's Beatles, with an 'a', dammit janet.

I use \Music\Artist\YYYY 'Album' (encoder details)\## - Title.xxx