Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sony's new microSD card "for premium sound" (Read 11850 times) previous topic - next topic

Sony's new microSD card "for premium sound"

Reply #25
Apparently HA has become full of know it alls who don't even read specs before jumping to conclusions.  Nice job guys.

... says the guy who starts his criticising of other members with "I'm sure" without actually quoting any one statement to back up his "certainty".
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #26
I'm sure it's just better shielded to prevent EMI noise in DAC.

Is that what this is all about? (Sorry, my Japanese stinks)

I certainly wouldn't want those purple squiggly things emitting from my Z1 !!

So are the squiggles > 100 KHz or > 1 MHz?  Sony's graph seems to be unclear.

Of course it doesn't matter because humans are equally deaf to 100 KHz and 1 MHz.

Reply #27

(Translated by a friend)

Reply #29
When this translation is correct it makes sense. "...which are thought to change sound quality"
There are people writing on the net that different USB sticks are "...thought to change sound quality"
Now if Sony found anything they can measure and change with production they have a winner.
It doesn't really matter what this measured difference does. There will be some weird theories and audiophiles are convinced.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #30
When this translation is correct it makes sense. "...which are thought to change sound quality"
There are people writing on the net that different USB sticks are "...thought to change sound quality"
Now if Sony found anything they can measure and change with production they have a winner.
It doesn't really matter what this measured difference does. There will be some weird theories and audiophiles are convinced.

Anticipating some possible weirdness:

A little calculation shows that 192 KHz sampling times 3 bytes per channel times 2 channels is > 1 megabyte per second which is the speed of some older USB flash sticks (Class 1) .

384 KHz sampling and serious multichannel can get you beyond the capabilities of Class 10 Flash drives.

Reply #31
1 megabyte per second which is the speed of some older USB flash sticks (Class 1) .

"Class 1" in reference to speed is specifically a SD thing.  Not a "USB flash sticks" thing.

And there is no class 1.  Class 2 is the lowest Speed Class Rating,.

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed/
Creature of habit.

Reply #32
SD will run at a fixed clock determined by the host.  Usually 20-50MHz for low power devices.  It then bursts some fixed amount of data via DMA to the host's memory and then powers off to save power.  So when you get interference with badly laid out circuits, what you actually hear is the envelop of the burst being downmixed from ~25MHz.  This often ends up in the KHz range because of how the software works.

I spent a while working on this on the e200 way back when.  I found that by changing the transfer sizes and rates I could move the envelop around the audible spectrum.  But since the noise actually comes from, and is controlled by, the host I'm not really sure what an SD card is going to do about it.

Reply #33
1 megabyte per second which is the speed of some older USB flash sticks (Class 1) .

"Class 1" in reference to speed is specifically a SD thing.  Not a "USB flash sticks" thing.

A number of brands of USB flash drives use Class xx as part of their designation:

Amazon  lists USB flash drive class

That's true today. However there is an observable 1:1 relationship between class and nominal speed  ( for example Class 2 = 2 mB/sec) and once upon a time flash drives were slower than is common now.

Reply #34
I've been leery of Sony storage media ever since a lightly-used Sony SDHC card exhibited mechanical failure (externally there seems to be nothing wrong) when I inserted it into my card reader.  It needs a fairly strong finger pressure to keep a connection when inserted in the socket now, even though it works OK in the camera.  And it fails in all of my card readers, where the Transcend and Sandisk cards work just fine.  Maybe I just got a fall-out, but I'm not excited about buying more.

Reply #35
That's true today. However there is an observable 1:1 relationship between class and nominal speed  ( for example Class 2 = 2 mB/sec) and once upon a time flash drives were slower than is common now.

There never was a Class 1.  End of story.
Creature of habit.

Reply #36
It's clear now that this is the new direction Sony is taking. Because they learned screwing over customers with nonsense worked so well for them in the 2000's.

?
To me, this is just an example of a Japanese corporation seeking out profitable new niches, and one niche which seems particularly well-loved is for super-ultra-rare/premium goods. But almost every conceivable subculture or fetish seems seems to have it's followers, and maybe a web site or glossy magazine catering to it.

Reply #37
Yeah, cause audio snakeoil is mainly a Japanese phenomenon.

Reply #39
Thanks. But wot's the scale?

Its relatively new, so I'm sure the "explanations" will be forthcoming.
In the meanwhile, a certain ex-Sony employee will have yet another highly dubious product to vociferously defend for "performance" reasons.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #40

A number of brands of USB flash drives use Class xx as part of their designation:

Amazon  lists USB flash drive class

The speed classes of SD cards only refer to the minimum sustained sequential read/write rates and says nothing about the random read/write rates which is far and away the more significant bottleneck in the real world by a wide margin, that's why we have funny situations where some Class 4 cards can outperform UHC-1 ones. Monstrous random read/write rates is also the real reason why SSDs crushes HDDs.