Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC Unhandled exception at ASPI32.4152 -> ASSIGN-RANGE (Read 28215 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: EAC Unhandled exception at ASPI32.4152 -> ASSIGN-RANGE

Reply #25
Maybe, but something must be able to rip it correctly.
IT'S CALLED USE A "FILE CONVERTER", NOT A CD RIPPER FOR THIS TASK!

I'M NOT INTERESTED IN A "FILE CONVERTER", I NEED A RIPPING SOFTWARE THAT CAN WORK WITH VIRTUALLY MOUNTED DRIVE WITH IMAGE+CUE LONGER THAN ~99-140 MINUTES!
I'm not here to be convinced to use a file converter.

Personally I would rather use something that works like EAC for physical discs, rather than a converter.
There is no difference between EAC and an appropriate file converter for this task. You will get the same files either way, except that the converter supports more than 100 minutes of audio and EAC does not.

Perhaps, but I won't get a log, just like for ay other virtual image+cue within Red Book limits.

Reply #26
I'M NOT INTERESTED IN A "FILE CONVERTER", I NEED A RIPPING SOFTWARE THAT CAN WORK WITH VIRTUALLY MOUNTED DRIVE WITH IMAGE+CUE LONGER THAN ~99-140 MINUTES!

THAT'S THE SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM!  USE A FILE CONVERTER!

Reply #27
Perhaps, but I won't get a log, just like for ay other virtual image+cue within Red Book limits.
What good is a log when you're ripping a virtual CD? What does it tell you that you wouldn't already know by the very nature of the CD being virtual?

Reply #28

It is not, it doesn't point to a way to rip image+cue files in the same workflow as physical CDs, neither is it a colution to fix the unhandles exception in EAC. So it's even offtopic.

What good is a log when you're ripping a virtual CD? What does it tell you that you wouldn't already know by the very nature of the CD being virtual?

I have the log, with basic information about the process, even if the drive was virtual, plus peace of mind, sanity, etc.

Also, I made Cue for the separate 16/44,1 tracks and it doesn't mount to begin with.

Reply #29
I have the log, with basic information about the process, even if the drive was virtual, plus peace of mind, sanity, etc.
Create your own log that just says "this wasn't a real CD". Does that work?

Also, I made Cue for the separate 16/44,1 tracks and it doesn't mount to begin with.
Does it need to?

Reply #30
Create your own log that just says "this wasn't a real CD". Does that work?

Does it need to?

It doesn't work that way, unfortunately.

Unless EAC, or other program can start directly with Cue file, rip the image to tracks, then not really.

Reply #31
Unless EAC, or other program can start directly with Cue file, rip the image to tracks, then not really.
If it's already split into tracks, ripping it will give you exactly the same files. So what do you gain by turning it into a virtual CD and ripping it?

Reply #32
If it's already split into tracks, ripping it will give you exactly the same files. So what do you gain by turning it into a virtual CD and ripping it?

The tracks I mentioned were converted to be CDDA compliant.
I would gain files ripped by my preffered software, or ay other that can actually pull it off, to my preffered codec with my preffered settings (different from source), a log file, peace of mind/sanity/etc for doing it as per my workflow, potentially a modification to the original software to be able to do similar tasks in the future.

Reply #33
Converting audio to a virtual CD in order to rip it is the opposite of sanity.

You already have to change your workflow to handle non-CD sources anyway, so how about focusing on separating the "rip from CD" step and the "convert to preferred codec" step? That way, when you want to deal with something that isn't a CD, you can skip the "rip from CD" step.

Reply #34
Converting audio to a virtual CD in order to rip it is the opposite of sanity.

You already have to change your workflow to handle non-CD sources anyway, so how about focusing on separating the "rip from CD" step and the "convert to preferred codec" step? That way, when you want to deal with something that isn't a CD, you can skip the "rip from CD" step.

I am aware, but it does keep me within optimal functioning paramteres for my brain.
Sure it can be just converted, but I would preffer to keep my workflow.
The additional step is either convert to multitrack file, if the source is not CDDA, or generate a cue sheet for "tracks+cue" variant, when it is CDDA. Then it can be ripped just like every other CD, except it's mounted as virtual drive.
So, to sum up, I'm not looking for a way to convert it to my end format of preference, but how to circumvent EAC's unhandled exception, or CueTools' invalid stride, while staying in the ripping domain.

