Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FB2K 2.0 error - Won't launch on my *modified* Windows 10. (Read 6967 times) previous topic - next topic

FB2K 2.0 error - Won't launch on my *modified* Windows 10.

Hi.

With changes made in upcoming v2, current beta version is showing this error:
"The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it"

But... this happens on my heavily modified Windows 10 x64 install with many services removed, components not installed, etc. On a vanilla Windows 10 x64 the error doesn't happen.

I don't know what may be causing this. Maybe is the new SQLite database? I have no idea. And while I understand the problem might be just on my side, I suppose it would be useful to find out what's producing this because it might affect someone out there.

Are there any steps I can follow to find where the problem is, or to generate a report a more knowledgeable person may review it?

Thank you!
This forum is full of jerks.

Re: FB2K 2.0 error - Won't launch on my *modified* Windows 10.

Reply #1
I also have an issue, can't even start foobar2000 v2 Beta 2 with the following error message:
Code: [Select]
There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper

Checked this error message and tried some recommended fixes but without success.

@Peter, can you tell us what are the new required dependencies to run foobar2000 v2 Beta 2?
The latest stable foobar2000 v1.6.12 final runs without problems...

-TT

Reply #2
I have a old 32 bit Win 10 installation on an old, maybe 15 years old Intel quad-core, ca 6.000 albums.
Latest Foobar 1 opens in ca 10 seconds, Foobar 2 needs nearly a minute to start. In this minute it's not responding.
What's strange as well is that absolutely all components are greyed out and can't be removed from inside Foobar...

Reply #3
Could we stop hijacking threads?
My question and TT's are somewhat related as maybe an answer with a list of required dependencies or something resembling that would be useful to find where each of our problem may reside.

I don't see how the other post has ANYTHING to do with these so why don't post it on your own thread and keep this one on topic, Alexander?

Reply #4
Well I did not try it out yet because atm I'm kinda busy myself, but you can try Dependency Walker either 32bit or 64bit depends what foobar2000 you've installed.

I see that sqlite3.dll is new in fb2k v2 and you can load it in Dependency Walker, this will list all the required Windows dll's we will need.
Open your original Windows 10 ISO and open install.wim with 7zip and put those required files back into your Windows directories.
Restart and if it does not help, try to register with regsvr32 all those dll's and restart your computer.

@bokeron, if some required Windows services are removed, it won't look good...
But you can try right click on your Windows icon in taskbar > run > type 'services.msc' and try to start all disabled and manual services that are not running.

-TT

Reply #5
I think Peter is too busy to ever visit threads like this. I don't have very warm feelings towards OS mutilations either.

All dependencies the player has are bundled with the installer: Visual C libraries and Universal C Runtime. Microsoft does not document their API functions telling what piece of OS is used behind the scenes.

The missing service issue is probably easily visible with Process Monitor. No idea about TT's issue, but I'd debug it with Process Monitor and possibly Process Explorer too.

At least this time your OS customizations didn't cause false alerts in crash logger. That's good.

@Alexander Ostuni : you probably have components accessing metadb with old APIs. Those are slow in foobar2000 v2.0 and that fact has been mentioned in the release notes. Also that is entirely off topic for this thread.

Reply #6
Hi @Case,

thanks for mentioning Process Monitor, totally forgot about it. Can you or other users show us the processes that foobar2000.exe is using?
In Process Monitor, click on Process Tree icon:

Then find foobar2000.exe and click on the "Include Process" button and in the main window, right click on the first entry ( Process start ) foobar2000.exe > Properties. Stack tab.
Can you post screenshots of all the processes?

This would help, thanks!

-TT

Reply #7
Thanks @TT and @Case

I know 'mutilated' OS can be a mess. I've been modifying my installs since Win95. I was able to run WinXP smoothly on a 486 because of it. With this I mean my OSes can run almost any software I throw at them... but sometimes I need to accept some compromises which may cause a problem eventually. This seems to be the case.

I am trying to reduce the list of possible sources of error, so I asked for help here hoping to find what's changed from 1.6.x to 2.x because I don't see why what's listed in the changelog may cause this error. If no one can provide further data I suppose I'll also need to go and inspect processes, files accessed, reg keys, etc.

