Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Dolby TrueHD (Read 12694 times) previous topic - next topic

Dolby TrueHD

Dolby® TrueHD is Dolby’s next-generation lossless technology developed for high-definition disc-based media. Dolby TrueHD delivers tantalizing sound that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master, unlocking the true high-definition entertainment experience on next-generation discs. When coupled with high-definition video, Dolby TrueHD offers an unprecedented home theater experience that lets you enjoy sound as stunning as the high-definition picture.

Features

* 100 percent lossless coding technology.
* Up to 18 Mbps bit rate.
* Supports up to eight full-range channels of 24-bit/96 kHz audio.
* Supported by High-Definition Media Interface (HDMI™), the new single-cable digital connection for audio        and video.
* Supports extensive metadata including dialogue normalization and dynamic range control.

Wow...

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #1
... channels of 24-bit/96 kHz audio...

We don't need that tantalizing sound, 16-bit/44 kHz is more than enough. Thanks to the limitations of the human hearing...wow...

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #2
We don't need that tantalizing sound, 16-bit/44 kHz is more than enough. Thanks to the limitations of the human hearing...wow...

That's wrong. comparing 88Khz to 44.1Khz, you will notice that it sounds "clearer". Recently I met a young man who is a owner of one of the 7 "Flächenstrahler" which are in the world. These are the best speakers available on earth. He aggreed that you can't get a lost quality back, but if you upsample the 44.1Khz CD to 88 KHz, you get a feeling that it is more real.
FB2K,APE&LAME

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #3
Oh Hydrogen Audio Terms Of Service, let me count the ways that I love thee...

And while I'm at it, I'll count the number of times you flouted them in your post memomai!

I'd take issue with...

"comparing 88Khz to 44.1Khz, you will notice that it sounds "clearer"."

"These are the best speakers available on earth."

"if you upsample the 44.1Khz CD to 88 KHz, you get a feeling that it is more real."

I don't think this is the right sub-forum, never mind the right thread, to discuss this. Anyway, it has been discussed to death already (see FAQ).

On topic: it is interesting that Dolby are pushing another lossless format for next generation discs. I wonder if we'll ever see a replacement for CD? While this may not be it, it probably puts the nail in the coffin of DVD-A and SACD as CD replacements (if anyone ever imagined that was possible).

Cheers,
David.

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #4

That's wrong. comparing 88Khz to 44.1Khz, you will notice that it sounds "clearer". Recently I met a young man who is a owner of one of the 7 "Flächenstrahler" which are in the world. These are the best speakers available on earth. He aggreed that you can't get a lost quality back, but if you upsample the 44.1Khz CD to 88 KHz, you get a feeling that it is more real.

Proven by ABX testing?
Error 404; signature server not available.

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #5
I wonder if we'll ever see a replacement for CD? While this may not be it, it probably puts the nail in the coffin of DVD-A and SACD as CD replacements (if anyone ever imagined that was possible).

Maybe some day in the far, far future  IMHO all those formats can be quite good for the archival purposes of record companies, but as a consumer formats, they are an overkill for the vast majority of music listeners, so they have to be doomed.
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #6
But this has been around since HD-DVD and Blu-Ray were announced? I'm guessing most people here already know about it?

I'm confused.

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #7
Features

* Up to 18 Mbps bit rate.
* Supports up to eight full-range channels of 24-bit/96 kHz audio.
8 audio channels sampled at 96 kHz and 24 bits of resolution = 18.432 Mbit/s, as opposed to CDDA's 1.411 Mbit/s (2 channels x 44.1 kHz x 16 bits).

Strange to boast an 18 Mbit/s bitrate as a "feature" in the context of lossless audio compression.  I'd think compressing files was about getting them as small as possible.

But as this codec is intended for devices with relatively low hardware resources, such as Blu-ray or whatever disc players, I guess high compression is not what Dolby was after.

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #8
But this has been around since HD-DVD and Blu-Ray were announced? I'm guessing most people here already know about it?

I'm confused.
Did the poster say this was a new announcement?  You are correct.  Dolby TrueHD is not "new."  You'll see a good number of high-def movie titles with TrueHD right now.

Regarding HD DVD (or Blu-Ray) replacing the market for multi-channel and high-resolution music... yes, most likely.  (Well, assuming these formats do well in the long run!)  DVD Audio and SACD are dead, RIP.

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #9
TrueHD is the best multi channel lossless codec.
TrueHD kills WavPack, FLAC, MP4 ALS & other lossless codecs.

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #10
ROTFLMAO
Don't mean to flame, Jimpin, but you should really read a bit into the subject before making such naïve claims.

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #11
TrueHD is an advanced lossless multi-channel audio codec, intended primarily for high-end home-entertainment equipment, such as Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD. In this application, Dolby TrueHD competes with DTS-HD Master Audio, another lossless codec from Digital Theater System.

Dolby TrueHD uses Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP) as its mathematical basis for compressing audio samples. MLP was used on the earlier DVD-Audio format, but details of TrueHD and DVD-Audio differ substantially. A Dolby TrueHD bitstream can carry up to 14 discrete sound channels. Sample-depths up to 24 bits/sample and audio sample-rates up to 192 kHz are supported. Like the more common legacy codec Dolby Digital, TrueHD bitstreams carry program metadata. Metadata is separate from the coding format and compressed audio samples, but stores relevant information about the audio waveform. For example, dialog normalization and Dynamic range compression are controlled by metadata embedded in the TrueHD bitstream.

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #12
Why are you so enthusiastically in love with Dolby TrueHD?

You wouldn't happen to work for Dolby, would you?

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #14
The fact is Dolby TrueHD is the one the best lossless codec.

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #16
So what?

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #17
Why are you so eager to proclaim it as the best lossless codec?
Wanna buy a monkey?

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #19

Unfortunately i know of only one compressor comparison which also tested MLP. With CD Audio it performed worse than even FLAC's weakest compression setting!

Lossless multi channel audio compression may be a bit different, but it's based upon the same methods as used for the compression of 2-channel audio. It only adds some further methods. They would have to be extraordinary good to compensate the weakness of MLP's implementation of the basic methods.

Caution: I know, one test isn't sufficient to draw a final concusion! If you can provide test results which support your statement, i would be happy to see them.

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #20
The fact is Dolby TrueHD is the one the best lossless codec.
"Facts", here at Hydrogenaudio, are backed by some raw figure data.  TrueHD being proprietary (edit: and not free of charge), I doubt you can come up with anything else but the marketing speak you copy-pasted.

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #21
That's wrong. comparing 88Khz to 44.1Khz, you will notice that it sounds "clearer". [...] but if you upsample the 44.1Khz CD to 88 KHz, you get a feeling that it is more real.

I hope you realize how ridiculous this is. You're actually comparing these two processing chains:
  • PCM 44 kHz --[resampling]--> PCM 88 kHz --[D/A conversion]--> analogue
  • PCM 44 kHz --[D/A conversion]--> analogue
For your information: D/A conversion usually involves digital upsampling already. So it's practically the same thing!

Cheers!
SG

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #23
oh, never mind  [post deleted].. Jimpin's a troll.

Dolby TrueHD

Reply #24
You're liar robert, i didn't register in winamp forum.

Shut your mouth krabapple, i'm not a troll.