Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Unable to open item for playback (24-bit WMA Lossless decoding is broken on Wind (Read 4363 times) previous topic - next topic

Unable to open item for playback (24-bit WMA Lossless decoding is broken on Wind

Running Windows 10 version 1909 OS Build 18363.778, Foobar2K 1.53, FFmpeg Decoder Wrapper 0.5.5 (FFmpeg builds 4.2.2 for ffmpeg.exe and ffprobe.exe).  Trying to implement the patch to get my 24BPS (bits per sample) WMA files to play with Foobar2K.  I get the error message when trying to play a file of this format:  "Unable to open item for playback (24-bit WMA Lossless decoding is broken on Windows 10, use foo_input_ffmpeg to decode this file):

Windows uses the same file extension (WMA) for both the 16 and 24 BPS and I don't want to use the using the FFmpeg Decoder Wrapper to decode the 16 BPS files since they play fine.  Is there a way using the FFmpeg Decoder Wrapper to identify the 24 BPS WMA files?  As far as I can tell I can only add a "WMA" file extension to the list of files to convert.  

As a side note Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player,  Groove Music, and Wave Pad Sound Editor have no problem playing these files.  Foobar2K is pointing to Windows as the culprit however since the files play in other music players I am thinking it may be Foobar2K that has the problem.   

Re: Unable to open item for playback (24-bit WMA Lossless decoding is broken on Wind

Reply #1
There isn't a way to only use ffmpeg for 24-bit WMAs.

The OS codec is blocked because it doesn't decode all files correctly. The prevention protects your data.

Re: Unable to open item for playback (24-bit WMA Lossless decoding is broken on Wind

Reply #2
There is way to use ffmpeg to decode 24 bit files and decode all other wma files as before. But it requires renaming files (all files can be ranamed in one go with foobar2000). Give double extension to 24 bit files, for example 24l.wma instead of wma, so all software will still see them as normal wma files. Then set up Ffmpeg decoder wrapper to decode *.24l.wma files and in Decoder priority list move Ffmpeg decoder wrapper higher than foobar2000 wma decoder. Don't forget to restart foobar2000.

Foobar2000 is pointing to Windows as the culprit because fb2k uses Windows' decoder and it is broken.

Reply #3
If I remember correctly, Windows fixed their issue with version 1904. It just foobar2000 that has not re-enabled playback.
Processed audio in java and python.

Reply #4
You remember incorrectly. I just verified with Windows 10 version 2004 running latest updates that its built-in WMA Lossless codec can't decode problem tracks bit-perfectly.

Reply #5
Humm okay. I guess that would explain why all my 24 bit WMA lossless files produce silent tracks when converting to wav with dBpoweramp. Oddly enough though, I can convert them to flac and then to wav as a work around.
Processed audio in java and python.

Reply #6
Should https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Lossless_comparison be updated when it comes to WMAL?
Software support: "Abandoned" or something.

Or throw it over to "Other" together with Shorten and Real Lossless.