Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CDRs being weared from the edge to the center (Read 4502 times) previous topic - next topic

CDRs being weared from the edge to the center

I was holding a CDR freshly burned, looking at the transparent jewel case... I could see the edge of the CDR inside...

I'm having problems reburning all my old Mitsui Media CDRs that are dying... like for everyone else, the last tracks, near the edge die first. Sometimes, but it's much more uncommon, it's the first track that dies.

It is known that UV light atacks the dye. Manufacturers tests CDRs exposing them to heat, moisture and UV rays.

I was holding this CDR case, then I realized that the edge of the CDR was permanently exposed to light ! I could see it. Even when the CD is stored in the shelf, the upper part of the case, that is translucent is exposed to ambient light, and through it, the upper part of the CDR itself.
Could it be why the edge of burned CDRs becomes used first ?

On the other hand, I had brand new crappy CDRs that was unreadable near the edge just freshly burned...

I don't know what you think about it, but next time, I'll switch back from gold to carbon CDR ! I don't like the idea of the photosensitive layer being exposed to light during years...

Reply #1
Ambient light shouldn't be a problem, but direct sunlight or flourescent lighting will play havoc due to high UV levels.  Flourescent lighting ought to be banned or at least sold with filters.

I'm surprised that no one seems to sell completely opaque black cases, or at least cases that block UV.  I'd use black CD-Rs that pass only the IR band that conventional lasers utilize, but that raises the issue of whether or not blue lasers in future optical drives will be able to read them.

I usually keep my CD-Rs on the floor by the computer where direct exposure to sunlight is impossible.
godzilla525

Reply #2
I do have fluorescent light  !

As for blue lasers, they will need IR lasers in addition anyway, since red DVD lasers are already nearly unable to read conventional CDRs (in the case of old standalone DVD players). They had to built double laser (IR + red) for the drives to be multiread-compatible.

Reply #3
Originally posted by Pio2001
... like for everyone else, the last tracks, near the edge die first. Sometimes, but it's much more uncommon, it's the first track that dies.

I'm not sure about 'everyone else', but I for one have not had any CDRs go bad on me yet.  However, I've only been burning CDRs for about 5 years now.  And a lot of my music CDRs are exposed to light as I use them in my car all the time.  Nevertheless, even my oldest CDRs are still readable.

Originally posted by Pio2001
On the other hand, I had brand new crappy CDRs that was unreadable near the edge just freshly burned...

Seems to me you've got a burner problem instead of media problems.  Again, I've never even had a crappy media CDR go bad on me.  Perhaps I'm lucky, or perhaps it's the fact I've always used a Plextor burner.  Who knows?  Your problems seem unusual.

Daffy

Reply #4
Sony and CMC Magnetics made discs have problems near the end, CMC especially.
godzilla525

Reply #5
I guess it will look like this (C1 and C2 errors over an Imation 32x CD-R):

Reply #6
What did you use to get that graph?
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #9
I have DOS utility for my Lite-On that puts out C1 and C2 graphs (getting images from it is a bit of a pain, though). I use Taiyo Yuden cyanine discs and they don't have a C1 graph nearly that bad.  I consider a "bad" peak to be about 15-20.  Most of the time the graph crawls along the base, even when read/written at 32x.

I went through a bunch of audio CDs (Fujifilm by Taiyo Yuden) that were written over a year ago on my 4x HP8200a and they still have a very low C1 count (slowly increasing a small amount near the end), though not quite as low as what my Lite-On puts out at any speed. 

Interestingly enough, discs that I have burned at higher speeds don't do so well in my CD changer.  4x or 8x seems to be best (I'm in no hurry.)

Failures like this are totally uncharacteristic of Mitsui, and I also thought Phthalocyanine dies were more resistant to UV damage due to their lack of color.

Maybe it's just a bad batch. ???

There's a website out there that had C1/C2 scans plotted against the actual physical location on the disc, and you could see where things went downhill.  Sony was especially bad after 40mins or so.  I expect much better quality than that from one of the founders of the CD standard.  As such, I now steer clear of ANYTHING from Sony. :mad:
godzilla525

Reply #10
Originally posted by godzilla525
Maybe it's just a bad batch. ???

That's quite possible, They're exclusively Mitsui Media Golden Dye burned with Yamaha 6416S.
Mitsui SG burned two years earlier with a Teac don't have this problem.
I've recently burned some new Mitsui Advanced Media Golden Dye. I'll report about them in two years