Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC: how to do a very good job for the liquid station (Read 1369 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC: how to do a very good job for the liquid station

Hi to all,

today my old CD player is passed away... the laser pickup after 10 years of hard work is died :-(

Actually I think that is better go to the liquid music and FLAC is my choice.

My question are how to do the best work with this codec.

1) I use XLD beacuse I use a mac
2) I have a western digital live tv that can read only flac, not other lossless codec

My question is:

- Is important make the CUE file of my CD when I make a backup/rip for my "liquid station"?

If I had understand, the CUE file are only usefull if in future I will reburn to CD the flac file.

Or the CUE file is usefull for other use?

Thanks

Reply #1
You are right, CUE files are only useful if you want to recreate the CD. If you rip to multiple files you don't need one at all. If you own the CD yourself there is hardly any necessity to create a CUE sheet. Some people like to store their albums as single files, so they need a CUE sheet to have chapters for their tracks. I also am quite confident that multiple FLACs are better supported than single files + CUEs across different audio players.

For completeness sake, some people use CUEs to add chapters to long tracks or mixes. This in fact has nothing to do with CDs, and should in my opinion be done by using a container which supports chapters, like Matroska (which, to my knowledge, is supported by the WD player).
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #2
Even when you don't want to write back to CD, cuesheets are useful for at least a couple of purposes. Possibly these:

- FLAGS PRE, that damn thing.

- indices, on those records where these actually contain information. The hidden track one index bonus track issue is well known, but on some CDs there are 'bonus' tracks in pregaps of other tracks as well. There might be interludes not intended to be played except as interludes (i.e. when two tracks are played continuously).

- to for AccurateRip verification at a later sat, if your rip was the first one.