Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to add a Windows shared folder to Foobar2000? (Read 2400 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: How to add a Windows shared folder to Foobar2000?

Reply #1
I don't really understand why people ask foobar2000 questions on reddit. Reddit doesn't even seem to show that the original post in the thread you linked was later edited to contain the bit about Android - initially it had no OS information making majority of the replies irrelevant/incorrect.

Android has no SMB support built-in. Android doesn't support FTP either, but it's much simpler protocol and Peter could add support for it relatively easily and quickly.
So officially there is no way to add SMB shares to mobile foobar2000. In theory a program that adds SMB support to the OS might work. I found this program that claims to do it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.connectedway.spiritcloud.

As a workaround you could run FTP server on Windows and share the same paths over FTP.

Reply #2
SMB support added in foobar2000 mobile version 1.6 preview.
Add location, smb://user:password@server/....

Using Android system extensions providing network share support is unlikely to work, everything about Android filesystem integration is broken one way or another.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #3
SMB support added in foobar2000 mobile version 1.6 preview.
Add location, smb://user:password@server/....
Great, thank you. I can tell it works.

It does not display the embedded cover art (jpeg) over SMB, can you make that possible? The source files are LC AAC files I created via Apple Encoder.

Improvement: It would be nice if you'd obfuscate the password portion in the path.

Reply #4
Still ironing out SMB compatibility issues, but so far it works better than expected.
Huge thanks to libsmb2 authors (above mentioned issues were mine, not with the library).

Cover art, noted.

Passwords, I'll make them remembered separately and add a settings page listing stored credentials.

Reply #5
Thank you Peter. I noticed fb2k CTDs on testing connection with the test button, if target unavailable.

Reply #6
New build up, bugs fixed again.
If it still crashes, please report what exactly you did. I fixed crash on missing username part of URL.

Reply #7
If it still crashes, please report what exactly you did.
Will do. Simple exaplanation: The smb share is a media library item. I clicked on the "edit" button, then the "Test" button. With the target unavailable, fb2k crashed.

Observations, improvements:

a) After startup, from 3 smb targets in the browser, one of them was greyed out (but the targets are all below the same unc share xyz$). The observation: there was no easy way to refresh view, like with a swipe down. So I went into the media library options, edited the connection, clicked "test", went back into the browser and it was available then. The other way would probably be restart fb2k.

b) How about same terminology in browser as with local file system items?
"Music/Classical on External Storage"
--> "HiddenShare$/Blah/bleh on 192.168.1.1" or "Blah/bleh on 192.168.1.1/HiddenShare$"

Reply #8
Okay, crash fixed in today's build.

Better naming of shares in main view, noted.