Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: multi-genre tagging (Read 16447 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: multi-genre tagging

Reply #25
The desired behaviour in the album list is called "branching expressions". See here for an explanation:

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Titleformat_Album_List#Branching_expressions

Check the album list preferences (under media library). For branching expressions, you'll have to use %<genre>% instead of %genre%.

If this doesn't work, it could be a character encoding quirk. I've experienced this on rare occasions. Try the following:
Select files -> go to Properties dialog -> right click on the genre-column -> click "Split values..." -> Add ; as a seperator -> OK
-> multiple genres should then be branched in the album list.

Reply #26
Check the album list preferences (under media library). For branching expressions, you'll have to use %<genre>% instead of %genre%.
Take a look at the screenshots. Is that correct?

If so, it’s not something else.

Reply #27
Yes, that looks correct. Does it work?

Reply #28
Does it work?
Yes for MPEG 1 Layer III (.mp3), not for ALAC / MPEG-4 AAC LC (.m4a), FLAC (.flac), Monkey3.97 / Monkey3.99 (.ape), OGG Vorbis (.ogg), PCM / PCM (float) (.wav), WavPack4 (.wv), and WMAV8 / WMA 9.1 (.wma).

Reply #29
If it works for mp3s but not for other files, I suspect that there's a problem with the tags. Try the following with some files that do not work:
select files -> hold shift key -> right click selected files -> in the context menu, look under "Tagging" -> click "Rewrite file tags"

Reply #30
ptk - done. At least FLAC didn't work. I didn't notice any changes either immediately or after restarting the player. The list of music genres still displays entries that include multiple genres, separated by a semicolon. And they contain including those tracks that I processed in the way you recommended. Try it yourself - Google Drive.

Reply #31
Tried these files. Indeed, they showed up with a long list of genres seperated by ;
But using the "Split values..." operation fixed it. See for yourself: google drive

You will have to do this for every file (select everything, go to properties, right-click on "Genre" and split values).

Reply #32
select everything, go to properties, right-click on "Genre" and split values)
Yes, this method helped to split the music genre tag string into separate tags. Thanks! Is TagScanner 6.1.6 so bad at editing tags in APEv2 / APEv2~rg, metadata (for PCM), mp4 (for ALAC and MPEG-4 AAC LC) and vorbis (for FLAC) formats? I would not want to give it up.

Reply #33
I don't know about TagScanner, but foobar2000 itself is the most capable tool for tagging I know of (at least if you're willing to use its scripting facilities according to the Title Formatting Reference)

Reply #34
foobar2000 itself is the most capable tool for tagging
I removed all "Music folders" from "Media Library". (The "Rescan now" function did not update the changed tags in the audio files in the library, the date and time of the change of which did not change, unlike the values of the metadata of these files.) Restarting foobar2000 v1.6.2. Added the same folders to the library. I waited for the end of the scan. And I found that all multitags are still displayed as lists of tags, and not as individual tags. That is, foobar2000 fixes music genre lists only in its library, but not in files?

Reply #35
I removed all "Music folders" from "Media Library". (The "Rescan now" function did not update the changed tags in the audio files in the library, the date and time of the change of which did not change, unlike the values of the metadata of these files.) Restarting foobar2000 v1.6.2. Added the same folders to the library. I waited for the end of the scan. And I found that all multitags are still displayed as lists of tags, and not as individual tags. That is, foobar2000 fixes music genre lists only in its library, but not in files?
Have you split your genre tags yet? Afaik unless you actually do that (right click on the tags you want to have split and select "split values") foobar will always see those tags as a single line of string.

Reply #36
Have you split your genre tags yet?
Sorry. Please mentally insert this phrase before my previous message: "I have separated all genre multitags so that they appear as separate genres in the list".