Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Pinholes in the metallic layer of a CD no longer contain music (Read 24378 times) previous topic - next topic

Pinholes in the metallic layer of a CD no longer contain music

Reply #50
The poster states that the CDs are bought 2nd hand, and then there could now and then show up a false positive “1”, for the obvious reason. I would certainly be suspicious over a used CD with AR matches of twenty except at one track. (BTDT ... and here I'd say that dBpoweramp is a bit too careless about not invoking secure mode, but that is another discussion.)

I've also seen a CD – Pink Floyd: “Pulse”, where The Great Gig In The Sky (disc #2 track #5) had about half the AR confidence as the other tracks – 80-ish vs 160-ish, IIRC. I can only guess that this indicates a manufactoring error, and I can only guess that it would be hard if not impossible to tell from the CD alone (without an authoritative data source) what is most likely “the right” bit stream.

Reply #51
The poster states that the CDs are bought 2nd hand, and then there could now and then show up a false positive “1”, for the obvious reason. I would certainly be suspicious over a used CD with AR matches of twenty except at one track. (BTDT ... and here I'd say that dBpoweramp is a bit too careless about not invoking secure mode, but that is another discussion.)

I've also seen a CD – Pink Floyd: “Pulse”, where The Great Gig In The Sky (disc #2 track #5) had about half the AR confidence as the other tracks – 80-ish vs 160-ish, IIRC. I can only guess that this indicates a manufactoring error, and I can only guess that it would be hard if not impossible to tell from the CD alone (without an authoritative data source) what is most likely “the right” bit stream.

I've come to view Accuraterip as a guide rather than the definitive and final source. I've probably ripped at least 4,000 CD's and I've seen a lot of strange things. In the last couple of weeks I've seen a few discs that were nearly all 2's and then had some numbers like 17 on a track. That made me wonder what happens if people only rip a favorite song, does it get submitted to the database?

Buying used CD's is a great way to go as long as you're careful. I picked up a Tanita Tikaram CD yesterday for $2. The cheapest copy for sale on Amazon was over $11 used. Of the six CD's I bought yesterday everything had faint scratches, but no pinholes, and it all ripped successfully with good numbers.

My proverbial Canary in the Coal Mine scenario is when a secure rip begins to rip frames - that disc is toast for me and gets replaced when the opportunity presents itself.

Reply #52
This is an intersting thing to rip:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Studio-Reco...eppelin+box+set

Common sense would make you think that these discs would differ slightly or drastically from their regular, original albums, but Accuraterip treats each one as just a regular Led Zepplin album and is unable to distinguish this set apart.

I just purchased an Elton John SACD remastered in 2009 or so and Accuraterip stated it was from 1973.

Reply #54
As if AccurateRip contains metadata ...

Give us your play by play list of what happens (in plain English) from the time you open up one of the Accuraterip rippers and insert a CD and end up with a finished rip.

That's the kind of stuff that helps the newbies learn.

Reply #55
The poster states that the CDs are bought 2nd hand, and then there could now and then show up a false positive “1”, for the obvious reason.

Because errors from pinholes are notoriously consistent, to the point that ripping with different drives gives the same result.  Give me a break!

here I'd say that dBpoweramp is a bit too careless about not invoking secure mode

That doesn't matter since a later match becomes secure by definition.  A later submission that doesn't match kicks the entry with a confidence 1 into limbo, along with itself.  They stay in limbo until a subsequent match comes along.  Your concern is a non-starter.

I would certainly be suspicious over a used CD with AR matches of twenty except at one track.

As was just explained, at least the track won't have a confidence of 1.  Just like you, I would be suspicious to see a track with a confidence that was less than 20 by a significant amount, however.

I generally include the exception about manufacturing defects and bugs in ripping software, but to suggest these bugs will be exploited by random damage is arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.  Let's not lose sight of the topic at hand.

Reply #56
Accuraterip stated it was from 1973.

No it didn't!

Give us your play by play list of what happens (in plain English) from the time you open up one of the Accuraterip rippers and insert a CD and end up with a finished rip.

Start a new topic for that, but before doing so maybe do a little research first.  This is not new territory.

I'll allow discussion of AR numbers as they relate to submissions from discs with pinholes.  Any reply that does not directly address the topic as it is titled will trigger thread closure.  Anyone who wishes to address any of the off-topic discussion that has been generated in this thread is free to open a new topic.

Reply #57
Accuraterip stated it was from 1973.

No it didn't!
[/quote]

That gets back to the play by play thing. When you insert a CD, the ripper obviously is using something to identify it.

What?

I've always believed that "what" to be the numbers on the inner ring of the CD.

Is that correct?

Reply #58
Discussion closed.

Anyone who wishes to resume this discussion with material that is on-topic can request that it be reopened via PM.