Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: archiving and cutting vorbis audio stream (Read 3722 times) previous topic - next topic

archiving and cutting vorbis audio stream

Hello all
I am trying to record a vorbis stream served from icecast2 server and then cut it into pieces.
I've tryed 3 implementations of stream-saving but none of them works good for me.
At first I played vorbis stream using winamp. In its nullsoft vorbis decoder there is an option to save stream into the specified folder. The saved stream is playable but using vcut (from vorbis tools) I cant split it. It just says that process is stopped (first cut point too short). When trying to cut about at 441000 frames.
When recording with foobar or streamripper vcut crashes causing an illegal operation.
I have also tryed processing the very same stream "dump" with mp3splt but the result is almost the same. There is difference in behaviour when cutting stream saved by nullsoft decoder. It do cut file but the results are only half a second in time But the cut points are still not applied. Those half a second long files are taken from lets say about a first 10 second of the original file.
When looking at original files using ogginfo tool the one created by nullsoft has no significant anomalies except of serial number equals to zero. When examining two others the eos is missing or sometime some pages are missing too.
Is somewhere in the world a way which will work for me to record a vorbis streamed contend directly without need to decoding? under the condition that this recorded file can be splitted with no quality loss or further decoding/encoding?
If you succeed let me know which stream works for you please.
Thanks for any attempts

Reply #1
if you want to cut the stream at each song, then streamripper is probably the way to go
^^ that would have been the answer had you not mentioned streamripper in your post 

im not too sure where you want to split up the stream exactly 

* I assume it's your icecast2 server and your stream
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99
lame3.93.1-q5-V9-k-nspsytune

Reply #2
hm. I've mentioned about stream ripper it is good but not in my case. The stream which I am trying to cut does not have a title streaming. Title is still the same.
Other chances?

Reply #3
hi folks
sorry for double posting but I've got it. The main problem here is caused by the software used to save currently playing vorbis stream. In my case it was winamp with its vorbis decoder, foobar with modified http reader and stream ripper.
Since vorbis stream is packed in a ogg container saving raw data is not enough for ogg splitters to work properly.
You can use VLC media player to this purpose as I've just discovered.
So if you would like to save ogg vorbis stream from any streaming server do not use download managers and other tools which cant mux the vorbis audo back into ogg vontainer.

Reply #4
^^ that made little sense to me ....

vorbis streams inside the ogg container.. i'm pretty sure that nothing would demux it from ogg and save it as a raw vorbis bitstream.. the way you said it, it would lead me to believe that you were decoding to pcm and saving it that way
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99
lame3.93.1-q5-V9-k-nspsytune

Reply #5
ok yes I did not write right things here. but It does no change in fact that VLC does the job. It even can process ripped files by winamp or stream ripper and assign them a proper header to make them splitable.
I dont understand how can it be done technicaly but I am sure there is no transcoding or wav conversion.
just try VLC with stream save option enabled.