Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Rip a CD to a single lossless file, and (Read 14617 times) previous topic - next topic

Rip a CD to a single lossless file, and

I want to use EAC to rip an entire CD to a single file using lossless compression, either Monkey's Audio or Flac.  I want to be able to play this file in Winamp, but be able to select individual tracks. 

Also, I want to be able to burn an identical copy of the original CD from this file, preserving the gaps between tracks.

I know how to do this with a .wav file + cue sheet generated by EAC, but how do you do it with something like Monkey's or Flac ?

Reply #1
You can't edit a lossless file directly. You must rip to wav, do what you normally do, and encode all individual wav files to .ape or .flac.

edit: wait, i guess i misunderstood...
i don't know if that's possible with a lossless file.

Reply #2
I found out that monkey audio has something called MakeApl, which almost does what I want.  Apparently it makes a .apl file from a cue sheet, 1 for each song.  This file can be loaded in winamp and specifies a range to be played from the file.  I have to manually edit every .apl it generates though because it points to the .wav file and not the .ape file.

Reply #3
I want to use EAC to rip an entire CD to a single file using lossless compression,

EAC cannot but dBpowerAMP can!

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

You can rip the entire CD into singlle long ape or flac file!

Reply #4
It looks like flac is going to support embedding a cue sheet as metadata in the actual compressed file.

It's already in the prerelease beta, now if only I could figure out how to compile it on win32.. I get a bunch of errors when I open up the .dsw file.

Reply #5
I want to use EAC to rip an entire CD to a single file using lossless compression,

EAC cannot but dBpowerAMP can!

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

You can rip the entire CD into singlle long ape or flac file!

EAC can do that.

Action -> Copy image and create cue-sheet -> compressed.

Set compression to your favorite lossless compressor.

Reply #6
x futility x:

I must admit I haven't used FLAC's CUE sheet support yet so I don't know whether it does what you want, but just in case it doesn't, here's a different suggestion - use the mp3cue plugin for Winamp, it allows you to skip between tracks inside a big image file.

The official site has disappeared, so you can download it here.

Reply #7
I must admit I haven't used FLAC's CUE sheet support yet so I don't know whether it does what you want, but just in case it doesn't, here's a different suggestion - use the mp3cue plugin for Winamp, it allows you to skip between tracks inside a big image file.

This mp3 plugin works for lossless files too?

Reply #8
Too bad mp3cue cannot be modified to accept wav, ape etc. It already does this perfectly for mp3 files.

I use this method to solve the gapless problem. Compress with --alt-preset insane and embed the cue file from EAC.

Is mp3cue open source? Or is it proprietary like encspot?

Reply #9
mp3cue DOES accept .APE .WAV etc.
You just need to have the right file pointed in the .CUEsheet
I think EAC does this automatic.

I've ripped CD to .WAV file, then encoded this whole .WAV to .APE and .MP3 and I've played these 3 files in WinAmp with correct songs listed in mp3cue.

x futility x, I think it's a very good idea to rip the whole CD to an APE file + CUEsheet. Just download the MP3CUE plugin for WinAmp v2.xx and you'll be OK.

Here what it should look like:

PERFORMER "Mike Oldfield"
TITLE "Tres Lunas"
FILE "Mike Oldfield - Tres Lunas.ape" WAVE (Or may be it was APE instead of WAVE? I'm not quite sure, try both)
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Misty"
    ISRC ES5150263010
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "No Man's Land"
    ISRC ES5150263011
    INDEX 00 03:58:06
    INDEX 01 03:59:03
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Return To The Origin"
    ISRC ES5150263012
    INDEX 00 10:05:54
    INDEX 01 10:07:10
  TRACK 04 AUDIO

Here are some links for you:
WinAmp_MP3Cue_v093.exe
WinAmp_MP3Cue_v094.exe

Reply #10
Here what it should look like:

TITLE "Tres Lunas"
FILE "Mike Oldfield - Tres Lunas.ape" WAVE (Or may be it was APE instead of WAVE? I'm not quite sure, try both)

Nope. You can leave the ".wav" file extension in the CUE sheet, it will still work as long as the first part of the filename is identical. And you don't need to change the "WAVE" either.

