Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar looks... (Read 9425 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar looks...

Ok, this is the deal. I got Foobar when i friend of my said it was good and so on. So i got it, and i liked it. But now one problem poped up in my head, and I would be happy if someone out there could solve it.

I checked some fancy looks to Foobar on this page called www.foobarlooks.tk
They had some real beautiful ones so i tried it out. But one problem was still unsolved.

I choose this little one, so i could have it up and visible all the time, so i could change song, stop and start to play whenever i wanted to. So i put it at the bottom of the screen. Right where the field are. The field with the start button and all.

But when i use a shotcut that is in this field, my fancy looking Foobar look dissappears  So i have to right-click the foobar trat icon and put the look on "in front". Can this be fixed in some way? I mean, it says that it is going to be in front all the time? But it wont.

But then again, maybe i can put it elsewhere.
If you want a picture of the future. Imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever.

Foobar looks...

Reply #1
If no-one can answer that question. Then let me ask this.

Is there anyone out there, that uses a Foobar look. And have that look visible all the time? If so, where in the window do you have it? And what looks are you using.
If you want a picture of the future. Imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever.

Foobar looks...

Reply #2

Since I don´t think that there´s any workaround you really should choose one of the other three corners where no evil start menu is. 

Regards,
The Link

Foobar looks...

Reply #3

Since I don´t think that there´s any workaround you really should choose one of the other three corners where no evil start menu is. 

Regards,
The Link

But then again. Look at you desktop. THere are four corners(correct me if i'm wrong). And the two top corners is directly out of business. Why? Because there should my main window be. Like my webbrowser and so on. So left are the two bottom corners.

I usually had it beside the start button. Just a little more right. The Foobar look is maybe 5 - 6 cm long and had this fray color. it fitted good under the shortcuts that is beside my start button. But, if i now press any of these shortcuts, my precious Foobar look dissappears and i will have to right-click my Foobar tray icon and then "Bring to the front". And i dont wanna do that all the time.

Foobar looks...

Reply #4
Just to make sure that we are not talking about different things:

You have "always on top" enabled? (components-->look-->always on top)

If yes: You don´t mean the start menu itself that covers your look but the programs that start when you click on the shortcuts next to the start menu button? Then I don´t know why because this isn´t the case here.

If no: enable "always on top"

Regards,
The Link

Foobar looks...

Reply #5
I mean this start menu that is covering the whole bottom of you screen. There you can find a start button, and for me, many tiny quick launchers for programs, the current windows and programs that is up, and also all the tray icons. Understand now

Ok, u have located my little look under all the little quick launchers, that can be seen ass little icons. I have it as "Always on top" too, almost forgot. It is when i use one of these little quick launchers that my foobar look dissappears.

Yeah, and also this thing. If i click on my foobar tray icon, to gain the playlist. THen my little foobar look also dissappears into nothingness and i have to pick it up in front again by right-clicking my foobar tay icon-->look-->Bring to front.

Foobar looks...

Reply #6
Well, i still don't understand your issue completely but it doesn´t matter because if you already have "always on top" enabled i don´t have any further idea what you could do.

Perhaps danz, the developer of foo_looks, will see this thread and reply.

Regards,
The Link

Foobar looks...

Reply #7
Yeah, that would be neat. So you can have it at the start menu? Beside the shortcuts? I can only have it with all functions intact at the main desktop. But not at the start menu. I mean, it should work right?

And like i asked in my first answer. Do anyone there use a Foobar look? Where do you then have it? It would be nice to like, link to some screenshots or something.

Foobar looks...

Reply #8
What you are describing is one program (windows taskbar) set to Always on Top, fighting with another program set to Always on Top (foobar2000). The most recent program to have been selected will always be on top (as you might expect).

I don't think there is anything you can do to change this behaviour without losing functionality.. The simplest thing would be to move the foobar look to one of a (small) number of (usually) dead spaces on the screen.. One is just to the left of the minimise button where the titlebar of applications usually are (top right of the screen). Another is just above the taskbar in the centre of the bottom of the screen. Also the top centre of the screen.. These are the places which are least used by programs (in my experience).

Hope that helps!

(edit): Oh another thought, have you thought about making a Toolbar (like the quicklaunch) where the shortcuts are to the foobar2000 exe with various command line options (/play /pause etc..). I don't know the exact syntax of these but I'm sure you could find it by searching the forum..

Foobar looks...

Reply #9
Yeah, saw that now. Just sad that if I put my windows taskbar as NOT always on top. Then my, lets says, myie2 window, will overtake my windows taskbar

That will then end with not seeing my little Foobar look nor the whole taskbar. *sigh*

We will see what i will do. But it is sad that a so fitting Foobar look will go to waste.

Foobar looks...

Reply #10
have you considered using Auto-hide on the taskbar? I personally don't like it but you may find it suits you well..

Foobar looks...

Reply #11
hi

sorry about your problem

i'm part of the foo_looks development team - although danZ is our actual plugin developer

the rest of us work on the skins, graphics & LUA scripts

however, i'm not sure that there is much we can advise, or even do, to help your problems.

foo_looks to designed to use the same always-on-top rules that other windows applications use.. so you may indeed be experincing the conflict of which application 'deserves' to be on the top.

personally, i like to have my skins docked just to the left of the minimize button of my app, so it's always in the top-right area of the screen.

i don't ever have a problem with other windows overlaying my skins

the fact i dock along the top of the screen is the reason why i like to design skins that have short & expanded modes, because when i'm just playing songs i leave it in short mode, and when i want to do something i can switch to expanded mode and view more details

my fooAMP skin is an example of this basic functionality

what i can say...

is that the whole foo_looks design team has been put on hold while we work on foo_looks 2.0 - and that you will love our new skins!!

foobarlooks.tk has not been updated in about a month - and there will soon be a large update with the brand new 2.0 skins

we will also be adding a partner website (run by me) with FAQs on common problems encountered with foo_looks, as well as design-guides for users who want to make their own skins

the new skins are awesome.....

in fact... we may even be able to convince you to keep your fb2k window permanently minimized, and just use foo_looks to control the playlist

watch this space

Foobar looks...

