Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: latest ffDshow incorporates ffVfW (Read 11230 times) previous topic - next topic

latest ffDshow incorporates ffVfW

just as i was getting a tad exasperated that i couldn't find any new builds of ffVfW, i found that it had been merged with it's brother, ffdshow.  (now that i recall, milan said something like that he intended to do this on his site a long time ago).

http://athos.leffe.dnsalias.com/

last build is yesterday.

just trying out the mpeg-2 encoding now

there appear to be some new options (quantizer noise shaping?  intriguing)

please disregard if this is already known, as apparently the last build was integrated with ffvfw too (with the slight bug that if you had a space in the installed folder it wouldn't show up in vfw interface...?  this is now fixed, so you can install in "program files")

later

Reply #1
No, I didn't know this.

I too was wondering why the latest FFvfw was so old. Well, now I know! 

Reply #3
Go figure, that explains why I've been seeing new builds at FileForum that aren't showing up on the dnsalias site.

Duh me.

Reply #4
Stupidest of all stupid questions: What is ffVfw?

Reply #5
its a multi-format vfw based codec (its like ffdshow only you can encode with it too):

it includes several MPEG4 codecs, MPEG1 and 2, MJPEG, DV, etc.

if you have the latest ffdshow installed you probably have ffvfw too. you can acces it in virtualdub or just via ffdshow in the start-menu (vfw configuration)

edit: spelling (does anyone know a good spelling checker for mozilla firefox    )
"We cannot win against obsession. They care, we don't. They win."

Reply #6
vfw: Video For Windows. ACM and VFW are DirectShow ancestors.

Reply #7
SURELY there's a decoder-only version of recent FFDShows availible, seeing as how the Matroska pack has something of the sort? i can't fit FFDShow on CDRs with my DVDRips anymore

Reply #8
SURELY there's a decoder-only version of recent FFDShows availible, seeing as how the Matroska pack has something of the sort? i can't fit FFDShow on CDRs with my DVDRips anymore
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236594"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The decoder only version of ffdshow was compiled by Toff for the matroska pack, supported by Milan, but dont expect him to release this on the official sf.net project page.

If you want to have a build from this, goto #matroska on irc.corecodec.com and ask Toff about it .... but i doubt it will be significantly smaller  ....

Reply #9
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236594"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

While the ffmpeg mpeg4 codec unquestionably has the fastest decoding speed on probably all platforms and has great workarounds for encoder bugs.  I typically have been using the XviD decoder.  Some big improvements have been made in cvs HEAD with the decoding speed.  While it is certainly out of league with ffmpeg it is much faster than 1.01.  Today I tried to build myself a statically linked decoder for myself, for certain reasons this is what you would want.  Tomorrow if I make it work I send you a link.  I could try to reduce the size of the filter.  I am betting I could make it really small .  No promises though.

Reply #10
there appear to be some new options (quantizer noise shaping?  intriguing)

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=198502"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did you try this out?  I am curious if you have.  I myself have not been able to since my ffdshow encoder keeps on crashing.  Does it increase PSNR?  I suspect it won't, but might still increase visual quality while becoming less similar to the source.  I suspect this is some sort of HVS trellis technique, yes, with a adaptive lamda?  Dunno, I have heard talk about this sort of thing on #xvid.  It is intended to reduce ringing primarily.  Sort of sounds like the same thing, but I may be wrong.

Reply #11
Today I tried to build myself a statically linked decoder for myself, for certain reasons this is what you would want.  Tomorrow if I make it work I send you a link.  I could try to reduce the size of the filter.  I am betting I could make it really small .  No promises though.

Make sure it doesnt contain code from Koepi. I am sure he would try to force the XviD Team to put a special license on it, excluding the use from the matroska team    ....  .....

Reply #12
(does anyone know a good spelling checker for mozilla firefox    )
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://www.exchangecode.com/spellbound/]http://www.exchangecode.com/spellbound/[/url]
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #13
[ot]ha, thx![/ot]
"We cannot win against obsession. They care, we don't. They win."