Reply #35
So, to sum up, I'm not looking for a way to convert it to my end format of preference, but how to circumvent EAC's unhandled exception, or CueTools' invalid stride, while staying in the ripping domain.
There is no workaround and there never will be.

Reply #36
I mean, you are wasting people's time here - first of all by saying you want to "rip" something that is on file and that you already have access to, that has already made people try to figure out how.
If it is image+.wav (which isn't optimal storage ...), then it isn't something to "rip".

Sure I have also been in a situation where I've been going "yes I know this can be done using a tool that is perfect for it, but I want to do it with this tool instead because that is what I know and use all the time!" - but just don't expect that to be resolved in a forum the developer doesn't even read.

Actually I even would want CUETools to convert non-CDDA (because, CUETools rules), but again, ... that doesn't seem to happen. What should I do? Call up HA with misleading words that suggest I am doing something I ain't, hoping that this will make the braintrust more eager to help me in the future? (Heck, HA has a "Buddy list" functionality, but if it had an "Ignore list" you would have been on a few already.)

Oh, and: refalac can split cue+<suitable image file>.

Reply #37
I mean, you are wasting people's time here - first of all by saying you want to "rip" something that is on file and that you already have access to, that has already made people try to figure out how.
If it is image+.wav (which isn't optimal storage ...), then it isn't something to "rip".

Sure I have also been in a situation where I've been going "yes I know this can be done using a tool that is perfect for it, but I want to do it with this tool instead because that is what I know!" - but just don't expect that to be resolved in a forum the developer doesn't even read.

Actually I even would want CUETools to convert non-CDDA (because, CUETools rules), but again, ... that doesn't seem to happen.

Oh, and: refalac can split cue+<suitable image file>.

If the people whose time is being wasted weren't engaging, if they don't know a fixture toe the error, maybe their time wouldn't be wasted.
It is image.wav+.cue, I know it's not optimal storage, this is why I'm ripping them to tracks. But it kinda is ideal for archiving, especially band-released CD-Rs.

I'm aware devs don'r lurk here. I was reading some posts about CueTools returning this error and this is where I learned that it normally woudl work with files for up to ~140 minutes, this is how I "ripped" other albums in the past that EAC would refuse to do.

I know of splitting image+cue to tracks software. Would refalac convert it to other format and leave EAC-like log afterwards though?

The error has already been described here:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,118913.msg980695.html#msg980695
And the list of stuff that would be nice to have in CueTools is available here:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,118915.0.html

Reply #38
If the people whose time is being wasted weren't engaging, if they don't know a fixture toe the error, maybe their time wouldn't be wasted.
There is no fix for the error. There will never be a fix for the error.

It is image.wav+.cue, I know it's not optimal storage, this is why I'm ripping them to tracks. But it kinda is ideal for archiving, especially band-released CD-Rs.
WAV doesn't have checksums, that's pretty far from ideal for archiving. (And if you're careful about how you do it, you can split them into tracks in a way that's still suitable for archiving.)

I know of splitting image+cue to tracks software. Would refalac convert it to other format and leave EAC-like log afterwards though?
No. Why do you want an EAC-like log when you're not ripping a physical CD? What would the log tell you?

Reply #39
There is no fix for the error. There will never be a fix for the error.

WAV doesn't have checksums, that's pretty far from ideal for archiving. (And if you're careful about how you do it, you can split them into tracks in a way that's still suitable for archiving.)

No. Why do you want an EAC-like log when you're not ripping a physical CD? What would the log tell you?

If there is an error a way to fix it can be developed, maybe not by software curators, but there is always a fix possible. Since there is a cap set for CueTools, it can be changed.

I know, Red Book compliant tracks+cue is another option, but I will not delve into superiority of non-default gap handling right now.

Then refalac is ouf of the question.
The log would tell me most of the stuff a log from physical CD extraction will, it's just something I preffer to have and it all comes down to the already questioned state of my mind, which is not the subject of this inquiry. Like EAC version, extraction date, mode and settings, output format options, TOC, track details, etc, you know what's in the log.

Reply #40
Like EAC version, extraction date, mode and settings, output format options, TOC, track details, etc, you know what's in the log.
Most of the information in the log only makes sense when ripping a CD and is pointless for conversion.

But sure, if it makes you feel better you can write a script that calls refalac and logs the output to a file. You can do that with any other conversion tool, too.

Reply #41
I could adopt it as a temporary measure.
I have a ready made ffmpeg batch-conversion script. How do I add a Eac-style log generation to it I wonder (I reckon CueTools has a setting of "generate EAC-styel log", if I'm not mistaken).

