Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: old FLAC to new FLAC 1.1.4 (Read 19703 times) previous topic - next topic

old FLAC to new FLAC 1.1.4

I've been good , cleaned out all the shit I know I never will use
Can't even remember how much, must be +100GB

Now I am left with 2 empty drives.
1 160GB external and 1 320GB internal.

My FLAC collection I already have on system drive ( have it on D: not on C: partition )
Want to move it to a less active drive.

My collection is about 150GB FLAC files
How can I easily convert all old FLAC to the new FLAC to another drive with identical folders and subfolders?

I wish FLAC frontend had this function, auto create folders and subfolders.
If you drag 1 folder to FLAC frontend, 1 identical folder with same subfolders is created in the output directory.
This would ease the process considerable
please 

Is there any reason to wait for new FLAC version?
Was mostly thinking if FLAC 1.1.4 has any serious bug reports......

Was thinking it would be great to have all FLAC on the 160GB drive that I never have turned on anyway.
Easy to turn on if I need it ....
I use FLAC on PC, convert to mp3 for my DAP (iAudio U2)

My FLAC collection is set up like this:

Lossless
-----------Artist 1
----------------------Album 1
----------------------Album 2
----------------------Album 3
-----------Artist 2
-----------Artist 3
-----------Artist 4
-----------Artist 5
-----------Artist 6
----------------------Album 3

Lossless is the main folder
Artist is a subfolder to Lossless
Album is a subfolder to Artist

Reply #1
maybe I am not grasping something but why don't you move the files from one drive to the other? I don't get your question...

Reply #2
I want to convert from old FLAC to latest FLAC 1.1.4.

Reply #3
You could use a progrm like foobar2000 which will do exactly what you are asking or you could use Synthetic Soul's batch file found in this thread http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....=50993&st=0 and then just copy your music to your other drives once it is complete.

Reply #4
foobar 0.9.4.2 isn't updated with FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #5
if you have the space, do what beto said. copy the root dir to the new drive and encode the files there with --force (flac --verify --force File.flac). when the conversion is done and you have verified that there are no errors, delete the oiginal files

Reply #6
Is there are a way I can copy only the folders and not the files?

I can do this manually, probably gona delete some stuff to.

Reply #7
The re-encode batch file is very helpful. The tools is discussed here.

Reply #8
Gosh darn - ya beat me to it...

It is VERY effective. The space saving is very much worth it.

Reply #9
This is too much, the batch file.
It ain't default settings, i want default.

like this:

and yes, wihtout tags
Don't use it, never will.......

Is there a way to re-create the directory without the files?
I'm gonna do it manually, gonna delete what I don't need anyway........

Reply #10
foobar 0.9.4.2 isn't updated with FLAC 1.1.4

Couldn't you just set up a custom encoder in foobar and point it to wherever you have the FLAC 1.1.4 binary on your hard drive?  For transcoding and customizing output to specific directories based on tags, foobar is without a doubt the best solution.

Reply #11
note, based on tags
have no tags

And I'm not about to tag 5000 FLAC files

my request on the first post:
I wish FLAC frontend had this function, auto create folders and subfolders.
If you drag 1 folder to FLAC frontend, 1 identical folder with same subfolders is created in the output directory.
This would ease the process considerable

by that I meant something similar to what Monkeys Audio has
like this:

Reply #12
you can reencode in place with a simple script that finds all flac files and then reencodes them one at a time.  in bash it's just

Code: [Select]
find /top/level/directory -name '*.flac' -exec flac -5Vf {} \;

I am hesitant to add functionality like this that is so easily accomplished with scripts.

Josh

Reply #13
I am hesitant to add functionality like this that is so easily accomplished with scripts.

Sorry josh, but there is no script easier than a gui. If it is implemented in the binary then a gui will certainly follow.
And not everyone is on *nix, in fact almost no one is. 

Reply #14
Josh, I wish I knew how

Reply #15
Sorry josh, but there is no script easier than a gui. If it is implemented in the binary then a gui will certainly follow.
And not everyone is on *nix, in fact almost no one is

but the command-line is significantly easier once you learn how... I haven't played around with Bash myself in a long time 
budding I.T professional

Reply #16
I disagree that a gui is easier.  it may be easier if you don't know any scripting language.  but no doubt you run into situations like this ones quite often, not just with flac.  I've seen hundreds of threads and posts on HA asking for things that are so easy to do with scripts.  your small investment learning bash will pay off countless times.  you can install cygwin and get a bash shell with little hassle.

to me, GUIs are like a caveman language where you have to grunt (click) and wave your hands (mouse) at the computer until it does what you want.  (imagine the mouse pointer as your hand, then say "ugh" every time you click to mean "ME WANT THAT".)  if whoever wrote the gui didn't add a feature that you can specifically communicate with an exact grunt and wave sequence, you're out of luck and have to ask the developer to add that.

shell scripting is like spoken language, a much more natural and powerful way to communicate what you want to do.  instead of every developer having to reimplement functionality for crawling a tree and doing something, one guy just writes the 'find' command and it's usable in conjunctions with other commands.

windows has tried to dumb everything down to make it seem like a caveman can communicate but I think a basic part of computer literacy is knowing a scripted language.

