Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Loudspeaker cable termination (Read 1367 times) previous topic - next topic

Loudspeaker cable termination

Hi all,
at the risk of posting a silly question, are there spade terminals (perhaps even ring-cable or banana plugs) which can be crimped with a good quality electrical terminal (or even ferrule) crimper?

thanks,
Gaius

Reply #1

I use them but I solder them and cover with heat shrink.

Reply #2
Sure...  Any hardware store will have spade & ring lugs and the crimping tools in their electrical department.  Auto parts stores also have this kind of stuff.

For banana plugs, you'll have to go to an electronic parts store like Radio Shack, Jameco[/u], or Digi-Key[/u], etc.  These stores also carry spade & ring lugs.    I've never seen a crimp-type banana plug, but you can get solderless ones that attach the wire with a screw.

As long as the wire size and ring/spade size is right any of these things are "good enough", and as long as they are properly crimped & connected, a different connector  won't make any difference to the sound.    i.e. They have low resistance as they are designed for handling lots of power-line current without burning down the house!

If you want something more heavy-duty or "audiophile looking", you can find stuff like this at Parts Express.    (Parts Express has the regular reasonably-priced electrical-stuff as well as the audiophile-absurd[/u][/color] stuff.)