I once had a problem with a program which wasn't working because a chinese nls file wasn't present... and the program didn't even offered chinese as a language. Go figure.

Reply #8
Then find foobar2000.exe and click on the "Include Process" button and in the main window, right click on the first entry ( Process start ) foobar2000.exe > Properties. Stack tab. Can you post screenshots of all the processes?
This won't help. All it shows is access to ntoskrnl.exe and unknown modules.

I was thinking that you people would use Process Monitor to see what is attempted to be accessed and see where things error out.

But here's a list of modules loaded by clean portable foobar2000 v2.0 beta 3 x86 edition from Process Explorer:
Process: foobar2000.exe
Name Description Company Name Path
GdiPlus.dll Microsoft GDI+ Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.1.22000.675_none_1631a6712776d946\GdiPlus.dll
comctl32.dll Käyttäjäkokemus-ohjausobjektien kirjasto Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.22000.120_none_e541a94fcce8ed6d\comctl32.dll
xmllite.dll Microsoft XmlLite Library Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\xmllite.dll
wldp.dll Windows Lockdown Policy Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wldp.dll
WinTypes.dll Windows Base Types DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WinTypes.dll
wintrust.dll Microsoft Trust Verification APIs Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wintrust.dll
winmm.dll MCI API DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmm.dll
winhttp.dll Windows HTTP Services Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winhttp.dll
Windows.UI.dll Windows Runtime UI Foundation DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Windows.UI.dll
windows.storage.dll Microsoft WinRT Storage API Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\windows.storage.dll
Windows.Media.Playback.ProxyStub.dll BackgroundMediaPlayer Proxy Stub DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Windows.Media.Playback.ProxyStub.dll
Windows.Media.Playback.BackgroundMediaPlayer.dll Windows Media Playback BackgroundMediaPlayer DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Windows.Media.Playback.BackgroundMediaPlayer.dll
Windows.Media.MediaControl.dll Windows Runtime MediaControl server DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Windows.Media.MediaControl.dll
Windows.Media.Devices.dll Windows Runtime media device server DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Windows.Media.Devices.dll
win32u.dll Win32u Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\win32u.dll
version.dll Version Checking and File Installation Libraries Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\version.dll
uxtheme.dll Microsoft UxTheme Library Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\uxtheme.dll
user32.dll Yhteiskäyttö-Windows USER API Client -DLL-kirjasto Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll
umpdc.dll User Mode Power Dependency Coordinator Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\umpdc.dll
ucrtbase.dll Microsoft® C Runtime Library Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ucrtbase.dll
twinapi.appcore.dll twinapi.appcore Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\twinapi.appcore.dll
TextShaping.dll C:\Windows\SysWOW64\TextShaping.dll
TextInputFramework.dll "TextInputFramework.DYNLINK" Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\TextInputFramework.dll
sspicli.dll Security Support Provider Interface Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll
shlwapi.dll Shell Light-weight Utility Library Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shlwapi.dll
shell32.dll Windows Shell Common Dll Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll
SHCore.dll SHCORE Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\SHCore.dll
secur32.dll Security Support Provider Interface Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\secur32.dll
sechost.dll Host for SCM/SDDL/LSA Lookup APIs Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll
RTWorkQ.dll Realtime WorkQueue DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\RTWorkQ.dll
rsaenh.dll Microsoft Enhanced Cryptographic Provider Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rsaenh.dll
