Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Open folder command, "Open file" dialog issues (Read 2321 times) previous topic - next topic

Open folder command, "Open file" dialog issues

Hello everyone!
Thanks Foobar team for great player! But I want to tell what keep me from forgetting completely about my previous favorite player Apollo.
1. Why there's no "Open folder" menu item? Need to clear playlist first, then Add. And no such item in Commands so I can't create my custom toolbutton.
2. "Open file" dialog. Default selection in "File type" dropdown is All files and it displays all that jpegs in the folder, when selected they are added to playlist and player tries to play them, with error dialog, of course. I think "All supported" as a default would be better.
3. "Open file" again, most annoying for me. When I browse directories with my file manager and hit some music file, it is opened by Foobar, that's OK. And when after that i invoke Open dialog, it opens directory that was previously opened from within player, not where last opened file resides. I understand that it is very arguable behavior, but it was very handy for me.
As for the rest, player is very good.
Thanks for patience reading my English :-)

Reply #1
Just a thought.
It sounds like you have not set up foobar for a library viewer/browser always available.

Using the Default Album List or Facets will allow you much more flexibility and you will not have a need to browse your library from outside of Foobar.

If you will also config with a TABBED playlist container you will have option quickly moving about as many playlist tabs as you like. There is no reason to think in terms of needing to clear a single playlist in order to add different music.

hope this helps

terry

Reply #2
Thanks for reply.
You're right, I don't use media library, didn't get into habit. It's because I don't have some central place where I keep all my collection. Something is on CDs and DVDs, major part on HDD, and something is downloaded, listened to and get deleted (or moved to HDD for a while). Typical scenario: copy something from USB stick, enter this dir, hit Enter on the first mp3 and keep doing anything else. A-ha, I like this song, let's listen to the rest... Player -> Open -> long browse to this dir -> select files trying to skip non-mp3s... Too long and make me nervous.
Creating new playlist tab is not faster then clear->add. Can I config Foobar to automatically create new playlist when I open files or dir? I didn't find the way. And it seems for me not like solution, but workaround.