Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sony's new microSD card "for premium sound" (Read 11849 times) previous topic - next topic

Sony's new microSD card "for premium sound"

So apparently sony unveiled a new microSD card which is design "for premium sound".
As usual, it also comes with a "premium" price.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/sony-unveils-64gb...-premium-sound/

Some people will buy anything if marketed right, right? 

Reply #1
So apparently sony unveiled a new microSD card which is design "for premium sound".

http://blog.gsmarena.com/sony-unveils-64gb...-premium-sound/

Some people will buy anything if marketed right, right? 

I guess we already knew that.

The speed of uSD cards can be a convenience issue. Class 10 uSD cards are IME considerably slower to update and index per gigabyte than the internal memory on my Clip and Fuse.

The performance of these products seems to be in the same range as SSDs, which are probably increasingly driving the design and production of flash chips.

Reply #2
It's clear now that this is the new direction Sony is taking. Because they learned screwing over customers with nonsense worked so well for them in the 2000's.

Reply #3
It's clear now that this is the new direction Sony is taking. Because they learned screwing over customers with nonsense worked so well for them in the 2000's.

OT here, I buy work stuff at BestBuy and they give me $ points to buy stuff, few times I bought Sony headphones I almost puked and gave them away. I don't know how the V6 or whatever high end versions are by my god the "normal" ones are awful. I'll stick to my favorite brand: Audio-Technica.

Reply #4

You can spot it from a distance that this must be a premium item - it has golden letters.
I wonder why there is no window at the SD-Card slot of Sony's premium HiRes Walkman, to see the SD-Card working - instead they decided for the pooman solution and just spend a golden headphone jack.

Sony, you have a to learn a lot from the High-End manufactures.

.halverhahn
.halverhahn

Reply #5
It's not completely a surprise to see something like this from a company that promotes their hi-res benefit as follows:

[cite]

Reply #6
Estimated price for an "audiophile" 64GB mSDXC?

About $160. This is only a factor of 5 more than commodity versions, and only triple the price of 90MB/sec Write, 80MB/sec read cards.

I eagerly await the "revelatory" experiences that users of display-free portable .wav-only players will report with this  undoubtedly superb product.

Here's hoping there's a Neil Young/Pono signature edition!

Reply #7
Hmmm, I could get one for my Xperia Z1 and improve my street cred. I wonder if there is any "burn in" required?
Has me thinking. Anyone want in on a Kickstarter campaign for a $1000 "Card Cooker"?

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #8
Hmmm, I could get one for my Xperia Z1 and improve my street cred. I wonder if there is any "burn in" required?
Has me thinking. Anyone want in on a Kickstarter campaign for a $1000 "Card Cooker"?

cheers,

AJ

If anyone knows software with specially designed writing patterns for "burn in" this memory card, do let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Reply #9
Make sure the "burn in" is done in the correct direction.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Reply #10

cheers,

AJ

If anyone knows software with specially designed writing patterns for "burn in" this memory card, do let me know.

Thanks in advance!

I do believe you mean "wear out" instead of "burn in".

And I fully support the idea!

Reply #11
It's not completely a surprise to see something like this from a company that promotes their hi-res benefit as follows:

[cite]

I believe this is the kind of nonsense that obtained government censure for Sony in the UK.

Reply #12
Cut Sony some slack. We all know that when you listen to music with regular micro SD cards, the sound quality slowly degrades over time with additional pops and crackles.

You'll probably need a Sony device with a Premium Sound decoder to get the full effect. Hopefully next PS3/4 update.

Also adds HDR to your album covers.

Reply #13
I'm sure it's just better shielded to prevent EMI noise in DAC.  Apparently HA has become full of know it alls who don't even read specs before jumping to conclusions.  Nice job guys.

Reply #14
I've yet to notice any noise being added to the music by using a µSD card. If a 40€ sansa clip+ or my cheapo mobile can handle the EMI from the cheapo Transcend µSDs, why would I dish out multiple times more money for a supposedly better shielded µSD? Unless that 1k+$ player of theirs is badly shielded and actually needs that?

Considering their marketing so far (see the BS hi-res graphs above), it's simply more likely that it's another snake oil product. That's all.

Reply #15
I'm sure it's just better shielded to prevent EMI noise in DAC.

Yeah, because that is the job of the SD card.... the DAC itself should take care of that.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #16
I'm sure it's just better shielded to prevent EMI noise in DAC.  Apparently HA has become full of know it alls who don't even read specs before jumping to conclusions.  Nice job guys.

How sure are you of that?

Or are you just hating on haters while pretending to be the reasonable one?

Regardless, unless you can demonstrate that the SD card itself is a prominent noise source in the system...
Creature of habit.

Reply #17
Now it is time to repeat all the pono listening with the new SD card. No wonder it couldn't sound better as an iphone with SD cards that can't handle HD sound.
Apropos spec, what does that picture at this japanese page for the SD show?
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #18

Shielding a SD card to keep EMI out is like damming up a flowing river to keep the water out!

SD cards operate well while bathed in a plethora of high frequency square waves. In fact it is those waves that make it work.  If anything SD cards are a source of EMI, not a victim of it.

As shown by this simplified block diagram:

there are several layers of circuitry in a digital player between the SD card and player's headphone jack that among other things suppress EMI and they generally work very well.

Furthermore, problems with self-EMI have been reduced by the higher frequencies that digital circuits now operate at. They shoot right over the heads of analog circuits and human ears.

Apparently HA has become full of know it alls who don't even read specs before jumping to conclusions.  Nice job guys.

If irony killed!

Many of the regulars on HA are well-informed enough to discern sales hype and separate it from real Science.

Reply #19
I'm thinking the "premium" does refer to the read/write speeds.

Any claims from Sony WRT to sound quality will ruin their credibility basically.

Reply #20
Any claims from Sony WRT to sound quality will ruin their credibility basically.

Too late for that...
http://discover.store.sony.com/High-Resolution-Audio/

Reply #21

Too late for that...
http://discover.store.sony.com/High-Resolution-Audio/

And as it's been already pointed out on this other thread, they don't seem to care even if the British Advertising Standards Authority is not amused by their snake oil peddlers' empty claims in their blatant flirting with the audiophool market:
http://asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/20...ADJ_244516.aspx
Claims hi-rez sounds like something you've never heard before. 

Ruled:
The ad breached CAP Code (Edition 12) rules 3.1 (Misleading advertising), 3.7 (Substantiation) and 3.11 (Exaggeration).
Action
The ad must not appear again in its current form. We told Sony Europe Ltd to ensure that any use of the graphs in their advertising did not exaggerate the capabilities and benefits of high-resolution audio.

Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #22

Given that clock and datalines are driven by the host its not actually possible to do this. The sheild would physically have to extend through the devices circuit board.

Reply #24
Specs? The important question is... Does it come in a wooden box with real leather trim? And real velvet lining? And is the inscription in real gold leaf?

(sorry. Among the important questions are...)
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain