Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Strange melody at the end of DSotM (Read 3715 times) previous topic - next topic

Strange melody at the end of DSotM

I wonder if someone heard it - at the end of "Eclipse" when the bass is getting out you can hear a melody. It's volume is right above noise level, so it is heard just partially. Does someone know what the tune is that? I hear it if raise volume due to overall lelel falling to the end of song and I think it to be mostly in the right channel.

Reply #1
Yes, I know it's there, but I have no idea what it is.  I know there's a book out there that explains every sample and sound effect PF have ever used.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #2
Maybe a remastered SACD could help fin it out?

Reply #3
I think I remember reading somewhere that it's an orchestral version of "Ticket to Ride."  That could've been a joke, though.
-Tim

Audio/Music Geek Since 1997

Reply #4
I always thought it was a Sinatra tune, but the wikipedia seems to validate tacman82's idea:
On later CD pressings, many people believe a hidden, orchestral version of the Beatles' "Ticket to Ride" is audible after "Eclipse". Why this is so is unknown, and was possibly a mastering mistake. (The bootleg "A Tree Full of Secrets" includes an amplified, enhanced version of this oddity.)

Reply #6
I thought the beatles were broken up by the time Dark Side was recorded (1972-73)? How could the sound "bleed" through time, as well as the soundproof walls?

Reply #7
It's quite possible at the same time Alan was either recording or mixing the "heartbeats" in one studio, another session in the building was recording or mixing that orchestral version of "Ticket To Ride" and through crossed wires, a shared patch bay or reverb chamber, wound up buried underneath what Alan was doing.  (Orchestral/Muzak albums of Beatles tunes were so common back then.)

The Beatles, needless to say, did not record a great number of purely Orchestral versions of their songs

It's also suggested at the same place that it may have been from a radio broadcast...