Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: No ReplayGain for ATRAC3 or WMA, but... (Read 3049 times) previous topic - next topic

No ReplayGain for ATRAC3 or WMA, but...

First to outline my situation: I use LAME preset standard for all my CD rips, which I'm very happy with. However, I recently bought a Sony D-NE300 MP3/ATRAC3plus CD player. While I wouldn't normally consider using anything other than MP3s, only ATRAC3plus files will play gapless on the player. So what I intend to do is burn CDs containing mostly MP3s, but I want to use ATRAC3plus for albums that should play without gaps (eg Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon).

I use mp3gain (album gain) on all my MP3s, but there is no equivalent for ATRAC3plus files, so my ATRAC3plus albums will be louder than the others. So I came up with a solution:

1) Rip the CD to wav (using EAC)
2) Use Wavgain on the ripped wav files
3) Burn wav files back to CD
4) Rip burned CD to ATRAC3plus using Sony SonicStage (  yuk)

This way my ATRAC3plus files should play at the same volume as my MP3gained MP3 files. Now a question: is there any way I could speed up or automate the above process? I would prefer not to have to burn the wavs back to CD, does anyone know if I could a virtual drive instead (like deamon tools)?

Anyone else tried this?

Ed

Reply #1
You could "burn" those wavegained files to an image, which is much faster and then mount that image with Daemon Tools or similar.

Nero for example allows you to select an image recorder instead of the normal one.
Always defragment your MP3s to avoid subtle lack in harmonics.

Reply #2
rip a cue and wave, wavegain on the wave file. you won't even need to split it. (and then mount and rip the cue, of course)

Reply #3
Thanks for the suggestions, I tried it just now but couldn't get SonicStage to burn my ATRAC3plus files because of "copyright reasons"!

Honestly, SonicStage is an absolute joke - I was reading through the FAQs on the Sony website and it's so limited, it's hard to see what you can do with the program. I've wasted enough time with it now, besides I read that it can't burn mixed MP3 and ATRAC3 CDs anyway!! 

...and relax... 

The best solution for me is to burn the entire album as a single MP3.

Thanks again for your help,

Ed