Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MAREO settings to organize FLAC & MP3 files using EAC (Read 34394 times) previous topic - next topic

MAREO settings to organize FLAC & MP3 files using EAC

Reply #25
Yes, presumably only if the VA checkbox is checked as well.

NB: with regard to the space either side, EAC (wrongly?) seems to deal with either a space or no space.  If a space is present it is trimmed.  I suppose it's not so wrong as it has the checkbox double check - so it is expecting a VA format.

so, should i be strict, and support " / " as the delimiter?

Reply #26
My current mareo.ini settings are shown below. How can I get MAREO to detect CDs by various artists and adjust the directory structure for the files accordingly? At present, if I rip a CD that is a compilation of music by various artists, it creates a separate directory for each artist on the CD. For "various artists" CDs, I would like to create the directory structure - [MYMUSIC]\VA\[ALBUM] and use the same filename as it does currently, i.e., [TRACKPADDED]. [TITLE]. This is akin to iTunes which uses the directory "Compilations" instead of "VA."

The trick is not to use the "VA" or "Various Arstist" name on the CD artist, if you do, EAC assumes a VA CD, even if the check box is unchecked. Use instead "V.A.". And make sure the checkbox is unchecked also.

here is a test

Log 2 File    (%1) = True
Log 2 Screen  (%2) = True
INIFILE      (%3) = C:\Encoders\mareo.ini
[SOURCE]      (%4) = C:\EAC\vtmp1!542.wav
[DESTTMP]    (%5) = C:\EAC\vtmp1!542.eac
[ARTIST]      (%6) = v.a.
[ALBUM]      (%7) = CD_Title
[TITLE]      (%8) = artista1 / tema1
[TRACK]      (%9) = 1
[TRACKPADDED]      = 01
[YEAR]      (%10) = Anime
[GENRE]      (%11) = Unknown

Reply #27
The trick is not to use the "VA" or "Various Arstist" name on the CD artist, if you do, EAC assumes a VA CD, even if the check box is unchecked. Use instead "V.A.". And make sure the checkbox is unchecked also.

Kwanbis,
What are your EAC settings on the EAC Menu->EAC Options->Filename tab? Also, please confirm that your EAC command line options for MAREO are as follows.

mareo.ini %s %d "%a" "%g" "%t" "%n" %y "%m"

Once I get these settings from you, I will try to replicate your test at my end. Thanks
The REACT thread is the best place for this, you're currently posting in two threads.  You also need to confirm that the track titles are properly formatted for a VA album, and that the VA checkbox is checked.

Synthetic Soul,
I have posted the REACT details on the REACT discussion thread. I will limit my input on this thread to MAREO only.
So am I but with 2 of HA's best involved (Synthetic Soul, kwanbis) I bet this gets resolved! 

Phaedra,
I think we are making progress. We have the best people involved. Thanks for supporting my requirement.

Reply #28
What are your EAC settings on the EAC Menu->EAC Options->Filename tab?

actually, it shouldn't matter, cause i let MAREO do the renaming

Also, please confirm that your EAC command line options for MAREO are as follows.

mareo.ini %s %d "%a" "%g" "%t" "%n" %y "%m"

the command line is ok, i didn't have to do any modification to MAREO/Setup. Only trick EAC into thinking is anormal album.

Reply #29
Yes, presumably only if the VA checkbox is checked as well.

NB: with regard to the space either side, EAC (wrongly?) seems to deal with either a space or no space.  If a space is present it is trimmed.  I suppose it's not so wrong as it has the checkbox double check - so it is expecting a VA format.

so, should i be strict, and support " / " as the delimiter?
Well, no.  EAC will parse the track names and split them into their component parts before you get to them.

It seems to me that your only option would be to do as REACT is doing, or similar.  You need to use the original filename (%o) to make your decision.  In order for that to happen you need to insist that users set their EAC naming scheme to begin with %D (CD Artist).  You need to analyse the original filename (%o), and if the first seven characters of %o are "Various" then you do the VA stuff.

