Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How about music CD Images? (Read 4409 times) previous topic - next topic

How about music CD Images?

I wonder if it is safe to create images out of music CDs (with say Nero) which can later be "mounted" (using say Nero Image Drive) and ripped with EAC.

Is this technique as safe as ripping a physical CD directly with EAC?

Obviously, what I want finally are error free rips like the ones that EAC produces from a physical CD.

Reply #1
I wonder if it is safe to create images out of music CDs (with say Nero) which can later be "mounted" (using say Nero Image Drive) and ripped with EAC.

Obviously, what I want finally are error free rips like the ones that EAC produces from a physical CD.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=318377"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No. At least if your image was created by an unsecure ripper as Nero. Errors might occur (scratched CD, bad drive...) during the rip, and glitchs will therefore be present in the mounted image. EAC can't then detect sonic glitchs or ripping artefacts.

Reply #2
You can create an image directly with EAC. I don't know if Nero Image Drive can mount it then, but Daemon tools can (uncompressed image) and foobar even mounts an image compressed with monkeys audio

Reply #3

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=318377"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No. At least if your image was created by an unsecure ripper as Nero. Errors might occur (scratched CD, bad drive...) during the rip, and glitchs will therefore be present in the mounted image. EAC can't then detect sonic glitchs or ripping artefacts.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=318380"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok, then the question becomes:

1. Are there any "EAC like safe" image makers out there? Or will EAC produce an error free image of an audio CD that can be mounted later??

2. If EAC validates the rip from the mounted image (using accuraterip database), isn't it safe to assume that the rip now is accurate, although the physical CD -> CD Image step was unsafe?

Reply #4
1. Are there any "EAC like safe" image makers out there? Or will EAC produce an error free image of an audio CD that can be mounted later??
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=318384"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can find the image creation function under
Action --> Copy Image & Create Cue Sheet

Later you will have to mount the .cue, not the wav file

Reply #5

2. If EAC validates the rip from the mounted image (using accuraterip database), isn't it safe to assume that the rip now is accurate, although the physical CD -> CD Image step was unsafe?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=318384"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

EAC does not create error free images if the disc is scratched or has a defect but will at least tell you of the error after multiple attempts to re-read the damaged section.If you are still getting errors, you have to resurface the cd or try a different drive etc.

EAC images can be mounted with Daemon Tools easily.

Reply #6
You could also use a cue sheet as an image file and mount the cue on a virtual drive in alcohol 120.

I use this method when I download CDs that have been encoded to a single large mp3.  I just use EAC to decompress the mp3 back to a wav file and edit the cue sheet to point to the wav.  Then mount the cue in alcohol 120 and use EAC to encode as if it was the actual CD.

And if the cue sheet is accurate you can get the disc info from freedb and tag each track quickly and accurately. 

The end result (at least to me) is transparent from encoding the mp3s from the actual CD.  I've tested it a few times with CDs I own and have never been able to notice any kind difference.  The tracks are the same size with the same VBR and the sound quality is identical to my ears.
J

Reply #7
A much better approach to avoid loosing quality would be to split the mp3 image to multiple tracks(mp3's) with something like : http://musicutter.host.sk. Then you can easily tag the tracks by using fb2k and the freedb masstagger component...

-Martin.