Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CRC mismatches on same tracks across multiple copies of same new disc? (Read 2633 times) previous topic - next topic

CRC mismatches on same tracks across multiple copies of same new disc?

Hello, this seemed like the best place to ask this:

I've got a copy of Numero Group's Unwound box set What Was Wound--and on a few discs I consistently get CRC mismatches when doing Test+Copy.

This seems extremely odd to me, especially when it seems to center on particular tracks. For example, Disc 5 I've got three copies of at this point (they sent a single replacement disc, followed by a second complete set) and tracks 12-18 always mismatch.

For example, this is track 12 over multiple attempts [unfortunately, I'm not completely sure at what point I shift between each of three copies):

Code: [Select]
     Peak level 98.8 %
     Extraction speed 27.3 X
     Test CRC 173B9AC4
     Copy CRC 9325E0F6
     Track not present in AccurateRip database
     Copy OK

---2nd physical copy of disc---

Peak level 98.8 %
     Extraction speed 26.3 X
     Test CRC 1224A8DC
     Copy CRC 173B9AC4
     Copy OK

Peak level 98.8 %
     Extraction speed 15.9 X
     Test CRC 58D369A9
     Copy CRC B9DA8865
     Copy OK

Peak level 98.8 %
     Extraction speed 27.3 X
     Test CRC 9325E0F6
     Copy CRC FE4EB678
     Copy OK

---3rd physical copy of disc---

Peak level 98.8 %
     Extraction speed 27.3 X
     Test CRC 5E1FED87
     Copy CRC BCC5BA7D
     Copy OK

Timing problem 0:02:34

Peak level 98.8 %
     Extraction speed 15.5 X
     Test CRC 182DD20D
     Copy CRC 0A6F8CB4
     Copy finished

That timing error that appears on the 3rd copy was completely new--hadn't seen any errors except the mismatches on the set until this one.

A few CRCs repeat (albeit never in pairs). This particular disc actually skips about 33-50% of the time, while the other discs in the set with CRC mismatches (4/11 discs) I don't think I've noticed audible issues with when playing the original disc, and I mostly notice skips in fewer places than I'm seeing mismatches. A few odd tracks outside the consistently bad ones some times come out consistent across reads, but some never come out the same.

I've ripped a good few hundred+ discs in this drive (LG GH24NSB0) and previously never had issues, outside of the odd used/OOP disc that either needed a cleaning or was truly hosed, nor had any issues with discs I've picked up after these.

Am I crazy, or does this indicate a manufacturing issue?

Certainly the skips (and at least one I hear consistently at roughly the same position on the same track of the same disc in all 3 copies I have of it--~2:20-2:30 on D5, T13) lean me that way, but I've just never seen this many errors, especially (semi-)consistently. And it's also a bit weird to me that the spot I just referenced sometimes plays fine on a variety of CD players (home and car). Sometimes it loops over a single moment in the "classic skip" fashion, and sometimes loops over 15-30s. It often seems that if I skip to the problem track, it plays fine, but if I let it play up to the track I get problems (but neither of those is 100% consistent, just a sort of overarching trend).

Re: CRC mismatches on same tracks across multiple copies of same new disc?

Reply #2
Could very well be. I would have tried a different drive, if you cannot ask for a replacement.

I've had a skip at the same spot in every stereo I have (~2:29 on that track), on all three copies, so I did at least have a different set of hardware (not clear or consistent skipping on other mismatched tracks, though). After two replacements, I felt pretty confident, but they said they've had no other complaints (they're being quite good to me despite that--a replacement disc, then a replacement set, now willing to accept a return after quite some time)

Don't have another SATA drive handy, though I certainly considered that as an option to confirm.

Re: CRC mismatches on same tracks across multiple copies of same new disc?

Reply #3
Ah, you had multiple copies, even. Sorry, read a bit too quickly (... box set ... multiple discs ... multiple copies ... oops).

Manufactoring error, I'd say - but that is not to say that it will skip in every CD player although you tried a few.
(Is the disc in the CUETools database?)