Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Any easy way to load foobar on startup to the system tray? (Read 14913 times) previous topic - next topic

Any easy way to load foobar on startup to the system tray?

I basically want foobar to launch on startup but be in my system tray like every other program.
Can anyone help me?

Reply #1
fb2k doesn't have a tray loader--and hopefully never will. You can always drag a shortcut to your quicklaunch bar if you want.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
create a shortcut of foobar exe, put it into your autostart folder (in win 7 it's in start-> all programs) right click on it, properties, then at the drop down box "execute" choose minimized (i use the german version of win 7, so i'm not sure if the names are the same)

Reply #3
I had tried that and it did not work consistently.

I dont need it minimized but is there anyway to launch it without the entire program popping up, like running in the background?

I ask because i use foo upnp and sometimes when i use another device it wont detect foobar upnp until i launch foobar.

Reply #5
Could someone explain in non technical terms where I add the command to hide foobar?

I do want foobar hidden when it launches on startup, but i also want to be able to open the foobar gui on my pc at times.

I have no idea why someone hopes foobar will never be able to be loaded in a tray, when using it as a server i love programs that minimize to the tray out of the way while still serving files to other components like a 360 or ps3.

Reply #6
Actually i figured this out.

One other question, is there anyway if you click x to close it just minimizes it ? Sometimes I accidently press close or family using the pc close it and then its not available as a server.

Reply #7
Reminds me of a Reeves & Mortimer sketch, where the advice goes something like this:
"If you do get trapped in your flat, try not to get trapped in your flat".

So if you do press close accidentally, try not to press close accidentally.

Can't be more helpful because I'm pretty sure there's no option to minimize instead of close - and from memory this has been discussed and rejected, since fb2k sticks to normal accepted Windows behaviour (i.e. X = close NOT minimize).

Personally I hate programs that minimize on close, since they break the convention and that's why you end up closing when you mean to minimize.

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #8
If you use foobar as a upnp renderer or server, the idea kind of makes sense. Whether or not you change foobar's behaviour to accomodate one component is the question I guess.

Reply #9
Personally I hate programs that minimize on close, since they break the convention and that's why you end up closing when you mean to minimize.
C.

Oh God, lets hope the morons around don't start this into a repeat of previous shit D:....

Re: Any easy way to load foobar on startup to the system tray?

Reply #10
Reviving an old thread as I have the same exact problem as OP. I have my foobar setup as a media server with foo_upnp plugin and want foobar to open as minimized to tray on Windows startup so my AV receiver can find the media server whenever my PC is on. I know how to make foobar open normally on startup but it's annoying to manually minimize it to tray whenever I start my PC.
Actually i figured this out.
What I'm asking seems to be possible, would've been nice if OP would've disclosed how he figured it out...  ::)

Reply #11
I know how to make foobar open normally on startup but it's annoying to manually minimize it to tray whenever I start my PC.
Try using this switch on the shortcut target -

foobar2000.exe /hide

That should make it start minimized, either normally or in the system tray, depending which behavior you have set in preferences.

Cheers :)

Reply #12
Wow, that did it. Can't believe I didn't notice /hide when looking at Commandline guide on wiki. Thanks a lot for the quick answer!  :D

Reply #13
Another option is to use NSSM to start foobar2000.exe as a service. Allows it to automatically restart, if needed.

Reply #14
I use "foobar2000.exe /command:Activate or hide" to use on MMedia key to show or hide player by one key. And this doesn't work like "/hide" on foobar2000 startup. Player starts minimized to panel instead of hidden to tray. Although it had been closed hidden to tray. What can I do?

p.s.: When i press mmedia key once, foobar2000 opens minimized. Twice - foobar2000 is shown. Thrice - it hides to tray normally.

edit: foobar2000 v1.4.6, windows 10 v1903

Reply #15
^ Try the beta of foobar v1.5 which changes that behavior (see change log for beta 1, 4th bullet point, and further beta logs).

Reply #16
Foobar2000 v1.5 works fine. Thank you