Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to stop Multimedia Key launching WMP? (Read 5483 times) previous topic - next topic

How to stop Multimedia Key launching WMP?

First noticed this on foobar, but now know it's true with iTunes as well.

When I have the above application open, playing a tune, and I push the "Play/Pause" button on my Microsoft multimedia keyboard, Windows Media Player opens.  I'd prefer for this not to happen, simply for the song to pause.

Any advice on how I can stop Media Player from launching?

Thanks.

Reply #1
First noticed this on foobar, but now know it's true with iTunes as well.

When I have the above application open, playing a tune, and I push the "Play/Pause" button on my Microsoft multimedia keyboard, Windows Media Player opens.  I'd prefer for this not to happen, simply for the song to pause.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is a little more comprehensive than the question you asked, but it will fix your problem:

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22006&view=findpost&p=214684]The Saint Steps to Multimedia Keyboard Heaven[/url]
------- Rick -------
--------------------

Reply #2
Rick-

Thanks for the link.  I've been there before and previously used that information to successfully get my keyboard working with foobar.  Unfortunately, this new problem is different.  Here are the details:

I recently upgraded to Intellitype 5.2 from 5.0 on XP Home and am now experiencing these problems:

1. When I have either foobar2000 0.8.3 or iTunes 4.6 playing a tune and I push the "Play/Pause" button on my Microsoft Wireless Multimedia keyboard, the song pauses AND Windows Media Player opens. I'd prefer for this not to happen, simply for the song to pause.  The "Play/Pause" button is the only MM key that also causes WMP to launch; "Previous", "Next" and "Stop" all work as expected.

2. When I have MusicMatch 9.0 playing a tune and I push the "Play/Pause" button on my keyboard, MusicMatch pops up an error and says it has to close, but then just freezes up.  Only a CTRL-ALT-DEL can get rid of it.

Winamp 5.04 seems to be the only music player I have left that works as expected with the multimedia keys.

I am certain I did not have these problems with ITP 5.0, but now they persist even if I uninstall 5.2 and revert to 5.0.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Reply #3
1. When I have either foobar2000 0.8.3 or iTunes 4.6 playing a tune and I push the "Play/Pause" button on my Microsoft Wireless Multimedia keyboard, the song pauses AND Windows Media Player opens.
Did you do this part: "open the keyboard applet in the control panel and on the third tab Key Settings, select each key you reassigned, click Edit and choose Disable the use of this key. "
------- Rick -------
--------------------

Reply #4
1. When I have either foobar2000 0.8.3 or iTunes 4.6 playing a tune and I push the "Play/Pause" button on my Microsoft Wireless Multimedia keyboard, the song pauses AND Windows Media Player opens.
Did you do this part: "open the keyboard applet in the control panel and on the third tab Key Settings, select each key you reassigned, click Edit and choose Disable the use of this key. "[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235866"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wouldn't that make those keys useless in anthing other than foobar?

Reply #5
Wouldn't that make those keys useless in anthing other than foobar?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236049"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In this particular case, I believe that was the young ladies request. 

In the general case, here's the entire quote:

After you start type32 your keys may no longer work -- type32 may pop up and claim that the command is not available, or nothing may happen. If so, open the keyboard applet in the control panel and on the third tab Key Settings, select each key you reassigned, click Edit and choose Disable the use of this key.
------- Rick -------
--------------------

Reply #6
What I did was to uninstall IntelliType altogether. You don't even lose any essential functionality, as WinXP has in-built support for the extra keys. Just get the TweakUI PowerTool from Microsoft, that will let you set the functions.

Now all my media keys have normal functions if foobar isn't running. The Media key starts foobar, and then of course the keys switch to their foobar bindings (and the Media key hides/unhides foobar).

Hope this helps.