Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ASIO output 2.2.2, strange bit depth and sample rate info in logs (Read 768 times) previous topic - next topic

ASIO output 2.2.2, strange bit depth and sample rate info in logs

Hi,

Looong-time Foobar user here.

To test unrelated issue, I've been checking the console log of foobar 2.2 preview (2023-05-23) x64 and found 2 strange things about ASIO output (foo_out_asio 2.2.2) :

1) when I start any 24-bit (or even 32bit just for testing) track this is what I see in the log:
Opening track for playback: "D:\track_name_here.flac"
new service_impl_t<autoproxy_output_v5>(device = "ASIO : Combo384 ASIO 1.03", buffer_length = 0.050s, dither = false, bitdepth = 16)

it shows bitdepth as 16... Is this actually the bitdepth that output is going to use or just a default init value that's logged and it switches to a correct value afterwards (but not shown in the logs)?

DAC uses Amanero Combo384 USB interface with the latest drivers installed and tested with other apps to support 16-32bit with 44.1-384kHz,
No DSPs were active during testing and bit depth is set to auto (the only option for ASIO) in the output device settings in Foobar.

2) when I start playing any track that's above 88/96khz I get this:
autoproxy_output::process_samples() => Input stream [channels: 2, samplerate: 3072000, channel_config: 0x00000003]
autoproxy_output::process_samples() => Output stream [channels: 2, samplerate: 3072000, channel_config: 0x00000003]
autoproxy_output::process_output(transition = 0.000)
autoproxy_output::process_samples(channels = 2, sample_rate = 3072000, channel_config = 0x00000003)
autoproxy_output::process_samples() => Input stream [channels: 2, samplerate: 192000, channel_config: 0x00000003]
autoproxy_output::process_samples() => Output stream [channels: 2, samplerate: 192000, channel_config: 0x00000003]
autoproxy_output::process_output(transition = 0.000)
autoproxy_output::process_samples(channels = 2, sample_rate = 192000, channel_config = 0x00000003)

from the looks of it, it's opening stream with insane sample rate of 3072000 and then switches to a correct one,
with everything lower than 174/192khz I get only one entry for the input stream with correct sample rate.
Is it supposed to be like this?

Let me know if you need any other logs or configured settings.

Would be very grateful for clarification, Thanks!

Re: ASIO output 2.2.2, strange bit depth and sample rate info in logs

Reply #1
Those log entries do not come from ASIO output. If I were to guess, they come from some DSD related ASIO wrapper.

Reply #2
Those log entries do not come from ASIO output. If I were to guess, they come from some DSD related ASIO wrapper.
Interesting, I have the foo_sacd plugin installed, will disable it and check later! Thanks a lot for the hint!
At first I thought that it was related to me botching something in my tweaked build of your SoX Resampler port (Thx a lot for that one!). But then I tested with vanilla version of the plugin and also with clean DSP sheet and result was the same.
It doesn't seem to affect playback itself, but when I enable EQ (via VST) for one my headphones, I see the progress track jerking for a second or two, like it's initializing/resetting twice or something. But it might be just related to how the VST handles stuff...

Reply #3
Indeed, those were logs from foo_input_sacd (when Trace option is enabled). Now my mind is at ease, thanks again!