Reply #42
I have a ready made ffmpeg batch-conversion script.
But it is not possible to set time in samples or in audio frames in ffmpeg command line tool. So splitting image+cue with ffmpeg will not be sample-accurate in most cases.

As for log, you can type it manually in Notepad.

Reply #43
I have a ready made ffmpeg batch-conversion script.
But it is not possible to set time in samples or in audio frames in ffmpeg command line tool. So splitting image+cue with ffmpeg will not be sample-accurate in most cases.

As for log, you can type it manually in Notepad.

I get the impression that you completely misunderstood everything I said.
In regard with ffmpeg, it was already in the conversion from source tracks stage, not image+cue ripping.
When it comes to log, I can't manually calculate CRC for example, not to mention I would know I made it manually, rather than it geing generated by software as operations, well, log, thus not being prone to human error.

Reply #44
So, what you want from the log is the audio checksum?

Perhaps you should choose a format that includes built-in checksums, like FLAC or WavPack. If a file becomes corrupted, you'll be able to detect it by verifying the internal checksum.

Plus, this way there's no need to convert the source audio to CD-compatible 16-bit 44.1kHz PCM.

Reply #45
So, what you want from the log is the audio checksum?

Perhaps you should choose a format that includes built-in checksums, like FLAC or WavPack. If a file becomes corrupted, you'll be able to detect it by verifying the internal checksum.

Plus, this way there's no need to convert the source audio to CD-compatible 16-bit 44.1kHz PCM.

I want everything that is in a log to be written by the riping/conversion program in EAC-style.
I won't be redoing my entire library in another format.
The only need is that EAC/CueTools doesn't rip images that are not 16/44,1.
CueTools source code is available online, surely someone with skills could dig up the piece of code that needs to be changed to work with longer images.

Reply #46
I'm a little OCD with my collecton, still refusing to acknowledge any source outside of CD just so that I can have verified rips (AccurateRip/CTDB), but the thought of creating fake rip logs makes me really uncomfortable.

I never said that the image came directly from anywhere. The lossless WAV from bandcamp was not 16/44,1, hence it was converted to 16/44,1 image+cue
I know you're not going to accept anything other than what you're asking for (which I can't imagine will ever happen), but you should have come up with a new workflow for non-CD source material, which is what I'll need to do eventually. The fact that you've lost the authentic original source material just so you can create an image that you can in turn create fake rip logs from is crazy (to me, I appreciate that to you it obviously feels very different). I can't begin to understand your issues, but can you not focus on the authenticity of your collection, rather than the existence of a bunch of text files that mean nothing?

Reply #47
I'm a little OCD with my collecton, still refusing to acknowledge any source outside of CD just so that I can have verified rips (AccurateRip/CTDB), but the thought of creating fake rip logs makes me really uncomfortable.

I never said that the image came directly from anywhere. The lossless WAV from bandcamp was not 16/44,1, hence it was converted to 16/44,1 image+cue
I know you're not going to accept anything other than what you're asking for (which I can't imagine will ever happen), but you should have come up with a new workflow for non-CD source material, which is what I'll need to do eventually. The fact that you've lost the authentic original source material just so you can create an image that you can in turn create fake rip logs from is crazy (to me, I appreciate that to you it obviously feels very different). I can't begin to understand your issues, but can you not focus on the authenticity of your collection, rather than the existence of a bunch of text files that mean nothing?

I just have bigger OCD than you.
I am looking for an alternative software than can handle what EAC and CueTools cannot.
I haven't lost the source material, it's just if the source material is WAV digital download, it get's converted to image+cue so that I can rip it like a normal CD. Unless it's a DVD, or Blu-Ray, for which I use DVDAudioExtractor, of which I remembered just now, so if there is an option to make a DVD folder structure of the source material I could rpi it with DVDae and let it go. In fact, I was converting someone's audio cassette to specifically DVD, so I might still have the software for that in the bowels of my computer.
I cannot.

Reply #48
I want everything that is in a log to be written by the riping/conversion program in EAC-style.
That is not going to log what actually took place, and it is not capable of logging the track durations except by coincidence.

Reply #49
I just have bigger OCD than you.
A medical professional will be able to help you with that better than we will.

I haven't lost the source material, it's just if the source material is WAV digital download, it get's converted to image+cue so that I can rip it like a normal CD.
But it's not a normal CD, so you can't use tools that only support normal CDs.