Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Focal: Alto Utopia Speakers Driving Problem (Read 6595 times) previous topic - next topic

Focal: Alto Utopia Speakers Driving Problem

Hi,

I have Focal: Alto Utopia speakers. I drive them by using McIntosh MA6900 amp. But this amp does not go well. The problem is I can not hear enough bass. Mids stands front of the bass (too much mid-range). I want to buy a new amp I have some choices. If you guys give an advice or suggestion I would be very happy.

Which amp is more successful to drive Focal: Alto Utopia speakers.

My amp choices are: 1-Audionet amp-1 2-McIntosh MC2000 3-Mark Levinson No:383 4-Musical Fidelity AMS50

Thank You for your helps.

Reply #1
Hi,

I have Focal: Alto Utopia speakers. I drive them by using McIntosh MA6900 amp. But this amp does not go well. The problem is I can not hear enough bass. Mids stands front of the bass (too much mid-range). I want to buy a new amp I have some choices. If you guys give an advice or suggestion I would be very happy.

Which amp is more successful to drive Focal: Alto Utopia speakers.

My amp choices are: 1-Audionet amp-1 2-McIntosh MC2000 3-Mark Levinson No:383 4-Musical Fidelity AMS50

Swapping amps to get better bass is generally futile.

Adding a subwoofer

Rearranging the room or adding acoustic treatments or more furniture, thick rugs or wall hangings.

adding an equalizer

...can generally get you better bass.

Reply #2
But I do not have any problems with acoustic or smth. The problem is The Speaker driving. I need a best AMP to drive my speaker. I have equalizer and ect... Cause some amp are not compatible with some speakers...

Reply #3
Yeah...  Any half-way decent amplifier is going to have ruler-flat frequency response (with the tone controls set to "flat"). 

As a general rule, all good amplifiers sound alike* (except for power differences).    On the other hand, all speakers sound different.   

That amp has tone/EQ controls, right?  Turn up the bass!  If that doesn't cut it, think about upgrading your speakers, not your amp.

Those speakers "look" like they should have reasonable bass.  Did you listen before you bought them?  (Of course, acoustics will affect sound and hopefully there was no EQ used in the showroom.)  An 11 or 12-inch woofer in a well-designed speaker should put-out reasonable bass at reasonable listening levels.    But, you are probably not going to "shake the dance floor" in a club.

Oh...  This might be obvious, but make sure your speakers are wired in-phase  (+ to +, or red to red, etc.).  If you're not sure, reverse the connections on one speaker to see if the bass gets better or worse. 

* Of course, some audiophiles "hear" magical differences that can't be explained scientifically or in engineering terms of noise, frequency response, or distortion...      And, these differences strangely disappear in blind tests.   

Reply #4
@nickodavidoff:
Do you understand why it is that some speakers are incompatible with some amps?

It might go a long way toward explaining why it's foolish to expect an amplifier to change the timbre of your system in some specific way. An amplifier's job should be to drive your speakers without adding color. If it does add color then I hope you like it.

@DVDdoug:
While I also suspect placebophilia may be playing a role based on the choices presented, Arny got it right about speaker choice and room treatment.  In the event that the meaning of rearranging the room is taken as not to include speaker placement then I would call that out specifically.  Finally, turning up the bass on a receiver is a pretty crude way of handling acoustic problems.

Reply #5
@DVDdoug:
Further, simply turning up the bass on a receiver is a pretty crude way of handling acoustic problems.
True... And, I used to feel guilty about using EQ!    But, if the problem is weak bass (or exaggerated mids) it's silly not to try some EQ, especially if the speakers are capable of good bass.  There are probably very few speaker/room combinations that don't benefit from some EQ.

Reply #6
What I meant to say is that a receiver's bass control is generally a pretty crude adjustment compared to something like a graphic or parametric equalizer.

Reply #7
But I do not have any problems with acoustic or smth. The problem is The Speaker driving. I need a best AMP to drive my speaker. I have equalizer and ect...

If your room acoustics are so great, why problems with the bass?

Cause some amp are not compatible with some speakers...

Please give some specifics.

I am of the opinion and experience that any good amp is compatible with any good speaker.  Please share why you would disagree with that.

Reply #8
Please give some specifics.

I could but would prefer to see the OP try.  Besides, it wouldn't help explain the lack of bass.