Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: best programs for linux? (Read 4751 times) previous topic - next topic

best programs for linux?

Anyone a linux user here? I'm wondering what the best programs for converting files - lossless or otherwise - on linux are. Also, any good iPod software for Linux that anyone knows of?

Thanks.

best programs for linux?

Reply #1
I think the choices are very obvious on Linux for the most part.  You'll want to use cdparanoia, flac, LAME, and Ogg/Vorbis probably.  You didn't really specify what you want to do, so it's a little too open-ended to answer.

Depending on how you do things, I found abcde as a command line ripper and encoder to be very flexible and it did everything I wanted.  If you want a GUI, you'll probably just want to play around with one to find what is the most intuitive.  I used abcde to get the CDs to FLAC format and then custom scripts to convert to the formats I wanted.  It works very well once you automate it.

I've started using a Mac as my desktop so I'm starting all over, but Linux offered some great choices for ripping and encoding.  I still use the automated process to go from FLAC to other formats.

Not sure about iPod software.

best programs for linux?

Reply #2
Also don't forget to check Grip

best programs for linux?

Reply #4
Well, for mp3 i use Grip and lame.

Lossless, i use flac plus the shn tools.

best programs for linux?

Reply #5
Try GTKPod for your iPod. I've never used it, so YMMV.

Perhaps the answeres to "What is a good ripper/encoder/player for Linux?" should be in the FAQ. A friend of mine, who had been running Linux for a month, was rebooting into Windows to encode files with lame before I showed him that lame also runs on Linux. I'm sure there are others in the same boat.

best programs for linux?

Reply #6
For simple processing SoX is OK.

Taken from the man page :

SoX is a command line program that can convert most popular audio files
       to most other popular audio file formats.  It can optionally change the
       audio  sample data type and apply one or more sound effects to the file
       during this translation.

Also For FLAC toOgg Vorbis, then oggenc is great, as it preserves the tags over the conversion with no extra intervention.