Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tag data mapping. (Read 2705 times) previous topic - next topic

Tag data mapping.

Need help understanding why iTunes no longer able to read some tag data after using new string in EAC.

CD to Flac using EAC
mp3Tag to update tags in flac files
Flac to mp3 using foobar2000 (lame 3.98.4)
ReplayGain - Batch attach Front.jpg using foobar2000
Load iTunes Library to load iPod Classic.

I tried using this string in EAC to make things a little easier:

Code: [Select]
-8 -V -T "ARTIST=%a" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%a" -T "TITLE=%t" -T "ALBUM=%g" -T "DATE=%y" -T "ALBUMSORT=%y" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%n" -T "GENRE=%m" -T "DISCID=%f" %s -o %d

My issue is with: -T "ALBUMARTIST=%a" -T "ALBUMSORT=%y"

The data is there in the mp3 tags but iTunes will not read it.
In short if I use mp3Tag to add these two fields to the flac files iTunes can and will read the albumsort data from the converted mp3 files.

Is foobar2000 for some reason dropping the ball?
My best guess is that it’s some kind of Vorbis Comment mapping issue.
What is mp3Tag doing differently?
And do I forget the short cut or is there a way?

Tag data mapping.

Reply #1
I suspected that writing those fields may require a different method, and a quick search suggests so:

Mp3tag Forums: Sorting tags in iTunes
I have set mp3tag to write id3 v2.4 tags (which it is my understanding I must as iTunes will not otherwise see the tags) and set the ALBUMSORTORDER and PERFORMERSORTORDER tags (as described in the table on id3 tag mappings in the mp3tag documentation). What I've found is that in some cases it appears that iTunes can't read the tags at all as they come up blank in iTunes. I have read that iTunes has some id3 v2.4 compatibility problems, so I am presuming this is an example of this. Is there another way to get the sorting information into the tags such that I can avoid these problems? For example, can I somehow write out id3 v2.3 tags?
Strange, iTunes seems to be able to write the sorting related fields to ID3v2.3 tags, but it isn't capabile of reading them when importing files that already have those fields filled. I would say it's an iTunes bug / quirk.

Edit: Mp3tag seems to write TXXX frames while iTunes illegally writes TSOA, TSOT or TSOP frames that are only supported by ID3v2.4.

So, not only would you have to alter the fields written to the FLAC files, but also I am unsure of whether foobar2000 will transfer them (1) at all or (2) to the (non-standard) dedicated frames rather than to TXXX fields.

Tag data mapping.

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply.  Boy, this can easily go over my know how for sure.
But anyway, I no longer think this has anything to do with my short cut string in EAC and Vorbis Comments.
After running a test it looks more like it's something to with foobar2000 or my tag options setup in foobar.
With foobar2000 v1.1.7 I start using foobar to add Front.jpg to the tags of the new mp3 files instead of using mp3Tag.
So it seems that mp3Tag is handling the tags one way and foober2000 another way. If I use mp3Tag as the last step iTunes reads the full tags.

So here's the thing in foobar my Advanced Tagging option are:
https://picasaweb.google.com/11002858259178...6/PulicViewing#

In mp3Tag:
https://picasaweb.google.com/11002858259178...6/PulicViewing#

These are the settings that work well for me so I've kept using them.

Tag data mapping.

Reply #3
Yeah, I tend to find this sort of thing confusing. The field name presented to the user by any application is often just a cosmetic sheen over whichever ID3v2 frame it’s actually stored in, unless it’s a custom (TXXX) frame, but then some fields for which dedicated frames do exist are stored in a custom frame if the writing application doesn’t know (or want) to map that field name to that frame… so I join you in being bewildered.

Just to confirm: did you try using ALBUMSORTORDER and ARTISTSORTORDER? These are the field names specified by Mp3tag, as I noted above, and I just found this topic suggesting that they should work:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=71355
EDIT: updating foobar to the latest version has added support for ArtistSortOrder, AlbumSortOrder, and TitleSortOrder... but NOT BandSortOrder, which both iTunes and MP3tag recognize.