Reply #12
Hope you just dont destroy the current looks of the foobar looks. I mean, i dont really need a playlist? Or do I? Either way, i'm just waiting for the new skins. I thought it was a little thin with skins. And most of them were so big and......uncontrollable

So, good luck with your work. Now i only need to contol my desktop to my foobar look

Foobar looks...

Reply #13
what i can say...
is that the whole foo_looks design team has been put on hold while we work on foo_looks 2.0 - and that you will love our new skins!!

foobarlooks.tk has not been updated in about a month - and there will soon be a large update with the brand new 2.0 skins

we will also be adding a partner website (run by me) with FAQs on common problems encountered with foo_looks, as well as design-guides for users who want to make their own skins

I'm gonna hijack this thread for a second..  any chance that there's PNG + alpha layer support in 2.0??

I'd like to develop some skins for foo_looks, but without this functionality, I just don't have the heart to do it.

Foobar looks...

Reply #14
I use blackbox and a small foo_look that I made, 24 pixels high.

MOD: image --> link

Foobar looks...

Reply #15
I know there is alpha support.  I believe you put
Code: [Select]
int alphablend 200
under the window section of your  _look code.  The '200' is but an example, which is most of the way opaque (scale 0 - 255).

Foobar looks...

Reply #16
what i can say...

I'm gonna hijack this thread for a second..  any chance that there's PNG + alpha layer support in 2.0??

I'd like to develop some skins for foo_looks, but without this functionality, I just don't have the heart to do it.

of course we have PNG alpha-channel support

there is only 1 limitation

we can't currently blend to the desktop

... what this means, is that if you design an irregular shaped skin, it will have a hard edge (like gif transparency)

that's why we are all designing rectangle skins for now

however, multi-layering inside the skin is easy, and much more flexible than wa3 skinning!

here's a little example (taken from a skin in development)

Foobar looks...

Reply #17
Ah, tk32, that's fantastic.  Is having more than one image only supported in the new version?  I've tried loading more than the initial images with everything from:
int srcfilename "/Probe/y.png"

section user1
 string filename "Probe\y.png"

Or simply adding in another image after the initial "section background" file is loaded, but they either cancel out the first image, are ignored by the plugin, or keep it from loading.

I'm working on a very old freeform Winamp skin port, and could get the basics going if I just knew how to do that..
Should I just be patient for the site update?

Foobar looks...

Reply #18
you can use as many graphic files as you like

every single part of the skin has the option to come from a different graphic file

or you can put eveything in one file

we are currently trying to discourage designers from taking the winamp2.x approach (using about 20 different graphics files) simply because it will make your skin folder messy

however, this approach does work

the only requirement at the moment is that all graphics files are in the same dir as the skin code

once we've completed zip archive reader facilities (probably version 2.1) then you will be free to use as many graphics files as you like

what us designers are doing is as follows:

- put the complete skin in a single file
- use a second graphic file for animated graphics

an example of this is the prototype volume dial i designed:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=166056

the graphics have imporved since then however

P.S.

remember to look here for a quite up-to-date list of CANs & CAN'Ts:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=165437

Foobar looks...

Reply #19
Anyone here that know any good Foobar samurize script. Would be very neat to have one. If there is one of course. Also, a little off-topic, but does anyone know any working script to see who is online at ICQ and MSN?

The official homepage is down, for me. And i think there is one there. But I can't reach it

Foobar looks...

Reply #20
You can use foo_text to write a text file and have Samurize read it. OR you could check  advmediainfo.ini in Samurize\Configs to see that Samurize has an official plugin that reads info from Winamp, foobar and QCD. Also if you use that plugin and use function "getPlaylistString" you can use TAGZ title formatting there.

Foobar looks...

Reply #21
You can use foo_text to write a text file and have Samurize read it. OR you could check  advmediainfo.ini in Samurize\Configs to see that Samurize has an official plugin that reads info from Winamp, foobar and QCD. Also if you use that plugin and use function "getPlaylistString" you can use TAGZ title formatting there.

You'll be able to write scripted output to a file for Samurize directly from foo_looks in v2.0 using lua io and the full range of lua and look specfic lua hooks.

eg.

function onplaybacknewtrack(this)
    LOG('writing track info')
    file = openfile("foo_test.txt","w")
    if (file ~= nil) then
 write(file,fb2k_formatTitle(fb2k_getNowPlaying(),"%_filename%",nil))
 closefile(file)
    end
end

Also, their are lua modules that can write xml, html, etc. so there will be additional options using file io in lua

Foobar looks...

Reply #22
I'm not the very best at foobar? where should i put that code you made? What does it do? Should i use it with samurize?

Foobar looks...

Reply #23
I'm not the very best at foobar? where should i put that code you made? What does it do? Should i use it with samurize?

If you are referring to my post I'm simply stating that foo_looks will support file i/o via lua in v2.0 which isn't done yet.  Samurize would be just one application of using file i/o in foo_looks.  There would be others (writing a log of songs played, writing debug info when creating a scripted look, creating HTML of foobar information, etc.)

I don't know anythign about foo_text so I can't help you there.

Foobar looks...

Reply #24
Ok, nut about anza's post? Foo_text? Anyone out there that know what he/she means, and can describe it? WOuld be real nice.

I have searched after the funtion GetPlaylistString but didn't found it in the Foobar plugin. Am i doing it right? Checking after it in the edit config window.