Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPC is going to be open source? (Read 9434 times) previous topic - next topic

MPC is going to be open source?

Reply #1
It is sv8 that has been open for some time.
Yes mpc should now be an open project.

Reply #2
According to Frank, he sent me a 2.3 MB file with all encoder sources, even SV7, to be uploaded to CVS. But for some strange reason the email never arrived, only parts of the bz.tar packets, and some of them multiple times.

I will ask Frank to send them again and finally upload SV7 encoder ....

Reply #3
gday...

great..

so what can we expect now..
in my opinion mpc is the greatest lossy format ever.
but what spesificly would the future bring..
open wide compression standard..hardware support..
aviabilety to get mpc in A/V.

Reply #4
GREAT!
For some time I have stopped encoding in MPC, I felt a bit unsure in the future of the format. Now I'm OK. I'm just wodering is it possible for the future SV8 decoder to support SV7 files as well (without converting), in the same way the MP3 decoders support MP2 (or maybe I'm wrong?)
Cheers!

Reply #5
GREAT!
For some time I have stopped encoding in MPC, I felt a bit unsure in the future of the format. Now I'm OK. I'm just wodering is it possible for the future SV8 decoder to support SV7 files as well (without converting), in the same way the MP3 decoders support MP2 (or maybe I'm wrong?)
Cheers!

It was said in the past that if a new sv8 encoder would ever created, there would be a tool to convert sv7 files to sv8 losslessly.

Reply #6
This is one chance for me to be thankful that mpc has a small and progressive user community, so that it has little chance of being held back by legacy support.

Reply #7
Yup, CVS tree is located at the link below.  I hope devs at least take a peak and how wonderful the format is.

Direct link to CVS

Reply #8
It was said in the past that if a new sv8 encoder would ever created, there would be a tool to convert sv7 files to sv8 losslessly.

And it was also declared, most triumphantly, that our new savior, Ogg Vorbis, would change codecs forever by 'peeling back' files to smaller sizes!

Not that I'm saying it won't happen, but I'd be too cautious to automatically *expect* a lossless sv7->sv8 tool even from someone's past assertions.    I'll be glad if & when it happens.

Reply #9
assuming that sv7.5 or sv8 does go the distance... there will be this "savior" to process the data stream blocks into a more... erm... maintainable format (seeking, etc)

later

Reply #10
is anyone working on adding support to mplayer/videolan to natively play back MPC?

Reply #11
I heard that the ffmpeg guys intend to write their own MPC decoder implementation.
This would ensure MPC support in VideoLan and mplayer.
Christian should know more about this.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #12
I heard that the ffmpeg guys intend to write their own MPC decoder implementation.
This would ensure MPC support in VideoLan and mplayer.
Christian should know more about this.

Where did this news come from?

They'd need to be aware of any sv8 updates.

Reply #13
I think it is a good news.

Open source can attract more programer to develop the mpc format, and make the mpc encoder and deconder perfect. So that, to instead of mp3. HOHO!~!~

I hope that one day, there are 3 kind of music format in the world, wav, mpc and flac!~

Reply #14
I think it is a good news.

Open source can attract more programer to develop the mpc format, and make the mpc encoder and deconder perfect. So that, to instead of mp3. HOHO!~!~

I hope that one day, there are 3 kind of music format in the world, wav, mpc and flac!~

who needs wav?

Reply #15
who needs wav?

Everyone?

Reply #16
so, how're efforts to get portable support? it's the holy grail...

Reply #17
The problem is that MPC requires FPU computing which is usually not available on portable CPUs (only through libraries). And it would also require support from a manufacturer, the same way Vorbis got some support from iRiver. But of course that would be great ! Especially as newer portable machines emerge (hopefully with a FPU).

edit : it also requires some marketing efforts and user requests...

Reply #18
The problem is that MPC requires FPU computing which is usually not available on portable CPUs (only through libraries).

I believe there is already an integer decoding library available (at least for ARM v4)