rpcrt4.dll Remote Procedure Call Runtime Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll
powrprof.dll Power Profile Helper DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\powrprof.dll
OneCoreUAPCommonProxyStub.dll OneCoreUAP Common Proxy Stub Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\OneCoreUAPCommonProxyStub.dll
oleaut32.dll OLEAUT32.DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oleaut32.dll
oleaccrc.dll Active Accessibility Resource DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oleaccrc.dll
oleacc.dll Active Accessibility Core Component Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oleacc.dll
ole32.dll Microsoft OLE for Windows Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ole32.dll
ntmarta.dll Windows NT MARTA provider Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntmarta.dll
ntdll.dll NT Layer -kirjasto (DLL) Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
msvcrt.dll Windows NT CRT DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll
msvcp_win.dll Microsoft® C Runtime Library Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp_win.dll
msimg32.dll GDIEXT Client DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msimg32.dll
msctf.dll MSCTF Server DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msctf.dll
msasn1.dll ASN.1 Runtime APIs Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msasn1.dll
msacm32.dll Microsoft ACM Audio Filter Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msacm32.dll
MMDevAPI.dll MMDevice API Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MMDevAPI.dll
mfplat.dll Media Foundation Platform DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mfplat.dll
MFMediaEngine.dll Media Foundation Media Engine DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MFMediaEngine.dll
KernelBase.dll Windows NT BASE API Client DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll
kernel32.dll Windows NT BASE API Client DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll
kernel.appcore.dll AppModel API Host Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel.appcore.dll
imm32.dll Multi-User Windows IMM32 API Client DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll
imagehlp.dll Windows NT Image Helper Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imagehlp.dll
gdi32full.dll GDI Client DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32full.dll
gdi32.dll GDI Client DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll
ExplorerFrame.dll ExplorerFrame Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ExplorerFrame.dll
dxgi.dll DirectX Graphics Infrastructure Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dxgi.dll
DXCore.dll DXCore Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DXCore.dll
DWrite.dll Microsoft DirectX Typography Services Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DWrite.dll
dwmapi.dll Microsoft Desktop Window Manager API Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dwmapi.dll
drvstore.dll Driver Store API Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drvstore.dll
directxdatabasehelper.dll DirectXDatabaseHelper Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\directxdatabasehelper.dll
devobj.dll Device Information Set DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\devobj.dll
dbghelp.dll Windows Image Helper Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dbghelp.dll
dbgcore.dll Windows Core Debugging Helpers Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dbgcore.dll
DataExchange.dll Data exchange Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DataExchange.dll
d3d11.dll Direct3D 11 Runtime Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3d11.dll
d2d1.dll Microsoft D2D Library Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d2d1.dll
cryptsp.dll Cryptographic Service Provider API Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptsp.dll
cryptnet.dll Crypto Network Related API Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptnet.dll
cryptbase.dll Base cryptographic API DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll
crypt32.dll Crypto API32 Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\crypt32.dll
CoreUIComponents.dll Microsoft Core UI Components Dll Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CoreUIComponents.dll
