Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Virtual CD issues... (Read 5514 times) previous topic - next topic

Virtual CD issues...

Let say I have copy my music CD into virtual CD, in theory the quality of music i extract from this virtual Cd would be the same as CD. Then, is there still any reason of using EAC to extract the music. Assuming when copying the Music CD there are no errors reported by the Virtual Cd program??

Any how does freedb. etc works?? Would i still find the Cd in the freedb even my Cd is a virtual CD??

Virtual CD issues...

Reply #1
I am almost certain that the vitual cd program uses a simular method as burst mode.
Therefore no.

I believe freedb works by comparing track lenght.

Virtual CD issues...

Reply #2
What exactly can VCD do? If you mean you rip your CD first with this prog then I think there is a difference. EAC was made for ripping only whereas Virtual CD then was made to use CDs on the harddisk. So EAC has some specialties which VCD doesn't have.  For example the control of the reading mode, probably better error correction, copes better with audio protections, maybe more which I can't recall right now.

On the assumption that the ripping process was without errors then you have the same quality.

But...hmm...I'm afraid I didn't understand your question. If you have a virtual cd then it has the size of an audio cd. So if you had some virtual cds your harddisk would be full in no time. And you'd have to rip the songs either way. How would you benefit of VCD?

Virtual CD issues...

Reply #3
Originally posted by theduke

On the assumption that the ripping process was without errors then you have the same quality.

But...hmm...I'm afraid I didn't understand your question. If you have a virtual cd then it has the size of an audio cd. So if you had some virtual cds your harddisk would be full in no time. And you'd have to rip the songs either way. How would you benefit of VCD?

Buy copying all Cds into virtual Cd into the computer first, ( 50 - 60 CDs) then ripping them as a Virtual Cd saves time then to Put in a Cd everytime the ripping of the CDs has finished.

So in conclusion copying a CD into virtual Cd and then encoding MPC from Virtual Cd would still los some quality comparing to encoding MPC with EAC directly from CD.

Is that right?

Virtual CD issues...

Reply #4
the only reason that EAC is better than other ripper is in the case that there's some damage to the cd. The problem with ordinary rippers is that they are not good at finding errors. They never check for them.
So if the cd is flawless you should be able to copy it any way you want but the main problem is that you will never know.
That's why everybody say to use EAC cause it is better at correction errors and it will certainly report the one that it couldn't correct.

Virtual CD issues...

Reply #5
If there are errors on the disk, then when i copy my virtual Cd, should the Virtual Cd report it?? Are are the error in EAC different to the error i am talking about??

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? very confused now..

Virtual CD issues...

Reply #6
yes there could be errors virtual cd doesn't report.
Audio cds doesn't contain so much error correction info.

Virtual CD issues...

Reply #7
Virtual CD rips the audio CD, then converts it in a format that can be seen as virtual CD.
Then if you rip from it, it will be a perfect rip of the virtual image, each time.

The problem is that the virtual image itself, created with Virtual CD may have errors from the beginning. It's no more secure to use VirtualCD than any other ripper to read the original CD, because the creation of the virtual CD IS a rip !

So stay with EAC, that is much more secure at reading CDs.

Virtual CD issues...

Reply #8
Just a suggestion if you prefer cd images, rip with EAC to cue sheet and switch Virtual CD to Daemon Tools.

Virtual CD issues...

Reply #9
DAEMON Tools are great. My laptop drive doesn't read most copy protected CDs correctly, so DAEMON Tools have been a very useful resource.

http://www.dtools.de

Virtual CD issues...

Reply #10
Originally posted by Case
Just a suggestion if you prefer cd images, rip with EAC to cue sheet and switch Virtual CD to Daemon Tools.

But does EAC do secure reading when making Cue sheet??
And to my understanding Cue sheet is like a CD image specially for music and can store all the Tags info as well?? Could it store things like CD image, The word in the songs, and others as well?? ( and encoded to APE tages  )

Does EAC support CDDB2??

Virtual CD issues...

Reply #11
Originally posted by iwod

Yes, if you have configured your drive to use secure mode.

And to my understanding Cue sheet is like a CD image specially for music and can store all the Tags info as well?? Could it store things like CD image, The word in the songs, and others as well?? ( and encoded to APE tages  )

CUE sheet is a text file telling how cd image is constructed. I think it can also contain data images, but EAC can't create them. I don't know all the information that can be stored, but artist and title should be possible.

Does EAC support CDDB2??

Nope. But when you mount the image you can use your favorite program to access CDDB2.

Virtual CD issues...

Reply #12

Secure mode is the way it reads the cd.
This has little to do with how it's stored.
To my knowledge only EAC and Cdex is capable of "secure mode" reading.

Cue sheets has nothing to do with the actual audio. The cue sheet holds information about how long the tracks are and as far as I remember can also hold any (text) other info you want.
the actual audio is stored in one large wav file and the cue sheet can be used to seperate the tracks.

And to my understanding Cue sheet is like a CD image specially for music and can store all the Tags info as well??

Cue sheets can be used can be used with any context.
It's just info about what the image file contains (in the case of audio the image file would be the large wav)

Does EAC support CDDB2??

I believe EAC uses freedb instead.

Virtual CD issues...

Reply #13
Thanks, most of my question are sorted, just the final one.

Is it possible to make EAC list mutiple CD Roms ( or virtual Cd for this matter ) and have have it ripped one by one??

Also, as i have already ripped the whole CD into one big cue sheet ( with wav in it ) in secure mode. When i have the cue sheet and mount into demon tools i shouldn't really need to use EAC to ripped the virtual CD in secure mode again. Is that correct??

Virtual CD issues...

Reply #14
Originally posted by iwod
Is it possible to make EAC list mutiple CD Roms ( or virtual Cd for this matter ) and have have it ripped one by one??

I don't think so. But you can start multiple EACs and set them to rip all at the same time.

Also, as i have already ripped the whole CD into one big cue sheet ( with wav in it ) in secure mode. When i have the cue sheet and mount into demon tools i shouldn't really need to use EAC to ripped the virtual CD in secure mode again. Is that correct??

No. Use burst mode.