Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Fading: smooth seeking - How does it work? (Read 985 times) previous topic - next topic

Fading: smooth seeking - How does it work?

There is a function called FADING: Enable smooth seeking.
I use foobar with no DSP - just a clear player with no bells and whistles.
Signal chain is foobar -> ASIO -> Esi Juli@ -> digital out -> external DAC.
With FADING disabled seeking within the track is choppy.
With FADING enabled seeking within the track is smooth.
But I think the sound is a little diffrent when FADING is enabled or disabled.

So I would like to know is FADING altering the signal in any way? Is it a hidden resampler or some kind of DSP? How that function works?

Re: Fading: smooth seeking - How does it work?

Reply #1
Well, I try to answer myself.
There must be some kind of audio processing when 'FADING - smooth seeking is enabled'. But what kind of DSP is responsible for this?
It is a quite new function so it would be nice to know how it is implemented unless it is a top-secret  :))  If my memory served me well, there was no FADING option prior Fobbar 1.6.

Re: Fading: smooth seeking - How does it work?

Reply #2
It doesn't alter the sound except when performing the operations that need the smoothing (like seeking).

When the feature is enabled you get an extra super low latency buffer between the player core and the output plugin. Under normal operation the buffer passes the data through unaltered. But when smoothing is needed the buffer contents are altered to process the needed fades.