Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC ~500kbps could be Converted to Ogg Q10? (Read 5839 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC ~500kbps could be Converted to Ogg Q10?

FLAC ~500kbps could be Converted to Ogg Q10 without loosing quality? Just for storage reasons. Or will I loose too much quality?
The one I tryed reduced the size of 25.427.868b to 18.264.476b and the kbps of 500 to ~350.

Reply #1
Converting from lossless (FLAC) to lossy (Ogg Vorbis, I assume) will result in quality loss.  However, at that bitrate it is exceptionally unlikely that your ears will ever tell the difference.

Does that help?

Reply #2
Yes helped
It was just some kind of insecurity on my side. Thanks.

When I reencode it to flac it goes to 594kbps and the size is 30.211.975. The initial kbps (in FLAC) was 500 in this convertion. But this doesn't matter, I will decide later ... after some tests with some others files.
Thanks again. That's all.

Reply #3
Let me know if you'd like any help in designing your tests.

Reply #4
Do you have any idea?

Reply #6
I forgot this, I already used lossyWAV some time ago. let's see.
I just discover that ogg vorbis accept bitrates of 500kbps, so I think about use it.

Reply #7
Only problem, AFAIK with OGG is if you want to transcode later, you're better off going from Lossy.FLAC > MP3/OGG than from OGG High Bitrate > MP3/OGG Lower bitrate.

C.

EDIT:
Slightly OT, but I'd be interested in the results of a "Transparent Lossy" > "Lower Bitrate Lossy" transcode listening test:
  • OGG Vorbis Max > Lame MP3 x? bitrate
  • Lame MP3 320 > OGG Vorbis x? bitrate
  • LossyWAV portable > Lame MP3 x? bitrate
  • LossyWAV portable > OGG Vorbis x? bitrate
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #8
If you don't need lossless just use 200kbps MP3 right now and be done with it.

Reply #9
When I reencode it to flac it goes to 594kbps and the size is 30.211.975. The initial kbps (in FLAC) was 500 in this convertion. But this doesn't matter, I will decide later ... after some tests with some others files.

Servimo, why would you even want to do that! Why would you re-encode the ogg back to flac?  I might be misunderstanding you but are you sure that you understand about transcoding between various lossy formats and the reasons why it's not advised?

Also, what was the source of the original flac file? Are you sure it was a lossless format because 500kbps is pretty low for flac.