Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar 0.9.4 does not read .rar files (Read 14347 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar 0.9.4 does not read .rar files

hy, my foobar does not read the rar albuns in the media library..

how can i do that?

thanks

Reply #1

how can i do that?

thanks

I'm guessing when you installed foobar, you didn't check the archive reader plugin.

Re-run the installer, and select it this time when you install it.

Reply #2

how can i do that?

thanks

I'm guessing when you installed foobar, you didn't check the archive reader plugin.

Re-run the installer, and select it this time when you install it.

you are right, yesterday i've noticed that.

now i'm having ohter problem... some of the musics in foobar can't be edited (name, album..) any one knows why?
thanks 

Reply #3
Is it this, are you trying to edit a non-taggable file (*.wav or something like that), is it used by another application ("sharing violation") or is it read-only?
Nothing is impossible if you don't need to do it yourself.

Reply #4
Is it this, are you trying to edit a non-taggable file (*.wav or something like that), is it used by another application ("sharing violation") or is it read-only?

no, the files with that problem are some .rar and in the foobar2000 0.8 i could edit them...

Reply #5

no, the files with that problem are some .rar and in the foobar2000 0.8 i could edit them...

What type of files are in the rar?

Reply #6

mp3, i've already solved the problem, the .rar files weren't in read only but the files inside were...

thanks a lot guys ][

Reply #7

mp3, i've already solved the problem, the .rar files weren't in read only but the files inside were...

thanks a lot guys ][

but now i have another problem... i put the files in non read only (.rar files) but i sill can't edit them, and when I unrar them, they are on read only mode...how can i cange the inside rar files to not be on read only mode?

thanks

Reply #8
remove the read-only attribute from the files before you archive them, or check to see if whatever application you are using to pack them has an option to ignore the attributes.

Reply #9
remove the read-only attribute from the files before you archive them, or check to see if whatever application you are using to pack them has an option to ignore the attributes.

i've unchecked read only in all files but the archive my music isn't possible to uncheck the read only mode(ok archives are always on read only mode sorry!)! all rar files aren't on read only and i have extracted some of them and the files aren't in read only mode too!

very strange!

thanks

Reply #10

i've unchecked read only in all files but the archive my music isn't possible to uncheck the read only mode(ok archives are always on read only mode sorry!)! all rar files aren't on read only and i have extracted some of them and the files aren't in read only mode too!

very strange!

thanks

any one?

Reply #11

very strange!

thanks

any one?

ok i've losted my mind and tried to edit all rar albuns on foobar and not just one could be edited!

so the problem is in the .rar files! and they are all on non read only mode!

Reply #12
Does foobar2000 even support writing to archives or files within them?

Reply #14
i never thought it did writing back especially due to the lack of rar writing code available (only the decoder code is available which i thought is what foobar makes use of) as foosion's post indicates towards the end. 7z and zip are the only major formats where writing back could be useful but from my own experience just keeping on top of reading from archives is enough without the complication of write-back handling (and ofcourse if something went wrong then people wouldn't be happy so i don't blame the devs for not wanting to do it).

-daz

Reply #15
but when I used foobar 0.8 I could edit the Names of the tracks on foobar, the problem is in the 0.9.4 version!

Reply #16
i believe that was down to the old cache/database and the changes wouldn't have actually been written into the archive. 0.9x changed that handling and i think this is why you're now viewing it as a bug when it's not really (well that's how i see it)

-daz

Reply #17
i believe that was down to the old cache/database and the changes wouldn't have actually been written into the archive. 0.9x changed that handling and i think this is why you're now viewing it as a bug when it's not really (well that's how i see it)

-daz

yes, but it sould be possible to me to edit the track names that are on .rar archives, or not?
the reason I can't i just don't know! :S

thnks

Reply #18
the old method i believe stored the titles separate of the archive so although it seemed like changes were made they were not (with the edited data read back in when the files in the rar were accessed). so basically edited titles never were saved back to the archives and from what's been mentioned elsewhere it's not going to happen.

-daz

Reply #19
If foobar2000 were to support writing to archives at all, it would be unlikely to support writing to Rar, as compression support would probably require a commercial license. Not that anyone is even considering archive writing support, really.

The only reason your tagging worked with 0.8 is because it would store the changes in the database. The same goes for retagging read-only files, or formats which don't support tagging.

Reply #20
and why doesn't this version support that?
if i can't change the names foobar 0.9 isn't better than 0,8 is worst!

Reply #21
The metadata cache, which was present in 0.8.3 and earlier versions, no longer exists (regrettably).

Reply #22
The metadata cache, which was present in 0.8.3 and earlier versions, no longer exists (regrettably).
That's nonsense. foobar2000 0.9 does use a cache, but it really is just that: a cache that speeds up access to the metadata of a track, not a pseudo-database that shadows the actual metadata and will lose its content when you do something (renaming, moving, or editing tags) to a file outside foobar2000.

Reply #23
Oh. I'll use the correct terminology next time then.

Reply #24
the question is: can you change the names on your foobar of the tracks thar are in .rar files? that's the important thing!