Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Id3v2 In Flac Files? (Read 5212 times) previous topic - next topic

Id3v2 In Flac Files?

Hello..

I've been testing out FLAC and Monkey lately and was really interested in FLAC's ability to use ID3v2 tags.  I created a couple files with tags on then and everything worked fine. (Was able to play them with winamp, decompress them, etc) 

Then I went and changed the genre on the tracks just to make sure everything was cool.  After changing the ID3v2 tags the files were no longer able to be decoded.  I tried several different taggers at that point and each had the same result.

So,  are people sucessfully tagging ID3v2 tags on FLAC files?  Making change to them? And if so what are you using to tag?

Thanks!

Id3v2 In Flac Files?

Reply #1
I guess I can assume that ID3V2 tags can't be updated in FLAC files..

If that's the case, then what lossless software supports tagging other then ID3v1 and APEtags?

(As ID3v1 has the 30 character limitations and APEtags don't have any Linux console program support  )

Id3v2 In Flac Files?

Reply #2
Then I went and changed the genre on the tracks just to make sure everything was cool.  After changing the ID3v2 tags the files were no longer able to be decoded.  I tried several different taggers at that point and each had the same result.

What was the error?  I don't know why it shouldn't work.

Josh

Id3v2 In Flac Files?

Reply #3
Hello!

I just made a flac file with a ID3v2 tag.  Played it fine with the Winamp2 plugin and decoded it fine to a wav.  Then went and changed the genre in the ID3v2 tag on the file.  At that point I get the following errors:

From flac itself trying to decode bace to a wav:

ERROR while decoding data: state=5: FLAC__FILE_DECODER_SEEKABLE_STREAM_DECODER_DECODER_ERROR

From the winamp2 plugin (if I already have the file up):

ERROR: invalid/missing FLAC metadata
READ ERROR processing frame
FLAC__FILE_DECODER_SEEKABLE_STREAM_DECODER_DECODER_ERROR

If I then close Winamp and try loading the listening to the file again:

Nullsoft waveout plug-in v2.3
The specified format is not supported or cannort be translated.  Use the Capabilities function to determine the supported formats.

I've tried several taggers with the same result.  Do you have one that you know works?

Thanks...

-James

Id3v2 In Flac Files?

Reply #4
I just made a flac file with a ID3v2 tag.  Played it fine with the Winamp2 plugin and decoded it fine to a wav.  Then went and changed the genre in the ID3v2 tag on the file.  At that point I get the following errors:

This might be a bug in the way the FLAC stream decoder tries to skip over id3v2 tags.  It basically reads the size field that comes after 'ID3', version, and flag bytes, and then skips that many bytes.  For people who know, look at the function "skip_id3v2_tag_" in the following file and let me know if there's something wrong:

stream_decoder.c

Josh

Id3v2 In Flac Files?

Reply #5
I just made a flac file with a ID3v2 tag.  Played it fine with the Winamp2 plugin and decoded it fine to a wav.  Then went and changed the genre in the ID3v2 tag on the file.  At that point I get the following errors:

This might be a bug in the way the FLAC stream decoder tries to skip over id3v2 tags.  It basically reads the size field that comes after 'ID3', version, and flag bytes, and then skips that many bytes.  For people who know, look at the function "skip_id3v2_tag_" in the following file and let me know if there's something wrong:

stream_decoder.c

Josh

Looks fine to me... Skips every eight bit as specified in the ID3v2 docs... I'll try later and see how the complier "handles it"...  (Since my skills in C/C++ aren't the best yet...)

moonshine, perhaps it's simply poor handling of the tags by the tag programs? A "dump" of the header would help to ensure that the tags are correctly made/written... (Use an hexeditor...)

Id3v2 In Flac Files?

Reply #6
Hello..

I gave it a shot again, ripping things with CDex and then changing the ID3v2 tag with Dr. Tag.  Same results.  I looked in theader with a hex editor but can't decipher much other then Dr. Tag seems to pad things a lot.  I did notice in the original something that basically said "fLaC" in the header.  Is this were the Flac file technically starts?

I did go on to find a linux console tagger (id3v2) and tried that and it worked fine!  So thier is likely something up with Dr. Tag. 

It's very hard to find taggers that even display/operate on files that aren't *.mp3.  Does anyone have any other suggestions for a tagger with a gui that handles ID3v2 and files other then mp3 ?

Thanks!