I wouldn't use EAC's "Copy Image and Create CUE Sheet | Compressed" feature because it messes up the file names (for example, it will name the CUE file "blah.flac.cue"), and it will point the CUE sheet to the FLAC file which is unnecessary. Just rip to WAV and encode to whatever format you want afterwards - that way, the CUE sheet will be left intact.

Reply #11
Cool. Well in this case, does mp3cue still embed the cue sheet into a wav or ape file?

Or do you have to keep the cue separately in the same directory as the ape or wav?

I thought mp3 cue was storing the cue sheet on an id3v2 tag.

Reply #12
Cool. Well in this case, does mp3cue still embed the cue sheet into a wav or ape file?

Or do you have to keep the cue separately in the same directory as the ape or wav?

I thought mp3 cue was storing the cue sheet on an id3v2 tag.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that because I have never used the ID3v2 feature. I guess it would work for any non-MP3 file, but I wouldn't want to rape any format like that.

I'd keep the CUE as a separate file in the same folder with non-MP3 formats.

Reply #13
kennedyb4:

No, mp3cue doesn't embed the .CUE information into the file itself, it rather use the information, stored into the cuesheet to display in WinAmp the whole file as different songs, instead of one big song. The playback ofcourse remains gapless as far as I can remember. (I din't use mp3cue recently)

Volcano:

OK, but it's better if you just rip to ape (or flac, or whatever) with EAC, and then rename the file "blah.flac.cue" to just "blah.cue" and edit
"FILE "Mike Oldfield - Tres Lunas.ape" WAVE" to
"FILE "Mike Oldfield - Tres Lunas.wav" WAVE" if you prefer. But it's better to leave this intact, because if you rip to MP3 (for example) and into cuesheet is written
"FILE "Mike Oldfield - Tres Lunas.mp3ape" WAVE" then you can record one day directly your MP3+CUE (or APE+CUE or whatever) to a CD.
And why do you prefer that your cuesheet points to a wave if you rip to flac?

Reply #14
And why do you prefer that your cuesheet points to a wave if you rip to flac?

Because it works fine that way with mp3cue, and because I won't have to change the ".flac" to ".wav" in the CUE sheet if I want to burn an audio CD later.

Reply #15
OK, I see.

I prefer to EAC -> APE with "APE" cuesheet, or
EAC -> MP3 with "MP3" cuesheet, so my file and my CUEsheet be the same format (same info within, I mean).
So, when I decide to burn to a CD, if it is MP3+CUE I burn directly, if it is APE+CUE I decode to wave first, then edit the CUEsheet to point to that wave. (When Nero will get APE support?  )

You prefer to EAC -> WAVE to get a "WAVE" cuesheet, then encode with your favorite encoder, leaving the cuesheet pointing to a WAV file, because mp3cue doesn't really pay any attention to what kind of filetype points the cuesheet.
When you decide to burn, you decode to WAV and use your original cuesheet (which still points to a WAV file ofcourse.  )

So you never have to edit your CUEsheet, but you have 1 encoding step more.  And ofcourse your CUEsheet points to a (nonexisting) WAV file, while you  have a different type of file.

I think it's a matter of choice. Your variant works better for you, mine for me.
Both seems to be OK.

Reply #16
playing around with the new flac and metaflac i used eac to "Copy Image and Create CUE Sheet | Compressed" feature", then used metaflac to import the cue-sheet into flac file, what i get back is:
Code: [Select]
FILE "dummy.wav" WAVE
 TRACK 01 AUDIO
 TRACK 02 AUDIO
   INDEX 00 05:10:22
   INDEX 01 05:11:32
 TRACK 03 AUDIO
   INDEX 00 11:38:37
   INDEX 01 11:39:02
 TRACK 04 AUDIO
   INDEX 00 17:09:00
   INDEX 01 17:09:65
 TRACK 05 AUDIO
   INDEX 00 22:04:05
   INDEX 01 22:04:65
 TRACK 06 AUDIO
   INDEX 00 26:14:35
   INDEX 01 26:15:15
 TRACK 07 AUDIO
   INDEX 00 30:29:45
   INDEX 01 30:30:47
 TRACK 08 AUDIO
   INDEX 00 37:20:12
   INDEX 01 37:20:35
REM FLAC__lead-in 88200
REM FLAC__lead-out 170 115115700

a. any ideas why original song names are not preserved?
b. how to tag those sections then?
c. how to extract a single cue selection as wav later on?