CoreMessaging.dll Microsoft CoreMessaging Dll Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CoreMessaging.dll
comdlg32.dll Common Dialogs DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\comdlg32.dll
combase.dll Microsoft COM for Windows Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\combase.dll
clbcatq.dll COM+ Configuration Catalog Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\clbcatq.dll
cfgmgr32.dll Configuration Manager DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cfgmgr32.dll
bcryptprimitives.dll Windows Cryptographic Primitives Library Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\bcryptprimitives.dll
bcrypt.dll Windows Cryptographic Primitives Library (Wow64) Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\bcrypt.dll
AudioSes.dll Audio Session Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\AudioSes.dll
atlthunk.dll atlthunk.dll Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atlthunk.dll
advapi32.dll Advanced Windows 32 Base API Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll
wow64win.dll Wow64 Console and Win32 API Logging Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\System32\wow64win.dll
wow64cpu.dll AMD64 Wow64 CPU Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\System32\wow64cpu.dll
wow64con.dll C:\Windows\System32\wow64con.dll
wow64base.dll C:\Windows\System32\wow64base.dll
wow64.dll Win32 Emulation on NT64 Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\System32\wow64.dll
ntdll.dll NT Layer -kirjasto (DLL) Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
locale.nls C:\Windows\System32\locale.nls
l_intl.nls C:\Windows\System32\l_intl.nls
nvwgf2um.dll NVIDIA D3D10 Driver, Version 516.94 NVIDIA Corporation C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispig.inf_amd64_47917a79b8c7fd22\nvwgf2um.dll
nvldumd.dll NVIDIA Driver Loader, Version 516.94 NVIDIA Corporation C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispig.inf_amd64_47917a79b8c7fd22\nvldumd.dll
C_437.NLS C:\Windows\System32\C_437.NLS
C_1252.NLS C:\Windows\System32\C_1252.NLS
R00000000000d.clb C:\Windows\Registration\R00000000000d.clb
SortDefault.nls C:\Windows\Globalization\Sorting\SortDefault.nls
StaticCache.dat C:\Windows\Fonts\StaticCache.dat
zlib1.dll zlib data compression library C:\foobar2000\zlib1.dll
vcruntime140.dll Microsoft® C Runtime Library Microsoft Corporation C:\foobar2000\vcruntime140.dll
vccorlib140.dll Microsoft ® VC WinRT core library Microsoft Corporation C:\foobar2000\vccorlib140.dll
sqlite3.dll C:\foobar2000\sqlite3.dll
shared.dll C:\foobar2000\shared.dll
PP-UWP-Interop.dll C:\foobar2000\PP-UWP-Interop.dll
msvcp140.dll Microsoft® C Runtime Library Microsoft Corporation C:\foobar2000\msvcp140.dll
foobar2000.exe foobar2000 Piotr Pawlowski C:\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe
foo_unpack.dll C:\foobar2000\components\foo_unpack.dll
foo_ui_std.dll C:\foobar2000\components\foo_ui_std.dll
foo_input_std.dll C:\foobar2000\components\foo_input_std.dll
foo_freedb2.dll C:\foobar2000\components\foo_freedb2.dll
foo_fileops.dll C:\foobar2000\components\foo_fileops.dll
foo_dsp_std.dll C:\foobar2000\components\foo_dsp_std.dll
foo_dsp_eq.dll C:\foobar2000\components\foo_dsp_eq.dll
foo_converter.dll C:\foobar2000\components\foo_converter.dll
avutil-fb2k-57.dll C:\foobar2000\avutil-fb2k-57.dll
avformat-fb2k-59.dll C:\foobar2000\avformat-fb2k-59.dll
avcodec-fb2k-59.dll C:\foobar2000\avcodec-fb2k-59.dll
bd8b4b2ad74af09d151937056a19ca7a_fce8395c8fd8a99d_7722d676042ef356_0_0.0.toc %localappdata%\NVIDIA\DXCache\bd8b4b2ad74af09d151937056a19ca7a_fce8395c8fd8a99d_7722d676042ef356_0_0.0.toc
bd8b4b2ad74af09d151937056a19ca7a_fce8395c8fd8a99d_7722d676042ef356_0_0.0.bin %localappdata%\NVIDIA\DXCache\bd8b4b2ad74af09d151937056a19ca7a_fce8395c8fd8a99d_7722d676042ef356_0_0.0.bin
crypt32.dll.mui Crypto API32 Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.LanguageExperiencePackfi-FI_22000.23.103.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Windows\System32\fi-FI\c85646935ba325e4f60b4f1a293c24c7\crypt32.dll.mui
KernelBase.dll.mui Windows NT BASE APIn asiakas-DLL Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.LanguageExperiencePackfi-FI_22000.23.103.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Windows\System32\fi-FI\a7c1941e6709c10ab525083b61805316\KernelBase.dll.mui