Josh

Reply #17
1 question to you Josh

Is what I requested difficult to add to FLAC frontend?

If you think about, it's useful feature

Reply #19
oh, I didn't write the frontend, you'll have to ask speek.

Reply #20
1 question to you Josh

Is what I requested difficult to add to FLAC frontend?

If you think about, it's useful feature

You need to take some time and search this forum.  There is plenty of information you need and plenty of ways to do what you want.  If you do not think that Synthetic Soul's batch file is easy and can't figure out how to set up foobar2000 (which will do EXACTLY what you want it to) then I question your computer skills.  Maybe you need to talk to a friend who can help you out instead of trying it yourself.  My five-year-old son could use SS's batch file!

Reply #21
to me, GUIs are like a caveman language where you have to grunt (click) and wave your hands (mouse) at the computer until it does what you want.  (imagine the mouse pointer as your hand, then say "ugh" every time you click to mean "ME WANT THAT".)  if whoever wrote the gui didn't add a feature that you can specifically communicate with an exact grunt and wave sequence, you're out of luck and have to ask the developer to add that.

*LOL* That is one great analogy, Josh

Reply #22
I disagree that a gui is easier.  it may be easier if you don't know any scripting language.  but no doubt you run into situations like this ones quite often, not just with flac.  I've seen hundreds of threads and posts on HA asking for things that are so easy to do with scripts.  your small investment learning bash will pay off countless times.  you can install cygwin and get a bash shell with little hassle.

shell scripting is like spoken language, a much more natural and powerful way to communicate what you want to do.  instead of every developer having to reimplement functionality for crawling a tree and doing something, one guy just writes the 'find' command and it's usable in conjunctions with other commands.

windows has tried to dumb everything down to make it seem like a caveman can communicate but I think a basic part of computer literacy is knowing a scripted language.

Josh

No offense, but this logic/attitude is appalling coming from someone of such stature.  You do realize that not everyone is a programmer or as skilled at scripts as you?  I've been hanging out around here since the beginning of time so it seems and I still don't understand 90% of the stuff I read.  That's why I rarely post.  But I had to express my disappointment on this one.  How come all of a sudden I'm relating to the "cavemen" in the Geico commercials?

Reply #23
please don't be offended.  the "caveman" thing came to me many times in my own personal use of GUIs where I felt like a caveman myself trying to grunt and wave through something that a simple one line script could have done.

also note that you and any other english speaker has no trouble communicating to me in english, which is a far, far more complex language than either bash or perl.  so I am not looking down on anyone.  I think with cygwin and an oreilly book even a casual computer user could pick up bash in an afternoon and be instantly more productive.

Josh

edit: I mean this book: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/bash3/index.html

Reply #24
You need to take some time and search this forum.  There is plenty of information you need and plenty of ways to do what you want.  If you do not think that Synthetic Soul's batch file is easy and can't figure out how to set up foobar2000 (which will do EXACTLY what you want it to) then I question your computer skills.  Maybe you need to talk to a friend who can help you out instead of trying it yourself.  My five-year-old son could use SS's batch file!

Search, ok, I will do so!
But for what exactly?, it would help to know.

My five-year-old son could use SS's batch file!

Smart kid you got

What a "nice" way to say dumbass 
"Thanks"!

I can run it, and do the task but I have a few questions about it.

1. It's set up for 1.1.3, I do not know if something has changed in 1.1.4 that can affect the output files.
2. Except the highest compression ratio is anything else changed ?

Computer skills is a very wide area.
We all lack of knowledge in some areas.

About foobar, how am I supposed to know how when I never use it.
It's not like any other software I use!

As you all can see I'm new here
Take it easy

--------------------------------------------

It's often a lot easier to understand when someone tells you the first step.

Sometimes you can't see even if it's in front of you 
You all know what I mean, for example when driving you can see a sign and your mind is somewhere else

Not all of us walk the same stairs in the learning process!