Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: -q0 -h and --lowpass setting (Read 3705 times) previous topic - next topic

-q0 -h and --lowpass setting

if I use Lame

add -q0 or -h parameter can provide better quality ?

Should I use -q0 or -h setting?

--lowpass or -Y can provide better quality in same bits ?

(ex: "-b320 vs -b320 --lowpass 18"  or  "-V1.3 vs -V1 --lowpass 18"  or  "-V2.5 vs -V2 -Y" )

-q0 -h and --lowpass setting

Reply #1
If you use a VBR setting (like -V0, -V2 etc..), the use of -q0 or -h won't make any difference. (It changes nothing)

The change in quality from using --lowpass or -Y is directly related to the signal (i.e. if it matters), and to how the codec can distribute the bits that would have been used by the data filtered (--lowpass) , made less precise (-Y).

In other words, if you use to encode classical music, neither --lowpass nor -Y might help much. If you encode heavy metal or similar, --lowpass or -Y might make quite a difference in bitrate.
If then you shift the quality to compensate for the bitrate, evidently it will have higher quality.