PS. This OS altering really is pointless. You save some megabytes of disk space by eliminating "useless" files but it won't make the OS run faster, unless you really only have hundreds of megabytes of memory and every bit counts. The services that aren't needed consume no processing power.

Reply #9
PS. This OS altering really is pointless. You save some megabytes of disk space by eliminating "useless" files but it won't make the OS run faster, unless you really only have hundreds of megabytes of memory and every bit counts. The services that aren't needed consume no processing power.

Thanks for the list. I'm already trying different approaches. If something comes up I'll report back in case my results are useful for someone.

Regarding the quoted text, though offtopic, I'd like to comment a bit on this.
It does make the OS run "lighter". I don't need literally several hundreds of features Windows installs wether you need them or not. Many of them are processes considered essential... which aren't... and are running constantly, or checking periodically, transferring data, reporting... this uses disk access time, RAM and CPU cycles. Other just use disk space.
For whatever the reason, my OSes don't hang, don't bluescreen, and when some failure occur, they behave in a less catastrophical way than what you experience in a full Windows install. It's been like this for 20+ years.
Windows has come a long way, and hardware too. The impact on a modern system isn't as significative today as it was on the past... but still, in a 1TB SSD, if I can save 10gb that's 10gb more I have for some other things I do need. Having 64gb of RAM I don't really notice a few hundred Mb more or less for core Windows functionality. My Ryzen 5900x is powerful enough to run whatever Windows desires to run.
But, in the end, it's a "philosophical stance" - I prefer my OSes "Lean and Clean". I'd love to see a "modular" Windows, like Linux can still be today.
It is getting harder to achieve, and I'm growing tired of how each new Windows version tries to force more and more "functionality" on me which in the end I do not need or care for. I'd run only Linux if I didn't need full-performance for some Windows-only software.

Reply #10
First, even if it is not going to be supported, then these sudden compatibility shifts can tell whether applications are using OS components there is no good reason for them to use. In the very least, that is worth reporting for the exercise of debugging.

I do not know how Windows 10 and 11 behave on this matter, but earlier Windows versions provided for removing components. My previous "music computer" was a fanless Dell Mini with a total of 4 GB storage. Obviously the bundled Windows version was trimmed down. If the application's requirements for sheer computing power are satisfied, then a "for Windows but not on Dell Windows" would be a bugware warning.

Reply #11
these sudden compatibility shifts can tell whether applications are using OS components there is no good reason for them to use. In the very least, that is worth reporting for the exercise of debugging.

This was the other reason I had to start this thread - besides what affects me personally because my OS "mutilation".

I understand a change in the "innards" of fb2k may change software requeriments, though. There may be - there surely is- a valid reason for this.
My reasoning was... out there people have an unpredictably wide array of OS changes made by themselves or OEMs. It wouldn't hurt to find what causes this to my OS because it might affect someone else who didn't even change a thing on their PC but their Windows differ in exactly the same problem-triggering element.

Reply #12
I prefer my OSes "Lean and Clean". I'd love to see a "modular" Windows, like Linux can still be today.
It is getting harder to achieve, and I'm growing tired of how each new Windows version tries to force more and more "functionality" on me which in the end I do not need or care for. I'd run only Linux if I didn't need full-performance for some Windows-only software.
Here here.  I've been trying to make the switch to exclusively Linux, but the fact is there's too much I use I can only run in Windows (and now that includes FB2K!).  It would be easier for somebody starting out if they didn't spend decades getting skilled with Windows tools.  So far as new Windows versions are concerned, I refuse to shift from Win7!

My previous "music computer" was a fanless Dell Mini with a total of 4 GB storage. Obviously the bundled Windows version was trimmed down.
My music computer is a netbook running Win7 Starter.  I've acquired another as a spare!
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #13
OK, now back on topic.
On a vanilla Windows 10 x64 install I've disabled all but 20 services of the 256 that exist, and it could be just 18 if Windows Defender were not so... defensive... The system is not very functional as it is but the important point here is that...

... FB2K still runs!

Most of the services left are essential to windows working at all, so disabling one more the system fails one way or another.
All those services exist, and work, on my modified install.

There are two services, Application Information (Appinfo) and State Repository Service (StateRepository) that do prevent FB2K from launching if disabled.
On my modified Windows install, those services are also present and working.

I don't know what to make out of this.

EDIT: Using Process Explorer, all DLLs used by foobar2000.exe in vanilla Windows are also present in modified Windows.
I still don't know what to make out of this.

Reply #14
I don't know what to make out of this.

I once had a problem with a program which wasn't working because a chinese nls file wasn't present... and the program didn't even offered chinese as a language. Go figure.

Looks like stopping unnecessary services is not the only thing that you did to your OS

Reply #15
@bokeron
I disabled things like telemetry or minimize it to the most basic level allowed and beef up security as far as Windows is concerned.  I customize with Group Policy Editor my OS so nothing can change my wallpaper or start adding annoying system sounds.  I've never had problems with my desktop apps unless it was poorly written that it crashes for just about everyone in the world that uses it or poorly documented to the point I can't figure out how to actually use it.  System restore is on and I use Windows sandbox to test some stuff out with apps.