I have created a test config for REACT, that will output all available information to a log file but encode nothing.  I would suggest that you do the same for MAREO, so no encoding takes place, but all params for each track are output to a text file, so that you can see exactly what information is being received, and what you have to play with.

Edit: In actual fact, looking at the REACT source, it will actually raise a warning if the naming scheme (or VA naming scheme if one exists) does not begin with %D or contains a "\".

Code: [Select]
If StringLeft($c, 2) <> "%D" Or StringInStr($c, "\") > 0 Then
  MsgBox(0+48+8192, $g_appTitle, "EAC active naming scheme must start with '%D' and not contain '\'" & @crlf & _
    "Please, press Ctrl-F2 to configure EAC for use with REACT")
EndIf

$c is the relevant naming scheme, taken from the registry value.

I'm not suggesting that MAREO needs to do this, but it raises the issue, if your users want VA recognition then they need to adhere to some guidlines.

Also, I've just taken a look at the MAREO website and I see that you don't actually pass %o at the moment.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #30
Well, no.  EAC will parse the track names and split them into their component parts before you get to them.

Yeah, i realized by doing some testing.

It seems to me that your only option would be to do as REACT is doing, or similar.  You need to use the original filename (%o) to make your decision.  In order for that to happen you need to insist that users set their EAC naming scheme to begin with %D (CD Artist).  You need to analyse the original filename (%o), and if the first seven characters of %o are "Various" then you do the VA stuff.

Actually, it is easier, at least for the current req. The only need is to trick EAC into thinking is a normal album, by using "V.A.", instead of the various recognized "various" strings. I posted instructions some post above.

Reply #31
Actually, it is easier, at least for the current req. The only need is to trick EAC into thinking is a normal album, by using "V.A.", instead of the various recognized "various" strings. I posted instructions some post above.
True.  Given that they have no interest in the track artist (  ) then that would work.

I can't help but think that they should be interested in it!  They may be when it comes to tagging...
I'm on a horse.

Reply #32
yes, i would probably would implement something on MAREO to handle this, if there is interest.

Reply #33

Kwanbis,
This works fine for the directory structure. For the various-artists album "Pure Moods IV," on EAC I unchecked "various artists" and set the CD artist to "V.A." This saved the FLAC files in "V.A.\Pure Moods IV". So far so good. But there is a downside to this approach. I do care about the artist tag being set correctly on the resulting FLAC/MP3 files. Currently, the artist tag for all the music on this album gets set to V.A. I had the same results for the album "Artist's Choice - Sheryl Crow."
True.  Given that they have no interest in the track artist (  ) then that would work.

I can't help but think that they should be interested in it!  They may be when it comes to tagging...

Thanks for pointing this out. I don't care about having the track artist on the filename for the track. But I do care about having the correct track artist on the ID3 tag. Therefore, the approach suggested by Synthetic soul is really a must. I would appreciate it if you could give this request a high priority.

Thanks,
atulc

Reply #34
i would take a look ASAP.

Reply #35
So is this a dead issue now? Atulc, have you decided to go with REACT instead?

Reply #36
I solved all this with 2 EAC-presets leading to different ini-files for MAREO. And because there is no field in EAC to specify a CD Artist for VA Albums i chose to write this name as last parameter for MAREO manually and also as manually edit the folder naming scheme in EAC.

As i don't have that many VA Albums that was not much of a problem. Most times i just have to leave it on "sampler" or "OST".

It's so easy to just switch between different EAC presets...

Reply #37
And because there is no field in EAC to specify a CD Artist for VA Albums i chose to write this name as last parameter for MAREO manually...

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean here ...

Reply #38
So is this a dead issue now? Atulc, have you decided to go with REACT instead?

Not quite. Kwanbis has offered to address this issue. If you are following the REACT discussion forum, you will notice that I am experiencing an intermittent issue with various-artist albums using REACT. I have a large collection of various-artist CDs and I can't afford to manually clean up after every mistake made by a ripping program. At this point, REACT doesn't appear to be a viable solution either.

Kwanbis, can you provide a sense of how long it might take you to address this probelm on MAREO? Thanks

Reply #39
If you are following the REACT discussion forum, you will notice that I am experiencing an intermittent issue with various-artist albums using REACT.

