Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: scanning flac tagging and changing? (Read 4099 times) previous topic - next topic

scanning flac tagging and changing?

A few years back now I ripped my CD collection using EAC.  I think that I was able to input Artist and Genre etc.

I use Foobar2000 to play and recently started using it to convert to mp3.

How can I scan my flac's which were ripped as individual song files with EAC, which created a CUE and m3u?

Can I change any tagging info that might have been attached?

Reply #1
How can I scan my flac's which were ripped as individual song files with EAC, which created a CUE and m3u?
Scan for what?

Obviously.

Reply #2
Scan for what?

Obviously.

Scan for any tagging info that might have been attached, and change it, if so?

Does EAC put tags of any kind on individual Flac files?

Reply #3
Scan for any tagging info that might have been attached, and change it, if so?
Sure. FLAC is freely taggable using various programs such as foobar2000, MP3tag, etc.

Does EAC put tags of any kind on individual Flac files?
If you told it to!

Reply #4
Ok, so how best scan a flac and edit?

Reply #5
FLAC is freely taggable using various programs such as foobar2000, MP3tag, etc.

Install MP3tag, load all the files you want to check, scan them, edit/add/remove tags if you wish.

If it turns out the the files themselves are not tagged and that the metadata exists only in the cue-sheet, then edit that.

I’m not going out of my way to be overly simplistic here, but simplistic questions lead to equivalent answers. If what you want to do is more complex than this, then you need to actually explain it, rather than posting vaguely about a desire to scan and edit without specifying what/why you want to scan or to edit.

Reply #6
Worth mentioning also the command line program metaflac, which is distributed in the official FLAC executables bundle, can view/edit every possible aspect of FLAC tagging and even read/write from external text files, very useful for batch (re)tagging with a little help from shell scripting.
... I live by long distance.

Reply #7
That's why I love FLAC: you can do pretty much everything with just the bundled tools and some scripting. No other lossless codec is as complete as FLAC.

Reply #8
OK I installed MP3tag and just scanned my collection of FLAC and MP3 that I've made.  However I have a couple FLAC that seem to have a different TAG.  Most all of my collection just says "FLAC (FLAC)" in the Tag colum, but a couple say "FLAC (FLAC ID3v2)" .  What is the difference between a plain "FLAC (FLAC)" tag and a "FLAC (FLAC ID3v2)" tag?

Reply #9
In a nutshell, the latter also contains ID3v2 tags in addition to FLAC tags.

The first part is the tag type of the tags being displayed and the second part in parentheses shows the tag types present in the file.

FLAC (FLAC) = Displaying contents of FLAC tags and the file contains only FLAC tags.

FLAC (FLAC ID3v2) = Displaying contents of FLAC tags and the file contains FLAC and ID3v2 tags.