I use a clean install of Windows with the appropriate device drivers as a base at the OS level that's easily updatable.  No OEM preinstalled crap here.  Avoid over customizing Windows as it give you hell.  Stick close to stock.

The user folders are kind of safe to manually clean up if you know what you're doing.  Program Files less so.  The Windows folder and other system folders even way less so.  Generally you don't need to clean out a system unless you uninstall an app or want to get rid of temporary files after finishing a massive project or updating a bunch of apps manually.  You can do an upgrade in place to clean up some left over crap from feature updates long ago but that carries risks, too.

Bottom line: Don't over do it because you can break it and will need a full reinstall to fix.

Reply #16
Looks like stopping unnecessary services is not the only thing that you did to your OS

Maybe I need to clarify it again. Starting from a vanilla Windows 10 x64 I have:

OS 1: Install size 5.34GB, RAM used 0.7GB
Heavily modified OS. And I mean heavily. Services aren't only stopped but removed. Packages removed using DISM. Lots of features removed with most of their files unless they're needed for anything else. Too long to explain it here.
This OS runs "everything" just fine. FB2K 1.6.x, Premiere, Lightroom, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Ableton Live, Software synths, Microsoft Office, VMware Workstation, VueScan, Krita, KiCAD, Python, Matlab, Android Studio, Cadence AWR and Virtuoso, etcetera...
I test all the software I need before deploying the OS.

OS 2: Install size, 19.1GB, RAM used 1.5GB
Vanilla Windows install

OS 1 can't run new FB2K 2.0, though. I'm just trying to find why.
This is the one that failed ONE TIME, 6 years ago, because of an nls file.

OS 2 can run FB2K 2.0, and when I'm writing I've stopped every service but 20 I'm referring to this OS. And I disabled them to test if any of them was needed for the new FB2K version so I could find something useful trying to solve the problem with OS 1.

PS: @Chibisteven thanks for your message but, as I've said before, I've been doing this for 20+ years. I know Windows quite well... though I can't find why FB2K 2.0 won't run LOL.

Reply #17
@bokeron,

finally had some time to debug this problem and I bring good news.
I know where the problem is and what we ( at least for me it's working ) need to make fb2k v2 work.
First I need to make a new Windows image and make some final testing.

My Win10x64 ISO is only 980 MB and 3.95 GB installed 8) and yea I've been slimming my Windows since XP too...

-TT

Reply #18
@bokeron,

finally had some time to debug this problem and I bring good news.
I know where the problem is and what we ( at least for me it's working ) need to make fb2k v2 work.
First I need to make a new Windows image and make some final testing.

My Win10x64 ISO is only 980 MB and 3.95 GB installed 8) and yea I've been slimming my Windows since XP too...

-TT

Great news. I hope you can solve it on your end.
If I'm lucky your solution might solve my problem too, or at least throw some light on the matter.

Reply #19
Got it working,

here is the minimum list of Windows services you need to have running:

Application Information
Background Task Infrastructure
Base Filtering Engine
CoreMessaging
DCOM Server Process Launcher
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Group Policy Client
Local Session Manager
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness
Network Store Interface Service
Power
Radio Managment Service
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
RPC Endpoint Mapper
Security Accounts Manager
System Events Broker
Task Scheduler
User Manager
User Profile Service
Windows Defender Firewall
Windows Event log

The new fb2k v2 needs to have two additional services/dll's, do not completely remove nor disable:

Application Information (Appinfo) > System32\appinfo.dll
If the service is not running, you will get the error message: The interface is unknown.
The Appinfo service is also linked to User Account Control (UAC) so don't remove UAC completely.
I have set this service to manual start.

Connected Devices Platform Service (CDPSvc) > System32\CDPSvc.dll
Connected Devices Platform User Service (CDPUserSvc) > System32\CDPUserSvc.dll
These two are linked to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and RPC Endpoint Mapper.
I have set those two services to manual start.

That's it, I hope it helps for other people.

-TT

Reply #20
@TT Good for you! Glad you solved it.

On my side things look different.

All the services you mention except the two "Connected Devices Platform" are present, enabled and running on my modified OS.
So, this might be the cause of the problem.