Yes, I am following, as I think lots of others are too. I'm in a similar situation with lots of CDs to rip. I've been dabbling with both MAREO and REACT (as mentioned earlier) and have found strangely intermittent issues with REACT so have been using MAREO for regular albums and just waiting for a better VA solution. Thank you atulc for pushing the issue and thank you Synthetic Soul, kwanbis, tycho, and others for putting your brains and experience together to iron this one out. 

- p

Reply #40

And because there is no field in EAC to specify a CD Artist for VA Albums i chose to write this name as last parameter for MAREO manually...

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean here ...

I mean that i add the CD Artist to the parameter line that is passed from EAC to MAREO.

Additional command line options for most CDs (profile: mareo):
mareo.ini %s %d "%a" "%g" "%t" "%n" %y "%m" "%x"

And for VA CDs (profile: sampler):
sampler.ini %s %d "%a" "%g" "%t" "%n" %y "%m" "%x" "OST"

The same with the naming scheme:
Usualy:
%A\[%Y] %C\%A - %N - %T

Sampler:
OST\[%Y] %C\%A - %N - %T

So everytime i want to rip a non-OST VA Album i have to edit both fields in the EAC Options.

The difference between mareo.ini and sampler.ini is that a second individual parameter (%x is passed in both as individual parameter) is included and is added as a tag field and also replaces the "Artist" in the folder naming scheme.

Reply #41
Gotcha, thanks for the explanation!

Reply #42
Yes, I am following, as I think lots of others are too. I'm in a similar situation with lots of CDs to rip. I've been dabbling with both MAREO and REACT (as mentioned earlier) and have found strangely intermittent issues with REACT so have been using MAREO for regular albums and just waiting for a better VA solution. Thank you atulc for pushing the issue and thank you Synthetic Soul, kwanbis, tycho, and others for putting your brains and experience together to iron this one out. 

- p

Phaedra, the VA problem is now resolved for EAC+REACT. See my recent post on the REACT discussion thread - http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=441921. For now, I will use REACT to rip my CD collection. When kwanbis is ready with a fix for MAREO, I will consider using MAREO again.

Reply #43
I would like to direct kwanbis to the same thread, particularly posts 455 to 472, in which atulc and I investigate REACT and EAC's handling of VA albums, and malformed VA freedb entries.  I hope that the results and conclusions we have made should be useful to you also.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #44
i'm actually on vacations on mendoza, argentina. I would try to take a look this weekend.

Reply #45
Resurrecting this old thread.  From perusing various MAREO threads, it's unclear whether this "Various Artists" issue was ever resolved. I have a good number of VA disks to rip (to FLAC and MP3) and I don't want to switch away from MAREO if I can avoid it. Thanks!

Reply #46
sorry, been a little busy lately. Would try to implement it ASAP.

Reply #47
Resurrecting this old thread.  From perusing various MAREO threads, it's unclear whether this "Various Artists" issue was ever resolved. I have a good number of VA disks to rip (to FLAC and MP3) and I don't want to switch away from MAREO if I can avoid it. Thanks!

I like the capabilities of both MAREO and REACT. However, I wasn't able to overcome the "Various Artists" issue with MAREO. The REACT developer community addressed the issue within days. With over 200 music CD's ripped successfully, about 50 of which were "Various Artists" CD's, I am now a happy REACT user. See http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=442265

Kwanbis, I hope you will find time to address this issue soon.

Reply #48
sorry, been a little busy lately. Would try to implement it ASAP.

Thanks Kwanbis ... I'm waiting for a solution to this issue too.  Really appreciate all you work ... Mareo is a "must have" program for me. 

Reply #49
... Mareo is a "must have" program for me. 

I used to feel that way too. I got tired of waiting though and switched to REACT. With all due respect to Kwanbis for developing MAREO, I think REACT is now the way to go. The latest version developed just recently is simple and effective right out of the box. And if you need advice on tweaking things a bit to suit your needs, there is a very active user community there to help.