Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Questions about burning data cd\'s (Read 10698 times) previous topic - next topic

Questions about burning data cd\'s

Reply #25
Pio2001- I couldn't agree more. My answer was another example of me getting confused (gee- how often does that happen!) by Nero's unnecessarily complicated GUI- as you stated. Nor does it help, that the help files are 'roughly' translated into English from German. Still, I have had pretty good luck using it- so I try to adjust to my confusion (whatever percentage of the time that occurs!) Just to be sure- ISO I get- By checking Joliet, it automatically sets the right choices? -or am I still confused? Use Drive Image/ don't do a lot of data cd's with Nero.

Read last night (sorry if already mentioned by someone else) review of new cd-rw drives. Stated Plextor 40X was only one that stopped ripping at 24X- I think only when ripping a cd- to ensure no errors occur. I think it was in a PC World newsletter- anyway- sorry to ramble as usual- thanks for clearing up my mistake- cadabra3

Reply #26

I have a Sony CRX - 140e.  To have compatability with the cd players of my family and friends I must use 2X with a phenylcyanine formulation, or 1X with any blue dye formulation. If not, some will not read at all, others will skip tracks, still others will sound "crunchy" I took a handful of burnt discs to the local hi-fi dealer and tried them in dozens of units. The 2X phenyl discs work well in everything. Anything else was very hit and miss.

It will read anything and is otherwise a good burner.

I have tried many, many types of discs and various speeds and this has simply become the rule for me.

My brothers samsung burner will burn at any speed with phenylcyanine dies and work perfectly anywhere.

Reply #27
Warning, I'm not certain of the settings marked with a ???

In Nero, burning a data CD, you must choose ISO9660, it's the CD ROM for PC. Other ones are for Mac (hybrid) or Unix (UDF) ???

Iso level
Choose level 1. It should have no effect on Windows 95 and later (you've got 64 characters as long as you check Joliet anyway).
Choosing Iso level 2 should make the CD unreadable with Windows 3 or DOS.
I don't know the effect on DOS emulation, Mac, Unix or Linux, it may turn the CD incompatible.

Mode
Don't know the difference. Both work. Mode 2 is required for CDI or CDvideo, but since we're burning just ISO, it doesn't matter... Choose mode 2, it's more recent (unless you're still using the 4x CD ROM drive that came with your Intel 486).
It doesn't affect the OS, but only the drive.

Character set
Choose ISO9660 ???

Joliet
Check it, or you'll end up with 8 capital characters filenames  !!!
Don't know if it will affect Mac, Linux, Unix, or others ???
No effect on DOS and Windows 3, that'll stay in 8+3 characters.

Relax ISO restrictions
Check none ???
Same remarks as for ISO level 2 about other OS.

Label
Uncheck "also use the ISO9660 text for Joliet" !
Then you'll be able to set a volume name with lower case letters and spaces in the Joliet label .
Compatible with Win95 and up. Don't know about Mac, Linux, Unix, or others ???
No effect on DOS/Windows 3, that will display the ISO9660 text only.

Reply #28
Originally posted by Pio2001 Mode
Don't know the difference. Both work. Mode 2 is required for CDI or CDvideo, but since we're burning just ISO, it doesn't matter... Choose mode 2, it's more recent (unless you're still using the 4x CD ROM drive that came with your Intel 486). 
It doesn't affect the OS, but only the drive.

I beg your pardon, "choose mode 2"??

In Nero, that is CD-ROM XA mode, 276 bytes of ECC data is completely missing in each sector! That means, it has no ECC (Error correction using CIRC), only EDC (Error detection). Absolutely unusable for data CDs! Stick with Level 1, mode 1.

Reply #29
Any opinions wheter Romeo can be safely used or not?

I have some really lenghty Floyd file names, like
"Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pic"
(That's 90 chars), and don't like the idea of truncating it.

Reply #30
Originally posted by Pio2001
In Nero, burning a data CD, you must choose ISO9660, it's the CD ROM for PC. Other ones are for Mac (hybrid) or Unix (UDF) ???

UDF doesn't have anything to do with Unix, it's just a newer filesystem for optical media. It's used on DVDs and it's also possible to use it for CDs. Unix systems will read and write ISO9660 CDs just fine (reading Joliet extensions may or may not be supported - they're supported at least under Linux and the BSDs these days).

Reply #31
Originally posted by CiTay
I beg your pardon, "choose mode 2"??

In Nero, that is CD-ROM XA mode, 276 bytes of ECC data is completely missing in each sector! That means, it has no ECC (Error correction using CIRC), only EDC (Error detection). Absolutely unusable for data CDs! Stick with Level 1, mode 1.

This is true for mode 2 form 2, but Nero, easyCD etc, burn in mode 2 form 1, with the same error correction as in mode 1. No problem with this. http://www.ping.be/satcp/realsize01.htm
Some very serious books, like "La Gravure des CD, 2e edition", Eric Charton, MacMillan ed. confuse mode 1 / mode 2 with mode 2 form 1 / mode 2 form 2 (opposite statements several pages away from each other in the same book).

I only heard of one program that was able to burn CD ROM without error correction, in mode 2 form 2. I think it was NTI CD maker, but I'm not sure.

I'll have to document myself more about multisession, I wonder if there are restrictions about which mode to choose in order to burn multisession CDs. That's why I advised mode 2 instead of 1 (BTW, Easy CD burns in mode 2 by default).

Originally posted by rjamorim
Any opinions wheter Romeo can be safely used or not?

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq03.html#S3-5-5 :

Adaptec's Easy-CD Pro software allowed creation of discs in "Romeo" format. Filenames may be up to 128 characters long, which is very useful for certain types of files. Sadly, this format never really caught on. NTI's CD-Maker software (section (6-1-12)) supports Romeo. 

One person reported having trouble reading Romeo-format discs in Win2K, others have had no problems.

So it seems supported in Windows 2000 at least. I had read that Windows had to be patched in order to read romeo CD ROMs, but maybe it was for Windows 95.

Reply #32
Pio2001 and everyone else- thanks for the quick education on Nero/data cd's.  - cadabra3