(btw, the old winamp plug will still break when reading such file and also foobar needs a lot of 'thinking' to finnaly skip that metadata.)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #17
playing around with the new flac and metaflac i used eac to "Copy Image and Create CUE Sheet | Compressed" feature", then used metaflac to import the cue-sheet into flac file, what i get back is:
Code: [Select]
FILE "dummy.wav" WAVE
 TRACK 01 AUDIO
 TRACK 02 AUDIO
   INDEX 00 05:10:22
   INDEX 01 05:11:32
 TRACK 03 AUDIO
   INDEX 00 11:38:37
   INDEX 01 11:39:02
 TRACK 04 AUDIO
   INDEX 00 17:09:00
   INDEX 01 17:09:65
 TRACK 05 AUDIO
   INDEX 00 22:04:05
   INDEX 01 22:04:65
 TRACK 06 AUDIO
   INDEX 00 26:14:35
   INDEX 01 26:15:15
 TRACK 07 AUDIO
   INDEX 00 30:29:45
   INDEX 01 30:30:47
 TRACK 08 AUDIO
   INDEX 00 37:20:12
   INDEX 01 37:20:35
REM FLAC__lead-in 88200
REM FLAC__lead-out 170 115115700

a. any ideas why original song names are not preserved?
b. how to tag those sections then?
c. how to extract a single cue selection as wav later on?

(btw, the old winamp plug will still break when reading such file and also foobar needs a lot of 'thinking' to finnaly skip that metadata.)

The original song names are not preserved by design.  It just stores the times and track indices and such.  Theoretically,  a winamp plugin could come up with a hash from this data, and query the CDDB to return the song names dynamically.

Reply #18
The original song names are not preserved by design. It just stores the times and track indices and such. Theoretically, a winamp plugin could come up with a hash from this data, and query the CDDB to return the song names dynamically.

yes ic, tnx for the answer, what i thought is that this could be usefull to get back either
- 'original' cd or maybe just a
- properly tagged lossy song (from section).
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8

Reply #19
Since we are all in favor of reducing editing steps... When you tell EAC to copy image & create cue sheet, it ignores the filename settings you specify in EAC options.  Is there a way to have it automaticlaly place it in \Artist\Album folder ?

Reply #20
hmm, yeah, this single big file + cue is not what iam looking for..
----------
playing some more, there is a nice eac command line for flac 1.1.0 (for single song-files):

--replay-gain --tag=ARTIST="%a" --tag=ALBUM="%g" --tag=TITLE="%t" --tag=TRACKNUMBER="%n" --tag=DATE="%y" --tag=DESCRIPTION="flac 1.1.0 using default compression"  %s %d

(will apply track type of replaygain + some ogg tags)
-----------
questions:
a. mppenc will take flac as input, is there a way to handle the tags corectly as well? (with a single2single song approach)
b. deleted, fixed.
c. the 1st and only encoder that will apply replay-gain in one step? (cool)
d. how to do album+track gain with a similar eac line?

Reply #21
a. mppenc will take flac as input, is there a way to handle the tags corectly as well? (with a single2single song approach)

yes! use speek's multi frontend - this'll transfer the tags automatically for you. it would be fantastic to be able to transfer the replaygains as well ....

Reply #22
hmm, yeah, this single big file + cue is not what iam looking for..

for cds i prefer the single track approach too, but this'll be great for lp recordings if i can figure how to manually create the cue ... shouldn't be too hard methinks 

Reply #23
for cds i prefer the single track approach too, but this'll be great for lp recordings if i can figure how to manually create the cue ... shouldn't be too hard methinks 

eac/tools/process wav (the wav editor) seems to have all the functions.

Reply #24
I use 1by1 for my player. It uses Winamp plugins, and natively supports cuesheets. The best thing about it, though, is that it doesn't require playlists - it uses a navigator similar to Windows Explorer, so your actual directory structure is your playlist structure.

I used MP3cue for a while with Winamp, but found it buggy and is no longer supported by the author. 1by1 has a small memory footprint and will support cuesheets for mp3, wav, ape, etc.

http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~pesch/