BUT

On my non-modified OS, where FB2K works OK, I tested disabling a lot of services as I've said somewhere before.
The funny thing is... of all services you mentioned, I have DISABLED these:

Base Filtering Engine
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness
Network Store Interface Service
Power
Radio Managment Service
Task Scheduler
Windows Defender Firewall
Connected Devices Platform Service
Connected Devices Platform User Service

And FB2K still works.

And, apart from this... why on earth would FB2K be so dependant on those 2 services and the Connected Devices Platform, which is useful to some but in no way is essential and shouldn't be treated as that?

Reply #21
The list I've posted is the minimum without completely breaking the OS.
I think you can after post-install ( but not before, because it breaks Windows installation ) remove the Windows Firewall,
I'm using the Comodo Firewall anyways.

You definitely need:
Application Information (Appinfo) > System32\appinfo.dll, without it you get error message: The interface is unknown.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
RPC Endpoint Mapper
User Manager, without it you get error message: The interface is unknown.

I guess in the new fb2k v2 version, there is a new remote control option and maybe some new streaming option,
that's why you need the RPC and the other services that are linked and communicating with each other.
My problem was, that I have completely removed UAC that also removed Application Information. This was needed with
the two Connected Devices Platform Service to be able communicate with the RPC service.

Btw, you can also check right click on Windows taskbar icon > Run > services.msc , the dependencies for each of these services. Right click > Properties > Dependencies tab.

-TT

Reply #22
You definitely need:
Application Information (Appinfo) > System32\appinfo.dll, without it you get error message: The interface is unknown.

If you read my messages above, just for testing I installed a non-modified Windows 10 x64 and disabled everything but 20 services, and while Windows failed a lot, FB2K still worked. Is not a Windows to be used at all, is just an experiment.

So, what I mean is I also disabled these these 3 services I've quoted and FB2K still works, so they seem to be non-essential for FB2K on my full-install.

On the other hand, on the OS I do use, the modified one, many services aren't just disabled, they aren't installed at all, so no reg key for them, no DLLs, etcetera.
So your findings are interesting because in this OS I don't have the 2 services related to "Connected Devices Platform" - they're not disabled, they don't exist at all, no DLLs, nothing... so it might be that whatever else that isn't set up properly for these services because I removed them from the install ISO is messing withg FB2K 2.0.

And, assuming this were the case, I still don't see anything new in the changelog for 2.x that needs them. So I'm curious about why are they a requeriment now (if that's what is really happening, which I don't know).

I do think developers should put some thought on this issue we are (well, now only *I* am LOL) having, if only to pinpoint what the problem really is and conclude it is because of what I did and can't be reproduced except by nuking the OS but not by OEM modifications or something like that.

Reply #23
My previous "music computer" was a fanless Dell Mini with a total of 4 GB storage. Obviously the bundled Windows version was trimmed down. If the application's requirements for sheer computing power are satisfied, then a "for Windows but not on Dell Windows" would be a bugware warning.

And my main setup is a fanless Dell Mini with just added SSD space and more RAM to force it to run MSVC2022.

I didn't need to alter it at all. Making developers cater to butchered Windows installs is insane.

Reply #24
My previous "music computer" was a fanless Dell Mini with a total of 4 GB storage. Obviously the bundled Windows version was trimmed down. If the application's requirements for sheer computing power are satisfied, then a "for Windows but not on Dell Windows" would be a bugware warning.

And my main setup is a fanless Dell Mini with just added SSD space and more RAM to force it to run MSVC2022.

I didn't need to alter it at all. Making developers cater to butchered Windows installs is insane.

Who is asking for that?

In my own case, I just need help to pinpoint why is failing for me so I can make modifications to my OS to run FB2K again. Why is everyone here so defensive?

In the case you quote, is the OEM who "butchers" the OS. So your answer means you don't care if your software runs in a commercial and licensed product.

Maybe the questions you should be making are...
1. What have we changed that makes the new version to fail on a licensed OEM Windows?
2. Do we really need to do it that way or can we offer the same functionality without causing issues on licensed OEM installs?
3. Can we at least indicate what is required to run the software to those users who bought a commercial licensed product?