Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC encoding at different (random) bit rates for same CD even though set to 320? (Read 3531 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC encoding at different (random) bit rates for same CD even though set to 320?

Hi,
Im ripping CD's using Exact Audio Copy (EAC) and am using Lame and want to keep an MP3 and a wav file.

Iv set the MP3 to be at 320 but when I rip a CD some tracks are at 320 yet others vary, eg 224 or 256?

Also the wav file doesnt retain the track info (metadata), eg Artist, track, Album etc. Is there a way I can do this.

I have a huge amount to rip so hope to get it right first time.

Any advice or help greatly appreciated  :)

Re: EAC encoding at different (random) bit rates for same CD even though set to 320?

Reply #1
As for the MP3 files being of different bitrate, I just can assume that you are generating VBR files, and the program you use to see the bitrate (windows explorer possibly) does not show you the average bitrate.
To verify if this is the case, you can use another program, like Winamp or foobar2000, to name a few, which do report if the file is variable bitrate.
Of course, you could also indicate the exact parameters to which you configured EAC to use.

As for Wav files, that's a bit more complicated. WAV files in theory can be tagged, and there are programs that tag them. The problem is that this is not well standarized and so it is not a recommended practice, except if you are well aware of it.
Instead, I recommend you to use any lossless codec, like FLAC, Wavpack, TAK... These can be properly tagged and offer several other advantages. And of course, you can decode them to WAV again if the need arises.

Another comment for your setup. I recall that there was a script or something that helped to generate multiple files from a single rip of EAC. (I.e. running it once, instead of one for WAV and another time for MP3). It should be somewhere in these forums, but I don't remember what was it called. Maybe "REACT".

Re: EAC encoding at different (random) bit rates for same CD even though set to 320?

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply - your right :).

Yes its VBR - would CBR be better?

How can I change the settings

Im not fussed about file size but have some tough decisions to make as I have a large vinyl and CD collection and have decided to use Traktor DJ software. (I love by decks - still have a CDJ but that is rarely used).

I was thinking wav for 100% quality but tagging is a nightmare and MP3 at 320 which is minimal difference. MP3 are handy as universally recognised (apple devices and tagging).

EAC will rip to WAV & MP3 at same time so no problem there. Not sure if I could do FLAC & MP3 at same time?

If I change to FLAC would I have to install a FLAC encoder and if so where could I grab one from.

Thanks for the info - big help (shame Iv ripped a shed load already this week - hope I dont have to re-rip).

Reply #3
As a first place to check, the hydrogenaudio wiki has several articles about EAC
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Category:EAC_Guides
One of them explains how to configure it for FLAC:
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC

As for MP3 VBR or CBR, i wouldn't worry too much, not even in case of using DJ software. VBR allows to reduce the bitrate usage versus CBR. (btw, it seems FLAC is supported on traktor https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/knowledge-base/show/600/which-audio-file-formats-does-traktor-support/ )
Here it explains how to use a standalone copy of LAME encoder, in case you want full control on the parameters used.
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_Lame