Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Install the newest foobar2000 with the same plugins and configuration (Read 2427 times) previous topic - next topic

Install the newest foobar2000 with the same plugins and configuration

Hello
I have foobar2000 v1.3.1
I worked hard to configure it and it has a very nice looking, however, I am going to purchase a new PC and I want to install the latest foobar2000 v. 1.4.8 but copying the configuration from my old foobar2000, including plugins, the actual looking with Columns UI, etc.
I would like also to maintain my playlsit...
How may I copy the old configuration into the newest foobar2000 v.1.4.8
If there is a way to do this, I really would thank you for that, because having to configure everything from scratch would be painful, and also I don't remember, to be honest, what I did to configure it so well and with that nice looking.
Cheers

Re: Install the newest foobar2000 with the same plugins and configuration

Reply #1
Use the fb2k "File/Folders/Browse Profile Folder" menu to open the profile folder and then copy everything inside. There'll be a similar folder on the new PC after you've installed fb2k. Close fb2k on the new PC, delete everything in the new profile folder and replace the contents with with your old profile's files and folders.

PS fb2k probably shouldn't be running when you copy the files and folders in your current profile.

Reply #2
Hello, I cannot use "File/Folders/Browse Profile Folder" menu to open the profile folder, because these data are in a hard disk that has a lot of defective sectors giving a lot of errors, sadly I had to change the internal hard disk because it was defective, so this hard disk is not in the PC anymore. It is right now in an external box that convert a SATA III hard disk drive into an external USB hard disk drive. Right now this hard disk is connected to the PC via USB 3.0 and I still can have access to a lot of files and folders, because I am using a special utility to recover data from damaged hard disks, however... I cannot use the foobar2000 menu, so I need to know where is the profile folder.
Any idea about how may I find this folder?
Cheers

Reply #3
By the way... I was able to recover a folder called \foobar2000
and inside I have these folders and files:

\autobackup
\configuration
\index-data
\library
\playlist
\playlist-v1.3
\user-components
database.dat
LargeFieldsConfig.txt
running
theme.fth
version.txt

Is there the information I need?

Reply #4
Yes, that's the folder you're looking for.

Reply #5
Hello MrMister, I did that many times because for testing purposes I move and replicated my Foobar setup across different PC with or without previously installed Foobar.

What I do is this:
1) Make a copy of the current Foobar folder under Programs
2) Make a copy of the current Foobar folder under ...CurrentUser\AddData\Roaming
3) If the target PC is new (no previous Foobar install there), I do a dummy install of foobar using the same version of the setup I am moving there.
4) Copy the source Programs\Foobar onto the corresponding target one
5) Copy the source ...\AppData\Roaming\Foobar onto the corresponding target one
6) Install the new Foobar update(s) if any
7) Reinstall anyway the Encoder Pack

In my experience, this way works fine in 100% of the case with Windows 7.
When using Windows 10, I had some time to then remove some components, delete their used sub-folders, and reinstall.
It looks, at least within my cases, that Windows 10 sometimes uses/set differently the permissions on sub-folders.

Regards, Andrea

Reply #6
Hello, thanks for the replies. I am a bit lost, I guess I am not an advanced users like you.
Okay, I have installed the latest foobar2000 in the new computer.
I have the folder \foobar2000 from the old computer copied in the desktop of the new computer.
The folder \foobar2000 in the new computer is located at C:\Users\My_user_name\AppData\Roaming

The process would be just copy the old \foorbar2000 folder into the new \foobar2000 folder (located at C:\Users\My_user_name\AppData\Roaming) in the new PC? Is this right?

Please, confirm.

Cheers

Reply #7
Well, probably not exactly so...
There are two (2) Foobar folders:
a) one is located in Programs main folder
b) the other in the User ...\AppData\Roaming folder

you have to copy both from the old to the new PC.

Regards, Andrea

Reply #8
Hi, thanks for your reply.
I cannot copy everything or I will replace the new foobar2000 with the old foobar2000 and I do not want that.
I want to maintain the same looking, the same components and the same playlist, but I want all that coming from the old foobar2000 into the newest foobar2000, so I will not have to copy *.exe files, because I will replace new files with the old files.
To avoid confussions, I post all the files and all the folders I have in every folder. Please, tell me exactly what should I copy to the new foobar2000

OLD FOOBAR2000
Folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000

I have these files and folders. What should I copy?

Folder: C:\Users\My_user_name\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000[\b]

I have these files and folders. What should I copy?

Please, let me know what should I copy to grab all the data from the old foobar2000 into the new foobar2000 without replacing exe files, important dll files, etc.

Cheers

Reply #9
The very first reply you received is enough to copy normal foobar2000 setup from one machine to another. The menu command mentioned in there opens the C:\Users\Your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000 directory.

So just copying the foobar2000 dir from the Roaming dir over to the new machine is generally enough. But please note that if you have already started foobar on the new machine you'll have to remove the %appdata%\foobar2000 directory that was automatically created. Otherwise you won't get all of your old settings into use.

For experienced users who may have customizations in the foobar2000 install dir or who just want to make sure their customized installer settings get used I recommend copying both the %ProgramFiles(x86)%\foobar2000 and %appdata%\foobar2000 dirs first, then just running the latest installer. That way all the old settings are in use, installer knows to use the same settings as in the last install and all audio formats get registered for associations with least amount of work.

Reply #10
Case
It works fine as you said, the update process is very simple, I will describe it here step by step to help someone with the same problem and also avoid to read the whole thread.

Migrate your foobar2000 data, configuration, addons and playlist from one computer to another, updating to the latest version of foobar2000
  • To illustrate this procedure we will have two computers COMPUTER1 and COMPUTER2

1. Go to the COMPUTER1 insert a pendrive in an USB port and copy the following folders
The folder foobar2000 located at
C:\Program Files (x86)\

The folder foobar2000 located at
C:\Users\Your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\

Be warned! Your_user_name is the name of your user in this computer.

Be warned! Both folders have the same name, so place them in different places inside your pendrive.

For example the The folder \foobar2000 located at C:\Program Files (x86)\ place it in the pendrive in a folder called \foobar2000software

For example the The folder \foobar2000 located at C:\Users\Your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\ place it in the pendrive in a folder called \foobar2000settings

2. Remove the pendrive from the USB port in the COMPUTER1
3. Go to the COMPUTER2 and insert the pendrive in an USB port
4. Now copy the \foobar2000 folder located in your pendrive at the folder \foobar2000software in your programs files folder in the COMPUTER2, that is
C:\Program Files (x86)\

4. Now copy the \foobar2000 folder located in your pendrive at the folder \foobar2000settings in your settings files folder, that is
C:\Users\Your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\

Be warned! Your_user_name is the name of your user in this computer.

5. Now download the latest installer, visiting this link:
https://www.foobar2000.org/download

6. Download foobar2000, and run it as administrator. Automatically it will detect the presence of old data, in your computer and will ask you to update. Click on update and allow the update process start.

7. When this finish, run foobar2000 normally. If it tells you an error, just ignore it and continue. You should recover everything, configuration, looking, playlist, etc.

That's it.

I would like to suggest to Peter Pawłowski to create a simply utility simplifying this process, grabbing all the data from the key places in the COMPUTER1, and putting it alltogether in a ZIP file, and then, a new installer, allowing you to install from scratch or update via the generated ZIP file.